This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Canned Soup?

angel42

angel42 Enthusiast

Hi,

I am newly diagnosed and feel like I will never figure this all out. I had my favorite soup for dinner last night. It never even occured to me the soup would have gluten until I got sick. I need to find a gluten-free canned soup as I cannot afford to get all my soup fresh at health food stores. Do they make gluten-free canned soup?

let me know!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

linds Apprentice

healthy choice seems to have a few that are ok. vegetable beef and chicken and white rice. looked ok to me but check the ingredients yourself just to be sure. I have heard that there are a few progresso ones too but i have no idea which ones they are.

Rebecca47 Contributor

I dont know if you have a safeway store where you live, but I called safeway and they sent me a list of gluten free foods and I still call when I need to . Anyway back to the question I know that safeway brand Chicken and rice is safe I eat it all the time. B)

emi-220 Rookie

I'm new to this also (i was diagnosed last week!) so I'm also trying to figure this out. I love soup and for canned soup I used to eat progresso but now I'm not sure if the ones I like are okay. I did hear that a lot of their soups are gluten free so I called the company to ask which ones. They didn't give me a very straightforward answer though. The woman said she knew it was there policy to label gluten ingredients on the label (don't most companies do that though? :huh: ) so she said if there isn't malt, barley, or wheat listed then it's okay, but I'm supposed to check the ingredients myself. I might call back though and ask if she knows specific types that are safe so I'll let you know if I find out.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice (in the convenient microwave cup) is safe! I also eat Imagine and Pacific soups (they come in a carton). I hear Campbells cheesey broccoli is safe, but haven't tried one. I also get great soups from Trader Joes too.

Lisa Mentor

Progresso Cream of Mushroom is gluten free and very good "for canned soup".

I usually make my one and it is very easy.

floridanative Community Regular

Prgresso also has Chicken Cheese Enchilada and Corn Chicken Chowder that are gluten free BUT most of their soups have MSG so if that bothers you, you'd want to avoid that line. Health Valley has several gluten free soups (crm of mush, crm of celery, crm of chicken) but many on here can't tolerate them and think there may be a cc issue. I love Amy's gluten free soups but since they are organic, they are quite pricey.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

I think the Progresso one is actually "Creamy Mushroom" if I remember right? Or are they two separate ones, Lisa?

One of Progresso's Clam Chowders is safe also. I think the "traditional" one is NOT safe...but the "thick and hearty" (or something like that, I don't have one in my pantry) is safe. But, please read labels!

Franceen Explorer

I asked Progresso via Email about their soups (they are Betty Crocker).

Here's the response I got. Pretty good, means we should be able to trust their labeling!

Thank you for contacting Progresso regarding gluten in our Progresso soup.

It is our goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or gluten containing ingredients sourced from these grains, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product’s ingredient label to provide you with current and accurate information. It is best to refer to the ingredient label on the package. We understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you that the product would be gluten free if the ingredient label does not list:

• Wheat
    • Oats
    • Barley
    • Rye
      Derivatives of these grains that contain gluten. Examples:
      “malt” or “organic malt” are made from barley semolina, durham, tritcale, and spelt are forms of wheat

We do not hide gluten under other ingredients; for example it would not be hidden under Natural Flavors, or Spices.

Additional information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting your health care professional or:

Celiac Sprue Association/United States of America, Inc.

PO Box 31700

Omaha, NE 68131-0700

402-558-0600

Or toll free: 877-CSA-4-CSA (877-272-4272)

Open Original Shared Link

We hope this information is helpful.

new to LI Newbie

Amy's also has several types of gluten-free soups.. I love them!

Guest cassidy

Not to burst your bubble, but I can't tolerate Progresso and there was a recent post and some other people said the same thing. I don't know if it is all the chemicals, but I don't do well with it.

Also, someone else recently posted that Imagine is now manufactured in a facility that contains wheat.

It is a personal choice whether you want to avoid eating foods that may have cc issues from being manufactured around wheat. Personally, I have gotten sick too many times from stuff like that so I don't eat any of it. Amy's stuff always gets me sick from cc as well.

So, I loved canned soup, however I haven't found any that is produced in a gluten-free facility and doesn't have MSG or a ton of chemicals, except Pacific, which is just broth, although good broth.

If you are new to the diet then your system needs time to heal. As convenient as it would be, I wouldn't recommend eating a lot of canned soup, especially in the beginning. I learned the hard way and I'm just trying to help out.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

The Campbells brocolli and cheese soup DOES have gluten :angry:

num1habsfan Rising Star

Check for campbell's soups. I'm not sure what ones are safe in the US but I know theres a lot in canada that are gluten-free and that I can buy at any regular grocery store (most of the time)

~ lisa ~

NJKen Rookie

Some of the Baxter's soups are labeled gluten-free, including the lobster bisque.

Ken

zachsmom Enthusiast

Chicken and rice had modified wheat starch. ( cambells )

grantschoep Contributor

Currently, ALL Campells soups in the US contain gluten, or, at least they don't have them on the gluten free list. Heck, Campells still isn't even using the 2006 labeling laws. Non that I have seen anyhow...

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Healthy Choice (green label) the chicken and rice contains no wheat and it comes in one of those nifty microwave containers so it is portable for work.

I have been using the new Wegmans Culinary Stock broths and then just throwing in tinkaynda pasta or rice and veggies. I make enough for work and home and enjoy.

I believe the Lipton in a cup cream of chicken is also safe, may have changed, been awhile since I used that.

Good Luck!

• 1 year later...
amimartinez2004 Newbie

I dont know about soups, but there is chicken stock that says gluten free & no msg made by Rachel Ray.

Guest lorlyn

I buy Walmarts chicken and rice soup and it is not that expensive and it is very good to have around if you were to get a cold or something. :)

frec Contributor

If you don't mind boxed soups I like Imagine Organic Soups--some have dairy, some have soy, and a few are gfdfsf. Trader Joe's has some similar boxed soups.

Juliebove Rising Star

Shelton's chicken and wild rice soup has no gluten. Some of the Amy's Organics soups are gluten free. I can't remember offhand which ones.

solo Newbie
Currently, ALL Campells soups in the US contain gluten, or, at least they don't have them on the gluten free list. Heck, Campells still isn't even using the 2006 labeling laws. Non that I have seen anyhow...

So that means that Campell's Spaghetti and Meatballs has gluten? I didn't see it on the label.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I make my own soups with Imagine broth. Throw in frozen veggies, meat and seasoning. So easy. You can also throw in par-boiled rice or rice pasta. Freeze for later what you dont eat now. :)

Juliebove Rising Star
So that means that Campell's Spaghetti and Meatballs has gluten? I didn't see it on the label.

They make a spaghetti and meatball soup? What is the spaghetti made of? And what would they put in the meatballs as a binder/stretcher, like crumbs or oats?

Juliebove Rising Star
I make my own soups with Imagine broth. Throw in frozen veggies, meat and seasoning. So easy. You can also throw in par-boiled rice or rice pasta. Freeze for later what you dont eat now. :)

I am doing that right now in my crockpot. Got the broth, chicken and veggies nicely done. Just have to add some pasta.

Archived