2 replies to this topic

#1 jordanandnadia

jordanandnadia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:43 PM

Has anyone found problems with dried fruit? The label doesn't indicate anything non gluten-free, and i totally feel like hell right now. It's the only thing that i can narrow it down to, didn't do anything else, no crosscontamination from anything else, i know that for a fact.
Also, does benedryl or anything like that help when you get this pain? I've been gluten-free for just about 1 yr, and haven't been in this much pain since going gluten-free.
Please, any advice / help will help me tremendously.

thanks
n
Nadia

gluten-free since January 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:37 AM

Nadia, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the production lines were dusted with flour (possibly oat flour) to prevent the fruit from sticking. You'll want to ask the manufacturer about that possibility. Chopped date pieces, especially, are usually coated in a large quantity of oat flour before they are packaged, and maybe the fruit you bought was run just after a batch of dates! I hope you can figure out the specific problem, just to put your mind at ease. By the way, what brand of dried fruit did you eat?
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

Also with dried fruit, you must watch for sulfites. Most dried fruit in the U.S. is dried with sulfites--just look on the label. Many Celiac's, including me, have a problem with sulfites, so be really-really careful. Shirley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: