#1 angel42

angel42

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:15 AM

Hi,
I am newly diagnosed and feel like I will never figure this all out. I had my favorite soup for dinner last night. It never even occured to me the soup would have gluten until I got sick. I need to find a gluten-free canned soup as I cannot afford to get all my soup fresh at health food stores. Do they make gluten-free canned soup?

let me know!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 linds

linds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

healthy choice seems to have a few that are ok. vegetable beef and chicken and white rice. looked ok to me but check the ingredients yourself just to be sure. I have heard that there are a few progresso ones too but i have no idea which ones they are.

#3 Rebecca47

Rebecca47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:04 PM

I dont know if you have a safeway store where you live, but I called safeway and they sent me a list of gluten free foods and I still call when I need to . Anyway back to the question I know that safeway brand Chicken and rice is safe I eat it all the time. B)
[font=Comic Sans MS]Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006
Blood test, No Biopsy
IgA off the scale 44 now 3
IgG 56
(tTG) IgA 25 now 2
(tTG) IgG 1 now 1
now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007
Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006
As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions
Lactose Intolerence

#4 emi_220

emi_220

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

I'm new to this also (i was diagnosed last week!) so I'm also trying to figure this out. I love soup and for canned soup I used to eat progresso but now I'm not sure if the ones I like are okay. I did hear that a lot of their soups are gluten free so I called the company to ask which ones. They didn't give me a very straightforward answer though. The woman said she knew it was there policy to label gluten ingredients on the label (don't most companies do that though? :huh: ) so she said if there isn't malt, barley, or wheat listed then it's okay, but I'm supposed to check the ingredients myself. I might call back though and ask if she knows specific types that are safe so I'll let you know if I find out.

#5 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice (in the convenient microwave cup) is safe! I also eat Imagine and Pacific soups (they come in a carton). I hear Campbells cheesey broccoli is safe, but haven't tried one. I also get great soups from Trader Joes too.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:55 PM

Progresso Cream of Mushroom is gluten free and very good "for canned soup".

I usually make my one and it is very easy.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

Prgresso also has Chicken Cheese Enchilada and Corn Chicken Chowder that are gluten free BUT most of their soups have MSG so if that bothers you, you'd want to avoid that line. Health Valley has several gluten free soups (crm of mush, crm of celery, crm of chicken) but many on here can't tolerate them and think there may be a cc issue. I love Amy's gluten free soups but since they are organic, they are quite pricey.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#8 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

I think the Progresso one is actually "Creamy Mushroom" if I remember right? Or are they two separate ones, Lisa?
One of Progresso's Clam Chowders is safe also. I think the "traditional" one is NOT safe...but the "thick and hearty" (or something like that, I don't have one in my pantry) is safe. But, please read labels!

#9 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

I asked Progresso via Email about their soups (they are Betty Crocker).

Here's the response I got. Pretty good, means we should be able to trust their labeling!

Thank you for contacting Progresso regarding gluten in our Progresso soup.

It is our goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or gluten containing ingredients sourced from these grains, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product’s ingredient label to provide you with current and accurate information. It is best to refer to the ingredient label on the package. We understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you that the product would be gluten free if the ingredient label does not list:
  • Wheat
  • Oats
  • Barley
  • Rye
    Derivatives of these grains that contain gluten. Examples:
    “malt” or “organic malt” are made from barley semolina, durham, tritcale, and spelt are forms of wheat
We do not hide gluten under other ingredients; for example it would not be hidden under Natural Flavors, or Spices.

Additional information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting your health care professional or:

Celiac Sprue Association/United States of America, Inc.

PO Box 31700

Omaha, NE 68131-0700

402-558-0600

Or toll free: 877-CSA-4-CSA (877-272-4272)

www.csaceliacs.org

We hope this information is helpful.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#10 new to LI

new to LI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Amy's also has several types of gluten-free soups.. I love them!

#11 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

Not to burst your bubble, but I can't tolerate Progresso and there was a recent post and some other people said the same thing. I don't know if it is all the chemicals, but I don't do well with it.

Also, someone else recently posted that Imagine is now manufactured in a facility that contains wheat.

It is a personal choice whether you want to avoid eating foods that may have cc issues from being manufactured around wheat. Personally, I have gotten sick too many times from stuff like that so I don't eat any of it. Amy's stuff always gets me sick from cc as well.

So, I loved canned soup, however I haven't found any that is produced in a gluten-free facility and doesn't have MSG or a ton of chemicals, except Pacific, which is just broth, although good broth.

If you are new to the diet then your system needs time to heal. As convenient as it would be, I wouldn't recommend eating a lot of canned soup, especially in the beginning. I learned the hard way and I'm just trying to help out.

#12 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

The Campbells brocolli and cheese soup DOES have gluten :angry:
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#13 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

Check for campbell's soups. I'm not sure what ones are safe in the US but I know theres a lot in canada that are gluten-free and that I can buy at any regular grocery store (most of the time)

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#14 NJKen

NJKen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Some of the Baxter's soups are labeled gluten-free, including the lobster bisque.

Ken

#15 zachsmom

zachsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

Chicken and rice had modified wheat starch. ( cambells )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: