8 replies to this topic

#1 Sinenox

Sinenox

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

I've been told that there are two kinds of caramel color - some contains gluten and some doesn't. :unsure:
How can I tell the difference? I've been avoiding dark sodas since I've heard but frequently my other options are worse for me if, for example, root beer doesn't contain gluten. Does anyone know? Suggestions?

Also, are there any guides to eliminating soy? I've found lots of ingredient lists for gluten but soy seems to be in everything. Ideas? Suggestions?

I'd appreciate the help!
Hereditary Celiac Disease
(misdiagnosed: thyroid, fibro., anemia, lupus, GERD, lactose intol.)
Possible additional sensitivity to soy, legumes.

All these strange symptoms are starting to make sense.
So happy to have found you all.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Caramel color is safe in Canada and the US. The soft drinks made by the Coca Cola Company and the Pepsi Cola Company are all gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mackytack

mackytack

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

Caramel color is safe in Canada and the US. The soft drinks made by the Coca Cola Company and the Pepsi Cola Company are all gluten-free.

hey there! i was wondering how you know all caramel color in the US, and Canada are safe?? I have been reading there is a lot of controversy on that...thanks for any and all info!

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

From Gluten-Free Diet , 2006 ed, by Shelley Case, BSc, RD:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hyrdosylates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn syrup as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose syrup derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

Shelley Case is widely accepted as an expert in this area, and is recognized as such by the Canadian Celiac Association. I trust what she says without question.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

I've been gluten-free for more than 5 years (U.S.) and have never ever found caramel color with gluten. Several folks who have been involved in this for many years (Ann Whelan is one) have looked and looked and can't find caramel color with gluten. This is one of those things that certainly CAN be made with wheat, but it isn't. And in the U.S. now, the wheat HAS to be clearly listed if it's there. It would not be made from barley or rye.

Caramel color simply is not something to worry about any more (and it probably never was).

richard

#6 Sinenox

Sinenox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate the input. I'm glad to know I can go back to drinking what I like.
Hereditary Celiac Disease
(misdiagnosed: thyroid, fibro., anemia, lupus, GERD, lactose intol.)
Possible additional sensitivity to soy, legumes.

All these strange symptoms are starting to make sense.
So happy to have found you all.

#7 mackytack

mackytack

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

From Gluten-Free Diet , 2006 ed, by Shelley Case, BSc, RD:
Shelley Case is widely accepted as an expert in this area, and is recognized as such by the Canadian Celiac Association. I trust what she says without question.

Hey there!

Thank you for the info...I am new to this, as my son has recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance. It has been quite overwhelming! I was looking at the book from Shelley Case...The Gluten Free Diet...A Comprehensive Resource Guide. It looks like a wealth of information...can you tell me more about it?

thanks

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

The book is excellent. It covers labelling and ingredient suitability in practical terms, and covers both the United States and Canada. I had been on the gluten-free diet for several years before I got the book, and still it has been very useful to me. It is well worth the money.
Peter

#9 mackytack

mackytack

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

The book is excellent. It covers labelling and ingredient suitability in practical terms, and covers both the United States and Canada. I had been on the gluten-free diet for several years before I got the book, and still it has been very useful to me. It is well worth the money.

Thanks again psawyer!!! i am going to order the book tonight! i have also been reading The Gluten Free Bible, and have found it to be very helpful/informative. Through trial and error, I am finding things that my son likes/dislikes...I think it's so much to deal with as a child. Anyway, I am open to any information you have...what foods are good, what's a waste etc. Do you subscribe to Living Without? I've also heard that is a great magazine for people with food allergies/intolerances etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: