32 replies to this topic

#16 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

I am one who gets anxiety and, to a lesser degree, depression from gluten.

Before I was gluten-free, (I was sick, but undiagnosed for 20 years) I would get panic attacks out of nowhere. These almost always occured at restaruants.(!)

It's gotten somewhat better--I've been gluten-free for a year and a half. I still get anxiety and feel very sad and even paranoid when glutened.

I did try an antidepressant, but the side effects were too much. I'm holding off on trying another--I may try St. John's Wort first.

I had anxiety attacks for nearly 30 years, almost always after or during eating. Haven't had a single one since going gluten-free. It makes me want to join support groups for anxiety depression long enough to tell each and every person there to consider going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to speed up the detox process?

I've read on this forum a time or two that it's more than just "getting it out of your system" as the gluten causes an autoimmune response that continues after the gluten has long since left the intestinal tract. This is why it can continue for a week or more. Each person's recovery time is different.

Some have mentioned eating bananas (for the potassium?) or just not eating at all for a while. I should think that less food could help an inflamed intestinal lining as long as it was very bland. But that wouldn't help the anxiety and depression.

Has anyone used St. John's Wort for anxiety and depression after glutening and found it to be helpful? Just curious. I guess it can't hurt (as long as there were no gluten in the capsules!!!)
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#18 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that St. Johnn's Wort thins the blood - which is fine for most folks, but dangerous for some. Just thought I'd pass it on, being in the "some" category, and knowing how important it is.

#19 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:37 AM

Thanks, that's good to know.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#20 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:05 AM

I notice when I get glutened I get very moody and down in the dumps. I am usually a happy-go-lucky person but if I get glutened I can go from happy to mopey and then I get emotional, crying and such. I feel as if I have no friends and everyone is mad at me. It is a horrible feeling. Since it only ever happened when I got glutened I would not go on any sort of Meds for it. I just am very very careful not to get glutened. I do understand how you feel though.
before I knew I had celiac I also would get the panic attacks and just like JerseyAngel it happened when we were dining out. I would get very on edge and before I knew I had celiac I would worry about getting sick while we were out to eat and by the end of the meal I was running for the bathroom. I used to think I was worrying so much I was making myself sick.
Now I go out to my trusted dining places and have no problems. I do not panic anymore and overall, I feel like my normal self.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#21 booboo

booboo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:32 AM

Oh my gosh! I thought I was losing my mind! I too cheated just a smidgen this past weekend and since then I've had headaches, crying jags, moodiness, depression, you name it. And to think that twice in the past 10 years I was diagnosed with depression, when maybe it was gluten! Stress brings this on a little, but after reading everyone's testimonials, I'm actually relieved. I thought I was getting the flu with the achiness and crying. Xanax has helped, but those dang Hallmark commercials get me every time!

#22 Alvina214

Alvina214

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

My dietician told me not to eat any frozen meats, they have more preservatives...and more likely to have gluten in them (msg). You can order fresh turkeys that are safer. I hate all the conveniences that are gone from when I used to not have Celiac. I hate that I have numbness in hands and feet that I never had before, no I'm not 100% Gluten Free...I am still struggling...1 yr. anniversary this mo. Lately I have been having more head aches than I ever have...never had them enough to even say I have. My family thinks I have been grumpy alot lately. Maybe it's just stress...I don't know what the gluten won't effect...I think they havent' found out everything. I'm just glad I know what I can do to make myself feel better, too bad it includes not eating things I love...and cooking more. I used to be the queen of tv dinners...at least I am making more of an effort to eat better. Good luck to you! B)
T. Zitelman

"You can do anything you put your mind to!"

"Try something different, anything you've never done before!"

"Live, Love, Laugh"

#23 Canadiangirl

Canadiangirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hello:)
I ate 3 wheat pancakes on Christmas Morning after a misunderstanding about gluten free pancakes that were on the stove, I ate the wheat ones on the table. HORROR! So its now been a week and I am still feeling it. I have found that daily excerize, lots of herbals tea, water and real ginger ale( not sugar loaded pop, but ginger ale from health food store with real ginger) and lots of gluten-free food is helping me stay motivated to not give up as I have been feeling awful since the pancake horror:) I have been sleeping alot, however having a very difficult time sleeping at night, I am sleeping about 5 hours a day napping, then am exhausted at bed time, but cant stay alseep....not fun! I have also been super cranky and have a'short fuse' with people. As far as what one an do to speed up the detox....sometimes I find that eating a bowl of plain airpopped popcorn and some gingerale can calm my tummy and get things moving through alot faster then not eating anything at all ( which I have done in the past). My New Years resolution is to be more strict and careful than ever! Yoga, sleep, excersize, tea, gingerale and good gluten-free foods are my adivce when recovering from a gluten reaction. It truly sucks! But eventually will be better:)

Canadia girl
one day at a time :)

#24 outOfThisWorld

outOfThisWorld

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

I am finding this to be a very interesting thread. The reason being that I have been fighting anxiety and depression for years. I have tryed natural approaches and medication but I have never found myself truly getting it under control. Due to the number of other issues I have (constipation,heat intolerance,flushing,etc), I am now beginning to think that they are not the central issue, but rather the result of something else. Looking into thyroid and food intolerances so hopefully will be able to get some answers soon and get the anxiety / depression finally under control.
Aussie looking for answers
Celiac Bloodtest :: Negative

#25 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Oy vey- When I get gluten in my system, all heck breaks loose! I am F.I.N.E FINE (f'ed up, insecure, neurotic and emotional). It's really horrible what it does to me emotionally. I've noticed that for me the GI symptoms hit first and I more or less have brain fog and act confused. About 4-5 days later, I'm feeling better physically, but that's when the emotional symptoms kick in.

I have been on medication for 18 years and I often wonder if I would not have gone through what I went through with depression/anxiety if it weren't for gluten.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#26 naturalmomma

naturalmomma

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

I too experience so many emotional troubles with gluten. I was a fairly bright talented kid and changed overnight. Of course my family hasnt liked me much since ,they think Im crazy. I developed an eating disorder got pregnant at 17......not to blame it all on gluten and allergies but my experience is that coping skills for already excisting problems are virtually not there when gluten is injested. Gastero intestinal issues came out 10 years ago, first as weight loss and d, then the opposite. I am also short at 5 feet and the rest of my family is tall. So many years of doctor hopping marriage issues and antideprssants later(which never worked) I found a doctor that listened. She took my history height and did blood work and diagnosed me celiac. Mainly on how much the diet improved me. My gastero appointment is not for another 6 months so she advised me to go gluten free anyways and forget about the biopsy, Im going anyways cause my grandma who was the only other short stature in my family died of lymphoma(interestingly enough she got sick on wheat)I can definatly tell the difference!!! It was so bad that I started to get seizure symptoms from vitamin deficiencies. I had already been low gluten and thought It was wheat that triggered the symptoms,now realize that it was gluten and casien. Has any of your family been understanding? Mine arent, I have to stay clear of most. I see that some of you are christians have you made your church your home? I have three sons,one of which is autistic and the other two my doctor is shure they have celiac, I will always try to support my kids, feeling alone is the wost part of this illness. My hubby tries his best!!! This forum is probably an excellent way to get support everyone is going through some of the same things!!EXCELLANT!!!

#27 Sillyyakdidi

Sillyyakdidi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

someone on this thread mentioned "cheating", i am sorry, if you are really a celiac, you should NOT be cheating, it is so dangerous for you, it is like you aren't gluten-free at all, it is a big step back, and you should take care of yourself and really never "cheat" on purpose! Its like intentionally hurting your body. I'm sure someone on here could find a yummy gluten-free wing recipe for you. I didn't mean that to sound mean, I'm just worreid for you and hope your ealize how dangerous that is!!!That being said, i'm the most anxious person about gluten alive, its very hard being in college and dating and not being able to eat anything, like i'm sure you can all relate to.
Gluten Free since April '04

#28 nmw

nmw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

Anxiety, brain fog and depression are my first indicators that I have been glutened. I was days away from going on anti-depressants when I figured out my gluten intolerance.

St. John's Wort needs time - usually a couple of weeks - to build up in the bloodstream before it is really effective.
I've used it since before I was diagnosed, and still use it now (a lesser dose).
I also use a custom herb tincture, from a local herbalist, that includes kava kava and motherwort. I am able to use it daily as needed, and in case of an anxiety attack. I haven't had any anxiety (except for the rare glutening) since I went gluten-free.

Always check w/ your doc before adding any herbs or supplements, including SJW. And if you use SJW, check for contraindications for use with any mood/pain drugs.

I agree that a significant number of people with anxiety (and possibly depression) probably have gluten issues. Not to mention those w/ IBS, Crohn's/Colitis, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia...

Oh yeah...and don't cheat, people. We are living gluten-free for a lot of good reasons. :)

#29 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

I ate Turkey at Thanksgiving and even though it said it was gluten free and didn't look like it had any soy I got sick from it. I tried twice to make sure. ;) I meant to call the company, but never got to it.

I am gonna try fresh Turkey next year instead. Thanks for the tip.

I have problems with anxiety when glutened/eating anything I am intolerant to. I am currently trying out egg..seems my stomach is okay with it, but I have felt "off" since I started with it. Not sure yet what I'll do.

I have had problems with anxiety and depression in my past. As I got sicker it got worse. I am sure it is related to the food.
I felt the menatl part of this has sometimes made me into some one else. I almost felt like I lost myself in all the symptoms and the fear. I felt I just feared everything in the end. I still have a long way to go to get back to my old self I feel.
One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)
Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

#30 naturalmomma

naturalmomma

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

I understand the losing yourself. I have been low carb for a long time to alleviate the symptoms, didnt realize it was the gluten though low carb is low gluten. My anxiety and depression gets really bad with gluten, but at the time I thought it was candida and atributed it to too many carbs. Now that I realize the problem, wow much better. Of course when you are pregnant you deffinatly cant go low carb! So svere symptoms come back. I thought it was the pregnancy, then breast feeding you cant go low carb and I breastfed for a year, not prgnant anymore hmmm. My new doctor figured it out right away. Attempted to do a gluten challenge, wow big disaster. Never again, the depression and anxiety got so bad !!! Then I took away all gluten wow!! By that time I was so scared of food ! THe other symptoms fatigue, muscle pain tummy probs in my opinion pale in comparison to the emotional. Isnt it amazing that taking away a couple of things in your diet can make such a difference?Life is good( I also reccomend doing an food intolerance test, its cost about 400 dollars fro 100 foods, Im in canada so I sent it out.Ususally your insurance company will reimburse. I known the pain for so long and figured out the reliefe. I will never injest gluten on purpose again!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: