#1 kolka

kolka

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

This is my idea:

Rebecca Reilly has a recipe for Chocolate Genoise cake - a chocolate cake baked in a jelly roll pan.

I'd like to bake that, fill it with buttercream icing (just Crisco, powdered sugar, a little water and some vanilla). Then I'd like to roll it up jelly roll fashion. After that, I want to slice 1" circles from it. Then I want to dip each 'disc' into a chocolate for the chocolate coating.

I'd consider this a cross between a ring ding and a yodel.

question: What do I do for the chocolate coating?

I bought some Silk brand soy creamer. It's not bad, better than soy milk, anyway. I was thinking to make a ganach with it (we are dairy free). Well, wouldn't ya know, there is a recipe for chocolate truffles right on the carton! I made the recipe, it was good. But the chocolate truffles were a tad too soft, even while refrigerated. So, what would you do for chocolate coating that'd be firm enough (for ring dings)? Could I just melt the chocolate chips and just not add the cream? Or would that be TOO firm? Any ideas?
DD: gluten-free/casein-free, soy lite, corn lite
Me: Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dragonmom

dragonmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

I think that just the chocolate chips would work- I buy the gluten-free pretzels and dip them in melted chocolate chips and they are good. Good luck with the attempt! :)
Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

You could try adding a few drops of oil, or crisco. Don't use any "milks", they have too much water in them.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

Adding a little bit of coconut oil would work well too. It will harden with the chocolate and give it a nice texture.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 TriticusToxicum

TriticusToxicum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

This is my idea:

Rebecca Reilly has a recipe for Chocolate Genoise cake - a chocolate cake baked in a jelly roll pan.

I'd like to bake that, fill it with buttercream icing (just Crisco, powdered sugar, a little water and some vanilla). Then I'd like to roll it up jelly roll fashion. After that, I want to slice 1" circles from it. Then I want to dip each 'disc' into a chocolate for the chocolate coating.

I'd consider this a cross between a ring ding and a yodel.

question: What do I do for the chocolate coating?

I bought some Silk brand soy creamer. It's not bad, better than soy milk, anyway. I was thinking to make a ganach with it (we are dairy free). Well, wouldn't ya know, there is a recipe for chocolate truffles right on the carton! I made the recipe, it was good. But the chocolate truffles were a tad too soft, even while refrigerated. So, what would you do for chocolate coating that'd be firm enough (for ring dings)? Could I just melt the chocolate chips and just not add the cream? Or would that be TOO firm? Any ideas?

I make this killer frosting type stuff that is almost the consistency of the chocolate on yodels.

All you need is a box (8 squares) of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate and a tub of Cool Whip. I don't think CW is dairy free, but I know there are dairy free brands out there.

You simply melt the cool whip and chocolate in the microwave and stir it until smooth. You could pour it over your treats or dunk them (the stuff is fairly liquidous (my new word) when warm and sets semi-firm when at room temp - hard if you put it in fridge).

Now i want a yodel! :P
Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05
Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

#6 kolka

kolka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

I make this killer frosting type stuff that is almost the consistency of the chocolate on yodels.

All you need is a box (8 squares) of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate and a tub of Cool Whip. I don't think CW is dairy free, but I know there are dairy free brands out there.

You simply melt the cool whip and chocolate in the microwave and stir it until smooth. You could pour it over your treats or dunk them (the stuff is fairly liquidous (my new word) when warm and sets semi-firm when at room temp - hard if you put it in fridge).

Now i want a yodel! :P

Baker's Chocolate has 'milk solids' in it, so my dd can't have that. Cool Whip has caseinate in it, so that's out, too. What brand of whipped topping is actually dairy free? Where do you get it? Each brand at my local grocery stores have caseinate. I've heard of something called Hip Whip - a soy whipped cream. Where on earth do you get it?

So, the topping you make is just like the coating of a ring ding? Not mushy, not too hard?

#7 new to LI

new to LI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

maybe im just lazy, but why go through all that work when cinderella sweets makes gluten-free ring dings and yodles.

#8 kolka

kolka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

maybe im just lazy, but why go through all that work when cinderella sweets makes gluten-free ring dings and yodles.

Where do you get cinderella sweets? Are they expensive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: