27 replies to this topic

#16 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:55 AM

Richard is right- those grains are safe for celiacs but some people don't do well with them due to other intolerances. I have a gluten-like reaction to soy. It's not gluten, but it makes me feel bad.

I think Richard just wanted to make sure that people knew that those grains, in general, are safe for celiacs but sometimes people have reactions to other things as well. I know Judy doesn't feel good when she eats canola oil.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

[/quote]I think Richard just wanted to make sure that people knew that those grains, in general, are safe for celiacs but sometimes people have reactions to other things as well. I know Judy doesn't feel good when she eats canola oil.
[/quote]

Thnanks Bev. Yep first Hellmans' then after about 2 months, the hellman's canola doens't agree with me.
Richard, I know what your thinking..(that woman should live in a 'bubble' ) :lol:
Still think that you and Jersey did 'hit the nail on the head with me' and I hadn't seen it that way.
I also feel what patti was so true for me, I need to rotate soaps, deord, shampos, ect maybe once a month so I don't build up 'intolerances to things' as that seems to me to be what's happening.
Guess it goes back to the first thing i learned 17 months ago . LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY. Sometimes it seems like it talks a 'forgein language tho, :blink: :o :( :) :lol:
judy (still jetting along trying to sort it out) :)
Judy in Southern CA

#18 angst2amity

angst2amity

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

I learned somewhere that canola the name comes from "Canadian" and "Oil" put together.

My question is, is it a seed problem? Someone said they had a RX with canola but no RX with sunflower oil. So maybe not - but I guess wheat is a seed, but so is corn, is rice? I seem to have problems with sunflower seeds, I think. I tried to do an elimination diet but I reacted to the blandest of elimination food - but maybe it was from the day before or the day before that..

Oh never mind, the human body is so weird. I mean beautiful and complex. :)
Chronic Ear Infections
Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections
Chronic Sinus Infections
Recent Sinus Surgeries
New Migraines
New Occipital Neuralgia
New SUPER HIGH ANA
New Vitamin D deficiency
New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?
Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache
Lyme Negative
12/06 Tested (-) for Celiac after 2 - 3 months Gluten Free

#19 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

I think Richard just wanted to make sure that people knew that those grains, in general, are safe for celiacs but
Richard, I know what your thinking..(that woman should live in a 'bubble' ) :lol:

Can we start calling you "Bubbles"?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#20 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

canola oil and other oils become toxic when heated. Olive oil is good in dressings, but only coconut oil is good for cooking. You can get organic virgin coconut oil at natural food stores. It is also a powerful antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal.

#21 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

canola oil and other oils become toxic when heated. Olive oil is good in dressings, but only coconut oil is good for cooking. You can get organic virgin coconut oil at natural food stores. It is also a powerful antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal.

Loraleena- what do you mean they become toxic? I mean, obvioulsy I know what toxic means but don't understand in this particular case. :huh:
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#22 angst2amity

angst2amity

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

Ooo, I did have a reaction after trying to fry chicken coated in cornmeal in it. Don't usually seem to have a problem with canola in this healthy margarine stuff I use - oops fried potatoes in that once. Got so excited about adding more fat to my diet, got a little fry happy. I don't know anything about toxicity - but it does seem to bother me when heated to high temperatures.
Chronic Ear Infections
Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections
Chronic Sinus Infections
Recent Sinus Surgeries
New Migraines
New Occipital Neuralgia
New SUPER HIGH ANA
New Vitamin D deficiency
New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?
Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache
Lyme Negative
12/06 Tested (-) for Celiac after 2 - 3 months Gluten Free

#23 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

Can we start calling you "Bubbles"?

SURE YOU CAN, IF CALLIN ME FOR DINNER, JUST DON'T PUT ANY CANOLA MAYO ON IT. :lol:
jUDY :lol:

canola oil and other oils become toxic when heated.

PLEASE EXPLAIN..I DON'T FRY MUCH BUT SURE DON'T GET THIS ONE.
JUDY :o
Judy in Southern CA

#24 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:22 PM

I don't know about canola oil and the legume family/grass family. I do know that I can't tolerate much in the way of alternative grains either. I can eat small quantities though.

As far as oil becoming toxic.....when it is heated it changes the molecular structure, making it like an excitotoxin/free radical....therefore being bad for your body. Many oils don't have the high heat point which is reached quickly in stovetop cooking anyway.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#25 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

I didn't mean to make anybody mad, but the excerpt quoted in the post made it sound like all these grains might be a threat to people with celiac. I wanted to make it clear that since this article was written it has been determined that ALL of these grains are perfectly safe. People with celiac eat all of them.

richard

#26 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

:) I don't think anyone is mad at you Richard.
Glad to know the current info.
thanks for your help.
judy :)
Judy in Southern CA

#27 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

I didn't mean to make anybody mad, but the excerpt quoted in the post made it sound like all these grains might be a threat to people with celiac. I wanted to make it clear that since this article was written it has been determined that ALL of these grains are perfectly safe. People with celiac eat all of them.

richard

Actually I think that the very next paragraph of that same article pointed out the same thing....

Thanks for being willing to take the time to clear things up.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#28 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:44 AM

Since someone explained the toxic better than me I'll leave it at that. Also all oils become rancid very quickly except coconut oil . It can remain unrefridgerated for over a year. Get on line and read about oils especially coconut. I have only been hearing bad things about canola lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: