32 replies to this topic

#1 BamBam

BamBam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:38 PM

I'm starting to think I got glutened with something over the Thanksgiving Day Holiday. My depression and anxieties are going over board today, and I am not sure what I did. Do any of you get depression and anxieties from getting glutened. I never even paid attention to my turkey. Richard has always said he has never seen a turkey with added gluten, so I never even looked. I don't have any diarrhea or anything like that but my brain is on over load today and I am scared.

BamBam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

bambam,
can you give us a little bit more info? did you prepare it at your house or did you eat out somewhere? was there any risk of cross contamination? what turkey did you use? (i don't think I've seen one either)
I know that I get very emotional when I've been glutened and often end up crying for no reason. I think a lot of people on this board react that way, too.
I hope you are ok. Maybe someone else will have some good ideas.
Laura

#3 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

BamBam -

Lots of people do suffer from depression and anxiety as a result of celiac. (Check out the "Questions" thread in the "Pre-Diagnosis" section of the board - many people talked about depression and even severe anxiety.) The good news is that if your anxiety is stemming from gluten, it ought to wear itself out in a while. Good luck!

#4 tracey*

tracey*

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

Excellent excellent thread :)

My panic attacks and agoraphobia is the main reason why I researched gluten free foods. It was TERRIBLE for me, my last bad attach was overseas after endlessly eating foods that I'd normally eat once a fortnight. Being gluten free for me, is a treatment for my anxiety.

I haven't had any big attacks since, only small ones after being glutened and as I got rid of the gluten in my system, so I'm definately in the camp of 'gluten makes me crazy'. :ph34r:

I don't touch any processed meat - even fresh meat, if I'm not sure of where it came from. I LOOOVE turkey but I haven't had it since May.
wheat free & yeast free since may '06
also lactose intolerant

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:20 AM

I am one who gets anxiety and, to a lesser degree, depression from gluten.

Before I was gluten-free, (I was sick, but undiagnosed for 20 years) I would get panic attacks out of nowhere. These almost always occured at restaruants.(!)

It's gotten somewhat better--I've been gluten-free for a year and a half. I still get anxiety and feel very sad and even paranoid when glutened.

I did try an antidepressant, but the side effects were too much. I'm holding off on trying another--I may try St. John's Wort first.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 Electra

Electra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:30 AM

I've read that self basting turkeys have gluten in them!! I guess it's recommended that you DO NOT eat any type of self basting turkey!! I have no idea how true it is, but I read it yesterday somewhere!! ~~A~~
~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995
Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06
Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07
DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07
Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

#7 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:04 AM

Yep, depression and anxiety are definitely symptoms of glutening for me. But also, I react like that to chocolate as well. With depression and anxiety, it's often difficult to pin down a cause, and probably for a lot of us who do suffer with them, there are many contributing factors. But food allergy/intolerance can definitely be one of them. Hope you're feeling much better soon.
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#8 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

I don't remember the brand of the turkey, it is one I got as a gift last year from where I work. I had the same brand the year before and I called on that one and it was okay, so I like I said, I didn't even call on this one. I pretty much cook and bake everything at home and my husband is also gluten free, so no chance of cross contamination at my house.

Thank you all for your responses. I am hoping this ends soons. I am feeling a little better today.

Bernadette
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#9 happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:02 AM

[OH, I have to admit being glutened affects my behavior as well. Boy do I turn into this monterous person with control problems. I ate at pizza hut on Saturday and had left overs on Sunday and my head is bothering me quite substantually. Irritated easily, flying off the handle, angery and depresses, things are toooooo much to handle.
This also happened last time I got glutened and knew it. THe day before Thanksgiving this year was my one year anniversary with a gluten-free diet. That's the day I began learning and decreasing it and it's taken quiet some tiem to be 100% gluten-free that I know of. My daughter acts the same way when being glutened too. I am needing to go to gluten annonyomous please!
HI, I'm Nicole and I ate gluten knowingly. I have a gluten intolerance problem."

