Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Fractures And Celiac

4 posts in this topic

My 18-year old daughter, a distance runner, was diagnosed with celiac. Before the diagnosis, she suffered a stress fracture in her hip (femoral neck). 6 months later, an MRI has shown another sstress fracture in her hip, but the other side. Can these fractures be related to the celiac?

Ads by Google:

The dr. should do a bone density test on her because with the years of malabsorption that celiacs have to deal with and wreak havoc on our bones.....

We have a much higher risk of osteoporosis due to the malabsorption of calcium...

I hope she is feeling better soon.....

Karen

I don't know.. but, I have multiple (at least 6) fractured costal ribs. I was squeezed when playing basketball when I was younger. I always thought that it was pretty strange how easily the broke. But, I've never broken a bone!

Weighing in with Canadian Karen, Celiac is linked to osteoporosis (sp). I think definitely could make bones more fragile particularly in undiagnosed, untreated celiacs. Has she been gluten-free long? After her body heals and is able to absorb nutrients more efficiently, her bones should get stronger.