Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Anxieties/depression

33 posts in this topic

I'm starting to think I got glutened with something over the Thanksgiving Day Holiday. My depression and anxieties are going over board today, and I am not sure what I did. Do any of you get depression and anxieties from getting glutened. I never even paid attention to my turkey. Richard has always said he has never seen a turkey with added gluten, so I never even looked. I don't have any diarrhea or anything like that but my brain is on over load today and I am scared.

BamBam

Ads by Google:

bambam,

can you give us a little bit more info? did you prepare it at your house or did you eat out somewhere? was there any risk of cross contamination? what turkey did you use? (i don't think I've seen one either)

I know that I get very emotional when I've been glutened and often end up crying for no reason. I think a lot of people on this board react that way, too.

I hope you are ok. Maybe someone else will have some good ideas.

Laura

BamBam -

Lots of people do suffer from depression and anxiety as a result of celiac. (Check out the "Questions" thread in the "Pre-Diagnosis" section of the board - many people talked about depression and even severe anxiety.) The good news is that if your anxiety is stemming from gluten, it ought to wear itself out in a while. Good luck!

Excellent excellent thread :)

My panic attacks and agoraphobia is the main reason why I researched gluten free foods. It was TERRIBLE for me, my last bad attach was overseas after endlessly eating foods that I'd normally eat once a fortnight. Being gluten free for me, is a treatment for my anxiety.

I haven't had any big attacks since, only small ones after being glutened and as I got rid of the gluten in my system, so I'm definately in the camp of 'gluten makes me crazy'. :ph34r:

I don't touch any processed meat - even fresh meat, if I'm not sure of where it came from. I LOOOVE turkey but I haven't had it since May.

I am one who gets anxiety and, to a lesser degree, depression from gluten.

Before I was gluten-free, (I was sick, but undiagnosed for 20 years) I would get panic attacks out of nowhere. These almost always occured at restaruants.(!)

It's gotten somewhat better--I've been gluten-free for a year and a half. I still get anxiety and feel very sad and even paranoid when glutened.

I did try an antidepressant, but the side effects were too much. I'm holding off on trying another--I may try St. John's Wort first.

I've read that self basting turkeys have gluten in them!! I guess it's recommended that you DO NOT eat any type of self basting turkey!! I have no idea how true it is, but I read it yesterday somewhere!! ~~A~~

Yep, depression and anxiety are definitely symptoms of glutening for me. But also, I react like that to chocolate as well. With depression and anxiety, it's often difficult to pin down a cause, and probably for a lot of us who do suffer with them, there are many contributing factors. But food allergy/intolerance can definitely be one of them. Hope you're feeling much better soon.

I don't remember the brand of the turkey, it is one I got as a gift last year from where I work. I had the same brand the year before and I called on that one and it was okay, so I like I said, I didn't even call on this one. I pretty much cook and bake everything at home and my husband is also gluten free, so no chance of cross contamination at my house.

Thank you all for your responses. I am hoping this ends soons. I am feeling a little better today.

Bernadette

[OH, I have to admit being glutened affects my behavior as well. Boy do I turn into this monterous person with control problems. I ate at pizza hut on Saturday and had left overs on Sunday and my head is bothering me quite substantually. Irritated easily, flying off the handle, angery and depresses, things are toooooo much to handle.

This also happened last time I got glutened and knew it. THe day before Thanksgiving this year was my one year anniversary with a gluten-free diet. That's the day I began learning and decreasing it and it's taken quiet some tiem to be 100% gluten-free that I know of. My daughter acts the same way when being glutened too. I am needing to go to gluten annonyomous please!

HI, I'm Nicole and I ate gluten knowingly. I have a gluten intolerance problem."

Nicole

One thing to consider - and I only say this because you note that you don't think you could have realistically gotten anything that has gluten in it as you cooked a likely safe dinner in a likely safe location - is that it's psychosomatic. That does *not* make it any less real - the mind/body connection is *very* real. It doesn't mean that it's "in your head" in the sense that you're imagining it either. But if you've been concerned, even subconsciously, about not checking that turkey, or about something else (gluten related or not) in your life, to a really high degree, that could be part of the problem. Basically 'worried sick', only, in this case, 'worried anxious and depressed'. I've done that from not checking on food before, when I had every reason in the world to believe it was safe (and it turned out to be).

(Ha! This condition will get us coming and going, eh?)

Of course, if gluten did slip in some how, I think plenty of us have had it affect our mood (it makes me quite cranky, sometimes it comes close to depressed, though usually more just anti-social), so if you really think there's a gluten source, that could be a player in the anxiety and depression.

The possible source of gluten in turkey is in the solution they inject for "self-basting". Many broths contain hydrolyzed vegetable protein, which could be derived from wheat, as well as undefined "flavoring", so that's what you have to look out for. Certain brands don't have that, so check with the manufacturers. And you never know what cross-contamination can occur before you even bring your food home, so it probably was not from something you did, but occurred without your consent and approval! Feel better soon.

BamBam and others, While I'm very sorry you all are going thru this, I am VERY glad to know it's not "just me". I can tell when I have gluten because I get so anxiety-ridden and have depression. The thing that drives me nuts is I get anxiety over things that normally don't bother me or possible events that normally don't even cross my mind! And then I can't get them out of my head until I've eaten really strict and clean for a few days. I'm glad you started this thread. I've been feeling out of whack the last two days because I was stupid and ate pasta as a 'treat'. Yeah, some treat! I noticed late last night I was worrying about some possible scenerio that normally I wouldn't think twice about. I was so mad at myself. Today I've been very careful about my diet and I've been doing relaxation exercises and breathing techniques to help me unclench my muscles. You'd think after a few years, I'd have learned not to do something like this :angry:

I cheated this weekend. I love chicken wings from Outback and I snapped ate about 6 of them. I feel bloated and my eyes and head hurt today. Can anyone give me the usual side effects of cheating and how long it takes to get it out of your system? Can I drink more water to remove it quicker?

My symptoms usually last about a week. I have been soooo good about not cheating and have not even had a desire to cheat until this past weekend. I have been fairly gluten-free for about a year and have had no problem feeling deprived during the holidays...made it through Thanksgiving with no problem. But then I went to a Pizza Hut party with my kids and didn't eat beforehand. Anyway, I ate two pieces and didn't feel any immediate effects and then thought maybe I had "healed" enough to cheat every now and then, so I ate some Christmas cookies while baking the next day. Bad mistake!!! I have been reeling ever since. Anxiety, depression, can't even complete thoughts and incredible bone and joint pain, but strangely no stomach problems. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to speed up the detox process? Sometimes drinking a can of Red Bull helps my aches, but I hate having to wait at least a week for clear thinking. Has anyone tried the bath detoxes?

Also, another interesting side effect after being glutened is I have incredible energy, almost like a high and can stay up late into the night cleaning my house...almost like obsessive/compulsive and insomnia and then I crash a couple of days later.

I don't know of any way to clear the gluten out of your system faster. I'm sorry I can't help with that. When I get glutened, I get anxious, depressed, manic, and suicidal. As long as I stay away from the gluten, I'm not manic or suicidal. Therefore, I don't cheat!

I am one who gets anxiety and, to a lesser degree, depression from gluten.

Before I was gluten-free, (I was sick, but undiagnosed for 20 years) I would get panic attacks out of nowhere. These almost always occured at restaruants.(!)

It's gotten somewhat better--I've been gluten-free for a year and a half. I still get anxiety and feel very sad and even paranoid when glutened.

I did try an antidepressant, but the side effects were too much. I'm holding off on trying another--I may try St. John's Wort first.

I had anxiety attacks for nearly 30 years, almost always after or during eating. Haven't had a single one since going gluten-free. It makes me want to join support groups for anxiety depression long enough to tell each and every person there to consider going gluten-free.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to speed up the detox process?

I've read on this forum a time or two that it's more than just "getting it out of your system" as the gluten causes an autoimmune response that continues after the gluten has long since left the intestinal tract. This is why it can continue for a week or more. Each person's recovery time is different.

Some have mentioned eating bananas (for the potassium?) or just not eating at all for a while. I should think that less food could help an inflamed intestinal lining as long as it was very bland. But that wouldn't help the anxiety and depression.

Has anyone used St. John's Wort for anxiety and depression after glutening and found it to be helpful? Just curious. I guess it can't hurt (as long as there were no gluten in the capsules!!!)

I'm pretty sure that St. Johnn's Wort thins the blood - which is fine for most folks, but dangerous for some. Just thought I'd pass it on, being in the "some" category, and knowing how important it is.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I notice when I get glutened I get very moody and down in the dumps. I am usually a happy-go-lucky person but if I get glutened I can go from happy to mopey and then I get emotional, crying and such. I feel as if I have no friends and everyone is mad at me. It is a horrible feeling. Since it only ever happened when I got glutened I would not go on any sort of Meds for it. I just am very very careful not to get glutened. I do understand how you feel though.

before I knew I had celiac I also would get the panic attacks and just like JerseyAngel it happened when we were dining out. I would get very on edge and before I knew I had celiac I would worry about getting sick while we were out to eat and by the end of the meal I was running for the bathroom. I used to think I was worrying so much I was making myself sick.

Now I go out to my trusted dining places and have no problems. I do not panic anymore and overall, I feel like my normal self.

Oh my gosh! I thought I was losing my mind! I too cheated just a smidgen this past weekend and since then I've had headaches, crying jags, moodiness, depression, you name it. And to think that twice in the past 10 years I was diagnosed with depression, when maybe it was gluten! Stress brings this on a little, but after reading everyone's testimonials, I'm actually relieved. I thought I was getting the flu with the achiness and crying. Xanax has helped, but those dang Hallmark commercials get me every time!

My dietician told me not to eat any frozen meats, they have more preservatives...and more likely to have gluten in them (msg). You can order fresh turkeys that are safer. I hate all the conveniences that are gone from when I used to not have Celiac. I hate that I have numbness in hands and feet that I never had before, no I'm not 100% Gluten Free...I am still struggling...1 yr. anniversary this mo. Lately I have been having more head aches than I ever have...never had them enough to even say I have. My family thinks I have been grumpy alot lately. Maybe it's just stress...I don't know what the gluten won't effect...I think they havent' found out everything. I'm just glad I know what I can do to make myself feel better, too bad it includes not eating things I love...and cooking more. I used to be the queen of tv dinners...at least I am making more of an effort to eat better. Good luck to you! B)

Hello:)

I ate 3 wheat pancakes on Christmas Morning after a misunderstanding about gluten free pancakes that were on the stove, I ate the wheat ones on the table. HORROR! So its now been a week and I am still feeling it. I have found that daily excerize, lots of herbals tea, water and real ginger ale( not sugar loaded pop, but ginger ale from health food store with real ginger) and lots of gluten-free food is helping me stay motivated to not give up as I have been feeling awful since the pancake horror:) I have been sleeping alot, however having a very difficult time sleeping at night, I am sleeping about 5 hours a day napping, then am exhausted at bed time, but cant stay alseep....not fun! I have also been super cranky and have a'short fuse' with people. As far as what one an do to speed up the detox....sometimes I find that eating a bowl of plain airpopped popcorn and some gingerale can calm my tummy and get things moving through alot faster then not eating anything at all ( which I have done in the past). My New Years resolution is to be more strict and careful than ever! Yoga, sleep, excersize, tea, gingerale and good gluten-free foods are my adivce when recovering from a gluten reaction. It truly sucks! But eventually will be better:)

Canadia girl

I am finding this to be a very interesting thread. The reason being that I have been fighting anxiety and depression for years. I have tryed natural approaches and medication but I have never found myself truly getting it under control. Due to the number of other issues I have (constipation,heat intolerance,flushing,etc), I am now beginning to think that they are not the central issue, but rather the result of something else. Looking into thyroid and food intolerances so hopefully will be able to get some answers soon and get the anxiety / depression finally under control.

Oy vey- When I get gluten in my system, all heck breaks loose! I am F.I.N.E FINE (f'ed up, insecure, neurotic and emotional). It's really horrible what it does to me emotionally. I've noticed that for me the GI symptoms hit first and I more or less have brain fog and act confused. About 4-5 days later, I'm feeling better physically, but that's when the emotional symptoms kick in.

I have been on medication for 18 years and I often wonder if I would not have gone through what I went through with depression/anxiety if it weren't for gluten.