Nicole
Dolphin Joy,
Nicole

gluten intolerant/ 2005
dd gluten intolerant/ 2006

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

One thing to consider - and I only say this because you note that you don't think you could have realistically gotten anything that has gluten in it as you cooked a likely safe dinner in a likely safe location - is that it's psychosomatic. That does *not* make it any less real - the mind/body connection is *very* real. It doesn't mean that it's "in your head" in the sense that you're imagining it either. But if you've been concerned, even subconsciously, about not checking that turkey, or about something else (gluten related or not) in your life, to a really high degree, that could be part of the problem. Basically 'worried sick', only, in this case, 'worried anxious and depressed'. I've done that from not checking on food before, when I had every reason in the world to believe it was safe (and it turned out to be).

(Ha! This condition will get us coming and going, eh?)

Of course, if gluten did slip in some how, I think plenty of us have had it affect our mood (it makes me quite cranky, sometimes it comes close to depressed, though usually more just anti-social), so if you really think there's a gluten source, that could be a player in the anxiety and depression.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

The possible source of gluten in turkey is in the solution they inject for "self-basting". Many broths contain hydrolyzed vegetable protein, which could be derived from wheat, as well as undefined "flavoring", so that's what you have to look out for. Certain brands don't have that, so check with the manufacturers. And you never know what cross-contamination can occur before you even bring your food home, so it probably was not from something you did, but occurred without your consent and approval! Feel better soon.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#12 Ann1231

Ann1231

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

BamBam and others, While I'm very sorry you all are going thru this, I am VERY glad to know it's not "just me". I can tell when I have gluten because I get so anxiety-ridden and have depression. The thing that drives me nuts is I get anxiety over things that normally don't bother me or possible events that normally don't even cross my mind! And then I can't get them out of my head until I've eaten really strict and clean for a few days. I'm glad you started this thread. I've been feeling out of whack the last two days because I was stupid and ate pasta as a 'treat'. Yeah, some treat! I noticed late last night I was worrying about some possible scenerio that normally I wouldn't think twice about. I was so mad at myself. Today I've been very careful about my diet and I've been doing relaxation exercises and breathing techniques to help me unclench my muscles. You'd think after a few years, I'd have learned not to do something like this :angry:
hypothyroid
hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)
fibromyalgia
rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)
peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

#13 dennymel

dennymel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

I cheated this weekend. I love chicken wings from Outback and I snapped ate about 6 of them. I feel bloated and my eyes and head hurt today. Can anyone give me the usual side effects of cheating and how long it takes to get it out of your system? Can I drink more water to remove it quicker?

#14 Guest_MyKidsMom_*

Guest_MyKidsMom_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:03 AM

My symptoms usually last about a week. I have been soooo good about not cheating and have not even had a desire to cheat until this past weekend. I have been fairly gluten-free for about a year and have had no problem feeling deprived during the holidays...made it through Thanksgiving with no problem. But then I went to a Pizza Hut party with my kids and didn't eat beforehand. Anyway, I ate two pieces and didn't feel any immediate effects and then thought maybe I had "healed" enough to cheat every now and then, so I ate some Christmas cookies while baking the next day. Bad mistake!!! I have been reeling ever since. Anxiety, depression, can't even complete thoughts and incredible bone and joint pain, but strangely no stomach problems. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to speed up the detox process? Sometimes drinking a can of Red Bull helps my aches, but I hate having to wait at least a week for clear thinking. Has anyone tried the bath detoxes?

Also, another interesting side effect after being glutened is I have incredible energy, almost like a high and can stay up late into the night cleaning my house...almost like obsessive/compulsive and insomnia and then I crash a couple of days later.

#15 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

I don't know of any way to clear the gluten out of your system faster. I'm sorry I can't help with that. When I get glutened, I get anxious, depressed, manic, and suicidal. As long as I stay away from the gluten, I'm not manic or suicidal. Therefore, I don't cheat!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: