16 replies to this topic

#1 kabowman

kabowman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

Tune in to hear Dr. Peter Green interviewed on Oprah and Friends XM Satellite Radio Channel 156!!

Dr. Mehmet Oz interviews Dr. Green on Celiac Disease. This interview airs on Thursday, November 30th at 7am, 1pm, and 7pm.

Please visit http://www.xmradio.com/ or http://www2.oprah.co...m_landing.jhtml

for more information.

This just through our message - too bad I don't get xmradio but maybe someone out here does!!!!
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

husband does...he'll be listening!.... thanks!

#3 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

You beat me to the punch! I was just about to post about this....I'm so excited! I know it's not as good as having a whole Oprah tv show but it's better then nothing! I think you may be able to sign up for a three day or week trial for free on XM site but not certain about that. That's how I listened to the Celiac story on Martha Stewart's Sirius show for free.

p.s. okay you can sign up for a three day free trial. I just did it, it's easy and I use a 'trash' e-mail address that I just empty out every so often. I use it just for a reason such as this so my real addresses don't get crammed with unwanted ads. I figure if Oprah is finally doing something for us, we'd better show our appreciation to her or her staff at her radio show at least.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

That is pretty ironic that Dr. Green is on an Oprah produced program. A year or two ago, the satelite sisters, who had an oprah magazine column got themselves into a stink in the celiac community for something dumb they said They made some comments about the parents of celiac children which of course upset everybody and had them writing into the magazine. Just funny that this segment is also an oprah production :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

Tune in to hear Dr. Peter Green interviewed on Oprah and Friends XM Satellite Radio Channel 156!!

Dr. Mehmet Oz interviews Dr. Green on Celiac Disease. This interview airs on Thursday, November 30th at 7am, 1pm, and 7pm.

Woo hoo! I've signed up for my free trial, and I'm all set. Plus, I just learned that there are archives of the shows so anyone who misses it will be able to catch it later. (With XM, of course)

I must be asking the obvious, but I don't see on the XM site or on the Oprah & Friends' site where it say that Thursday will include a discussion of Celiac. Someone please point me to that. It would be nice to be able to look ahead to what else may be coming, but I just see the "today" and "tomorrow" links.

#6 teebs in WV

teebs in WV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

When I saw the topic of this post I had a panic attack! You see, I listen to Oprah and Friends every day in my car. This past weekend my son brought my XM radio into the house while we were decorating for Christmas, and we never took it back to my car. Soooooooooo I have been without my XM radio and then I see this! I thought for sure that I missed it!

I will be listening for sure!

Thanks for the info!

Tracy
Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.
- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.
- gluten-free since Oct 2005

#7 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

Dr. Green's assistant is the one who put out the listserv notice about Thursdays show so it should be at the times specified. I can't wait! I'm not even going to answer my business phone from 1-2. It's like Christmas came early for me this year! All this great media exposure in such a short time. I think 2007 will be the year for that Celiac and gluten become household words. Not like everyone will have it but there are more of us that have Celiac than many other well know diseases combined. It's our turn to be in the medical spotlight so to speak!

#8 kristend

kristend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Dr. Green's assistant is the one who put out the listserv notice about Thursdays show so it should be at the times specified. I can't wait! I'm not even going to answer my business phone from 1-2. It's like Christmas came early for me this year! All this great media exposure in such a short time. I think 2007 will be the year for that Celiac and gluten become household words. Not like everyone will have it but there are more of us that have Celiac than many other well know diseases combined. It's our turn to be in the medical spotlight so to speak!

Are these eastern, central or pacific time? not sure how this works but I have access to XM and would like to listen. I am in NY..

Thank you...

#9 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:56 AM

Are these eastern, central or pacific time? not sure how this works but I have access to XM and would like to listen. I am in NY..

Thank you...

The times listed in the post above are Eastern. If you follow the oprah.xm link above you'll see a link for Program Schedule. Times are listed in Eastern, but for those who don't want to do the math, there's even a drop-down and you can choose your time zone to adjust the schedule :D

Thanks for asking that question....hehehe, I always assume times listed anywhere reference "my" time zone. I would have missed it! We all know what they say about assuming! But I never learn.

#10 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

bump - it's on at 1 pm EST today

#11 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

I'm not able to listen to it today...did anyone catch it? Was it a good interview? Any interesting points?

Michelle

#12 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

I'm not sure but you may be able to listen in the archive files. I found the interview to be very well done. Dr Green really pushes the biopsy for dx which I don't think necessary if you have positive blood markers for Celaic but like everyone on this board, people can make their own decisions on that matter. He really talked about anemia (yea! that was me) patients who had a hard time getting dx'd if that is their only symptom and he spoke a lot about dental enamel defects and how they are often caused by Celiac as well. He talked about how the med schools here in the US are funded greatly by pharma companies so that's why dcos don't know the currect stats on Celiac as there is no pill for it. He said it was much harder to be on the gluten free diet here than in most of Europe.

After Dr. Green was off Dr. Oz's friend (forgot his name) came on and said that Dr. Oz almost eats gluten free from what he's observed and Dr. Oz said that anyone could probably benefit from eating gluten free as it's very healthy. Knowing my Celiac Mother loves her Snickers and chips I had to laugh at that comment. You can eat a ton of junk and still be gluten free. Dr. Oz also noted that he had never heard that infertility could be caused so that shocked him. He commented that the US is way behind Europe in getting the correct dx for people with Celiac and this is not the first time this has happened. Other conditions have had similar issues. Why does everyone always say we have the best medical care in the US? Do they just mean for cancer since we have more people with cancer than anywhere else on earth? I wonder.

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the report, Tiffany. I wasn't able to listen to it :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:54 AM

For anyone who missed the Dr. Peter Green/Dr. Mehmet Oz broadcast, it has already been placed in the archives
http://www2.oprah.co...z_archive.jhtml

I'm sure you'll need to do as Floridanative suggested earlier and sign up at least for the free 3 day trial. That's what I did to be able to listen to the broadcast live.

If I understood correctly, Dr. Green, thought the test was painless/inexpensive enough that he thought it would be worthwhile if the blood test for Celiac became a population test. (I haven't re-listened, did anyone else pick up on that?)

#15 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:14 AM

For anyone who missed the Dr. Peter Green/Dr. Mehmet Oz broadcast, it has already been placed in the archives
http://www2.oprah.co...z_archive.jhtml

I'm sure you'll need to do as Floridanative suggested earlier and sign up at least for the free 3 day trial. That's what I did to be able to listen to the broadcast live.

If I understood correctly, Dr. Green, thought the test was painless/inexpensive enough that he thought it would be worthwhile if the blood test for Celiac became a population test. (I haven't re-listened, did anyone else pick up on that?)

I'm not sure i heard that as there was so much good info but i did hear (i think) that all people w/the dx of IBS should get it done.
judy
Judy in Southern CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: