12 replies to this topic

#1 kolka

kolka

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:26 AM

This'll be the last time I'll bother y'all about this bread problem. I just need to know for sure.

Under the post "How did your Thanksgiving go" many of you said that you had good stuffing. One even said that they had gluten stuffing, but it didn't bother her/him. So, you can stuff and roast a turkey with gluten bread and then eat the turkey and not suffer any consequences?

The people who responded with raves about their stuffing used mixes. Is that the only way to get a good stuffing - mixes? Isn't there a good homemade bread?
DD: gluten-free/casein-free, soy lite, corn lite
Me: Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:16 AM

This'll be the last time I'll bother y'all about this bread problem. I just need to know for sure.

Under the post "How did your Thanksgiving go" many of you said that you had good stuffing. One even said that they had gluten stuffing, but it didn't bother her/him. So, you can stuff and roast a turkey with gluten bread and then eat the turkey and not suffer any consequences?

The people who responded with raves about their stuffing used mixes. Is that the only way to get a good stuffing - mixes? Isn't there a good homemade bread?

To answer the first question about stuffing with gluten bread I would say no! The second question about non-mix stuffing may depend on whether or not you like something like cornbread. There are stuffings which you can make with sausage and cornbread as an example. My wife used a combination of gluten free sandwich bread and day old cornbread. I'm sure if you search for gluten free stuffing you will find ideas.

Tom

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:03 AM

My sister actually made mine and this was the first time she ever cooked gluten free.
She used the EnerG brown rice load, she didn't have time to look around and this was the bread that Wegmans sold and she just picked it up and used it.
She diced and minced fresh celery and then used the Wegmans new culinary stock soup for the chicken broth.
It was very good. It had a dark look to it, but it was soft and it went well. It was not Stove Top stuffing but it was very good. Success!

As for the question about actual gluten containing stuffing...I would never eat that, I don't want to be sick!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

I must have missed the post about gluten bread....

I used The Gluten Free Pantry's French bread. I made a loaf on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, sliced and froze half of it and saved the rest in a zip lock bag in the fridge for the stuffing.

To make the stuffing, I cut the bread into small cubes, spread them on a cookie sheet and baked them at 325 until they were lightly toasted and hard. Then, just use those in whatever stuffing recipe you used to use. I sauteed carrot, celery and onion in Smart Balance and olive oil. Tossed in the bread cubes and threw in a couple teaspoons of poultry seasonning (McCormacks). Then I used Pacific Free Range Chicken Broth to moisten it and bind it all together. You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate. Put it in the oven at 375 about 1/2 hour before you plan to eat!

It was very good--everyone really liked it. :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:44 AM

I made Carleigh's pretty much the same as Patti. I baked her the bread I usually bake and toasted the cubes in the oven. I added sauteed celery, onion and cooked it in homemade chicken stock. She added garlic salt to it.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#6 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:33 AM

I made gluten-free cornbread (from a mix) and used that along with cooked rice as the main ingredients. Seasonings, onion, celery, etc. could be pretty much anything you want. I looked at several recipes and then just made it up as I went - probably couldn't duplicate it. I used a gluten free pre-made chicken stock (Pacific Foods I think).

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

And my stuffing isn't bread-based at all. :P (I use a combination of rices, don't stuff the turkey, and free up that space in the oven by cooking it on the stove.) Everyone loves the stuffing, too. :)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:57 AM

I used Ener-G Light Tapioca and Trader Joe's Brown rice bread. I usually use Ener-G Brown Rice Loaf, but the store was out of it. I cubed it and dried it in the oven. I made homemade cornbread and dried that in cubes too. I mixed in onion, grated carrot, raisins, chopped apples, sage, salt, pepper and chicken broth and stuffed it into the turkey. I served it to all my guests and there was barely any left over. I've made it without cornbread too. Sometimes I'll add dried cranberries.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#9 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hi there!

I made my stuffing with no premade mixes. I will be glad to post the recipe, but it is long. My stuffing is "old fashioned" thanksgiving dressing. It takes awhile to make (in other words, it's not put together in thirty minutes like most other things I make are) ;) However, if you're interested, I'll be glad to post it. Just reply and let me know! :) -Julie
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#10 clbevilacqua

clbevilacqua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hi there!

I made my stuffing with no premade mixes. I will be glad to post the recipe, but it is long. My stuffing is "old fashioned" thanksgiving dressing. It takes awhile to make (in other words, it's not put together in thirty minutes like most other things I make are) ;) However, if you're interested, I'll be glad to post it. Just reply and let me know! :) -Julie

I would love to have a good recipe for stuffing, if you are willing to post it. Thanks!

#11 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

Sure, I'll be glad to post it. B) I'll pull the recipe out of my cookbook and post it tomorrow! Got to get off-line now...time to go downstairs and be a mommy and wife! :wub:

-Julie :)
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#12 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

Mmmmm.... Stuffing.... I just got around to making Thanksgiving dinner the other night. My daughter and I both had colds on Thanksgiving day and I wasn't up to cooking. Here's the recipe I used http://allrecipes.co...ing/detail.aspx and here's the bread recipe that I used to make the stuffing http://www.glutenfre...s...c=27172&hl=. It only takes about two hours to make the stuffing from scratch (including making the bread from scratch). It's so worth it.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#13 hineini

hineini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

Here is my stuffing recipe:

Gluten-Free Stuffing With Dried Fruit
http://glutenfreebay...ried-fruit.html

It's amazing.

I would NOT eat a turkey that had been stuffed with regular bread stuffing. The way we dealt with this is we made the turkey without any stuffing in it, and made both gluten and non-gluten stuffings which we cooked separately in casserole dishes. I actually think it's tastier and has a better texture when not cooked inside the turkey.
*Gluten free since 7/06
*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: