This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ahhhhh! Help!

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

Stop the world i want to get off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to locate a COMPLETE, unedited :P list of legumes and I came across canola on one of the lists.

SAY IT ISN"T SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea and if it is a legume and I've cut out all legumes because they upset my tummy and make my joints hurt, it might explain a LOT.

Does anyone know? Does anyone (Patti- I'm willing to bet money on YOU!) have a complete list of legumes?

Thanks to anyone who helps me out. I wanna scream! Canola is in everything................

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

I dont have one offhand...but yes, canola is a legume :(...ok, well i thought it was...i know it is high in lectins. let me work on this.

I'll see what I can find.

xoxo

Open Original Shared Link this site about lectins specifically mentions canola, too.

sorry, bev.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I believe canola is an oilseed, not a legume.

This is from Wikipedia: Canola was developed through conventional plant breeding from rapeseed[citation needed], an oilseed plant with roots in ancient civilization. The word "rape" in rapeseed comes from the Latin word "rapum," meaning turnip. [b]Turnip, rutabaga, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mustard and many other vegetables are related to the two canola species commonly grown: Brassica napus and Brassica rapa. The negative associations with the word "rape" in North America resulted in the more marketing-friendly name "Canola".

I just found that from Wiki, I bolded and redded some info - I don't know if turnips etc are legumes, but that may help out a bit.

jerseyangel Proficient

My gosh Bev--I don't know!!! But I did stop using it recently because I keep reading conflicting things. I use only olive oil, and Spectrum shortening. I keep a small bottle of expeller pressed Sunflower oil in the fridge so I have an unflavored oil when I need it.

Back to legumes--could this be? I tried to find a complete list of legumes last month when I suspected cashews. I was having some pretty unpleasant symptoms, and the only new thing was a nut mix of almonds, pecans (both of which are fine for me) and cashews. Well, it turns out they are a legume and my symptoms went right away when I stopped eating them.

If you come across a good, complete list--let me know!

On second thought, maybe Ursula has one....

happygirl Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

ok, so apparently it is not a legume...but is often listed as one.

but, it looks like it is often grown/rotated in fields with other legumes...hmmm....

bev, do you react to canola?

Jestgar Rising Star

From Wiki

Canola was developed through conventional plant breeding from rapeseed[citation needed], an oilseed plant with roots in ancient civilization. The word "rape" in rapeseed comes from the Latin word "rapum," meaning turnip. Turnip, rutabaga, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mustard and many other vegetables are related to the two canola species commonly grown: Brassica napus and Brassica rapa.

Mtndog Collaborator

OK- that's good! I just emailed the Ref Librarian at my university to see if they can help me find a COMPLETE list. I'll post it when I get it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OH NO --- IS RIGHT. :(:(

I LOVE HELMANS MAYO..SO SWITCHED TO HELMAN'S CANOLA MAYO.

I'VE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT IT AS IT SOMETIMES (and this is the KICKER isn't it...one time agrees, one time does not).... :o:unsure::o:unsure::ph34r:

Guess i'll have to eat old dried out tuna... :ph34r:

MAYBE I'LL JOIN MOMMA GOOSE AND GO OUT AND EAT WORMS :lol:

jUDY

Mtndog Collaborator
MAYBE I'LL JOIN MOMMA GOOSE AND GO OUT AND EAT WORMS :lol:

jUDY

Oh my god- SERIOUSLY! I would eat worms. I've been thinking about it lately. Actually grasshoppers- crunchier :P

Ursa Major Collaborator

Sorry, don't have a list, either. Canola is out for me anyway, because of high salicylate content. The only oil I can use is cold pressed sunflower oil.

Mtndog Collaborator

OK- Well, let's start our own list of KNOWN legumes:

soy

soy products and tofu

peanuts

chickpeas/hummus

peas

beans (pinto, kidney, etc)

Also heard back from reference:

According to the Encyclopedia Brittanica, there are over 18,000 plants

in the legume family so a complete list is going to be very difficult

(and probably not very helpful). I did find a list of "common

legumes":

Legume:

Acacia;

Acacia Gum;

Alfalfa;

Arabic;

Black-eyed pea;

Carob;

Carob (St. John's Bread);

Cassia;

Chick Pea;

Field Pea;

Green Bean;

Green Pea;

Guar gum;

Jack bean;

Karaya Gum;

Kidney bean;

Lentil;

Licorice;

Lima bean;

Locust Bean Gum;

Mungo Bean;

Navy Bean;

Peanut;

Peanut oil;

Pinto Bean;

Soybean; Soybean oil/flour/lecithin;

Split Pea;

String Bean;

Talca Gum;

Tamarind;

Tonka bean;

Tragancanth Gum;

Urd

Flour.

There is another more complete list from the USDA at:

<Open Original Shared Link)/

codesearch.aspx>

Type in the food code "41" and click on search and you'll get 7 pages

of legumes. I don't know whether this includes all of the common nuts

but it's worth taking a look.

Jestgar Rising Star
The only oil I can use is cold pressed sunflower oil.

Ursula, you sound like us snotty Seattlites with our "double tall, soy, half-caf, extra hot, lattes"! :lol:

angst2amity Rookie

I had a gluten-type reaction to Canola Oil, this is what I found earlier this week:

"...all known grain species that cause problems for celiac patients are members of the grass family. In plant taxonomy, the grass family belongs to the Plant Kingdom Subclass known as monocotyledonous plants (monocots). The only other grouping at the Subclass level is that of dicotyledonous plants (dicots). Some other species about which celiac patients have questions actually are dicots, which places them in very distant relationship to the grass family. Such species include buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, and rape. The seed of the last plant listed, rape, is not eaten, but an oil is pressed from the seeds that is becoming commonly used in cooking. This oil is being marketed as canola oil."

Open Original Shared Link

lovegrov Collaborator

The article quoted about canola and other grains is about a decade old and since then it has been found that ALL of the grains named are safe for people with celiac. Buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, and rape were all examined and declared completely safe for celiacs about five years ago. REPEAT, this information is OLD and no longer applies. All celiac associations and the dietetic associations in the U.S. and Canada consider these grains safe.

richard

angst2amity Rookie
The article quoted about canola and other grains is about a decade old and since then it has been found that ALL of the grains named are safe for people with celiac. Buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, and rape were all examined and declared completely safe for celiacs about five years ago. REPEAT, this information is OLD and no longer applies. All celiac associations and the dietetic associations in the U.S. and Canada consider these grains safe.

So Canola oil is not made from rapeseed? Did that change? The article said Buckwheat, Amaranth, Quinoa, and Rape are VERY DISTANT from gluten - that didn't change either.

I just said I had a gluten-type reaction to it. But I don't know what is going on in my body. The article wasn't confirming a reaction - I just put it in to show that it wasn't a lentil but a seed.

Mtndog Collaborator

Richard is right- those grains are safe for celiacs but some people don't do well with them due to other intolerances. I have a gluten-like reaction to soy. It's not gluten, but it makes me feel bad.

I think Richard just wanted to make sure that people knew that those grains, in general, are safe for celiacs but sometimes people have reactions to other things as well. I know Judy doesn't feel good when she eats canola oil.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

angst2amity Rookie

I learned somewhere that canola the name comes from "Canadian" and "Oil" put together.

My question is, is it a seed problem? Someone said they had a RX with canola but no RX with sunflower oil. So maybe not - but I guess wheat is a seed, but so is corn, is rice? I seem to have problems with sunflower seeds, I think. I tried to do an elimination diet but I reacted to the blandest of elimination food - but maybe it was from the day before or the day before that..

Oh never mind, the human body is so weird. I mean beautiful and complex. :)

Jestgar Rising Star
I think Richard just wanted to make sure that people knew that those grains, in general, are safe for celiacs but

Richard, I know what your thinking..(that woman should live in a 'bubble' ) :lol:

Can we start calling you "Bubbles"?

loraleena Contributor

canola oil and other oils become toxic when heated. Olive oil is good in dressings, but only coconut oil is good for cooking. You can get organic virgin coconut oil at natural food stores. It is also a powerful antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal.

Mtndog Collaborator
canola oil and other oils become toxic when heated. Olive oil is good in dressings, but only coconut oil is good for cooking. You can get organic virgin coconut oil at natural food stores. It is also a powerful antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal.

Loraleena- what do you mean they become toxic? I mean, obvioulsy I know what toxic means but don't understand in this particular case. :huh:

angst2amity Rookie

Ooo, I did have a reaction after trying to fry chicken coated in cornmeal in it. Don't usually seem to have a problem with canola in this healthy margarine stuff I use - oops fried potatoes in that once. Got so excited about adding more fat to my diet, got a little fry happy. I don't know anything about toxicity - but it does seem to bother me when heated to high temperatures.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Can we start calling you "Bubbles"?

SURE YOU CAN, IF CALLIN ME FOR DINNER, JUST DON'T PUT ANY CANOLA MAYO ON IT. :lol:

jUDY :lol:

canola oil and other oils become toxic when heated.

PLEASE EXPLAIN..I DON'T FRY MUCH BUT SURE DON'T GET THIS ONE.

JUDY :o

AndreaB Contributor

I don't know about canola oil and the legume family/grass family. I do know that I can't tolerate much in the way of alternative grains either. I can eat small quantities though.

As far as oil becoming toxic.....when it is heated it changes the molecular structure, making it like an excitotoxin/free radical....therefore being bad for your body. Many oils don't have the high heat point which is reached quickly in stovetop cooking anyway.

lovegrov Collaborator

I didn't mean to make anybody mad, but the excerpt quoted in the post made it sound like all these grains might be a threat to people with celiac. I wanted to make it clear that since this article was written it has been determined that ALL of these grains are perfectly safe. People with celiac eat all of them.

richard

Archived