This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hate To Keep Asking, But

kolka

kolka Explorer

This'll be the last time I'll bother y'all about this bread problem. I just need to know for sure.

Under the post "How did your Thanksgiving go" many of you said that you had good stuffing. One even said that they had gluten stuffing, but it didn't bother her/him. So, you can stuff and roast a turkey with gluten bread and then eat the turkey and not suffer any consequences?

The people who responded with raves about their stuffing used mixes. Is that the only way to get a good stuffing - mixes? Isn't there a good homemade bread?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

par18 Apprentice
This'll be the last time I'll bother y'all about this bread problem. I just need to know for sure.

Under the post "How did your Thanksgiving go" many of you said that you had good stuffing. One even said that they had gluten stuffing, but it didn't bother her/him. So, you can stuff and roast a turkey with gluten bread and then eat the turkey and not suffer any consequences?

The people who responded with raves about their stuffing used mixes. Is that the only way to get a good stuffing - mixes? Isn't there a good homemade bread?

To answer the first question about stuffing with gluten bread I would say no! The second question about non-mix stuffing may depend on whether or not you like something like cornbread. There are stuffings which you can make with sausage and cornbread as an example. My wife used a combination of gluten free sandwich bread and day old cornbread. I'm sure if you search for gluten free stuffing you will find ideas.

Tom

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

My sister actually made mine and this was the first time she ever cooked gluten free.

She used the EnerG brown rice load, she didn't have time to look around and this was the bread that Wegmans sold and she just picked it up and used it.

She diced and minced fresh celery and then used the Wegmans new culinary stock soup for the chicken broth.

It was very good. It had a dark look to it, but it was soft and it went well. It was not Stove Top stuffing but it was very good. Success!

As for the question about actual gluten containing stuffing...I would never eat that, I don't want to be sick!

jerseyangel Proficient

I must have missed the post about gluten bread....

I used The Gluten Free Pantry's French bread. I made a loaf on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, sliced and froze half of it and saved the rest in a zip lock bag in the fridge for the stuffing.

To make the stuffing, I cut the bread into small cubes, spread them on a cookie sheet and baked them at 325 until they were lightly toasted and hard. Then, just use those in whatever stuffing recipe you used to use. I sauteed carrot, celery and onion in Smart Balance and olive oil. Tossed in the bread cubes and threw in a couple teaspoons of poultry seasonning (McCormacks). Then I used Pacific Free Range Chicken Broth to moisten it and bind it all together. You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate. Put it in the oven at 375 about 1/2 hour before you plan to eat!

It was very good--everyone really liked it. :D

Cheri A Contributor

I made Carleigh's pretty much the same as Patti. I baked her the bread I usually bake and toasted the cubes in the oven. I added sauteed celery, onion and cooked it in homemade chicken stock. She added garlic salt to it.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I made gluten-free cornbread (from a mix) and used that along with cooked rice as the main ingredients. Seasonings, onion, celery, etc. could be pretty much anything you want. I looked at several recipes and then just made it up as I went - probably couldn't duplicate it. I used a gluten free pre-made chicken stock (Pacific Foods I think).

tarnalberry Community Regular

And my stuffing isn't bread-based at all. :P (I use a combination of rices, don't stuff the turkey, and free up that space in the oven by cooking it on the stove.) Everyone loves the stuffing, too. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I used Ener-G Light Tapioca and Trader Joe's Brown rice bread. I usually use Ener-G Brown Rice Loaf, but the store was out of it. I cubed it and dried it in the oven. I made homemade cornbread and dried that in cubes too. I mixed in onion, grated carrot, raisins, chopped apples, sage, salt, pepper and chicken broth and stuffed it into the turkey. I served it to all my guests and there was barely any left over. I've made it without cornbread too. Sometimes I'll add dried cranberries.

imsohungry Collaborator

Hi there!

I made my stuffing with no premade mixes. I will be glad to post the recipe, but it is long. My stuffing is "old fashioned" thanksgiving dressing. It takes awhile to make (in other words, it's not put together in thirty minutes like most other things I make are) ;) However, if you're interested, I'll be glad to post it. Just reply and let me know! :) -Julie

clbevilacqua Explorer
Hi there!

I made my stuffing with no premade mixes. I will be glad to post the recipe, but it is long. My stuffing is "old fashioned" thanksgiving dressing. It takes awhile to make (in other words, it's not put together in thirty minutes like most other things I make are) ;) However, if you're interested, I'll be glad to post it. Just reply and let me know! :) -Julie

I would love to have a good recipe for stuffing, if you are willing to post it. Thanks!

imsohungry Collaborator

Sure, I'll be glad to post it. B) I'll pull the recipe out of my cookbook and post it tomorrow! Got to get off-line now...time to go downstairs and be a mommy and wife! :wub:

-Julie :)

Guhlia Rising Star

Mmmmm.... Stuffing.... I just got around to making Thanksgiving dinner the other night. My daughter and I both had colds on Thanksgiving day and I wasn't up to cooking. Here's the recipe I used Open Original Shared Link and here's the bread recipe that I used to make the stuffing Open Original Shared Link. It only takes about two hours to make the stuffing from scratch (including making the bread from scratch). It's so worth it.

hineini Enthusiast

Here is my stuffing recipe:

Gluten-Free Stuffing With Dried Fruit

Open Original Shared Link

It's amazing.

I would NOT eat a turkey that had been stuffed with regular bread stuffing. The way we dealt with this is we made the turkey without any stuffing in it, and made both gluten and non-gluten stuffings which we cooked separately in casserole dishes. I actually think it's tastier and has a better texture when not cooked inside the turkey.

Archived