#31 coin-op

coin-op

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:42 AM

to answer the first post:

your diet is probably too complex, you have no idea what is causing the problems. Simplify it a bit so you can more closely track your cause and effects. Start cutting out things. I suggest keeping to simple foods like fruits and vegetables and whole grains - for you maybe just rice and corn. Start reading ingredients on EVERYTHING. You will be surprised at what you cannot eat.

-cass

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Judithg

Judithg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:20 PM

I am really concerned about the bacterial overgrowth too. I'm taking probiotics and it helps me somehow. Interestingly, I had to go on antibiotics last year, and my symptoms almost disappeared during that course. I wonder: has anyone of you had the same experience with antibiotics?

I just read this post about bacterial overgrowth and antibiotics. I had the same experience 3 times in the past year where my symptoms lessened or disappeared while on antibiotics (of course, I was not eating gluten before, during, or after the antibiotics--bad GI symptoms had developed despite my best efforts at avoiding gluten over the past few years). My GI doc has not been able to explain it. My alternative doc believes I have had an ongoing problem with bacterial overgrowth which has contributed to my various symptoms.

#33 strack2004

strack2004

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

I usually have experienced an improvement in my symptoms while taking antibiotics off and on over the years. It only lasts a couple of days after the course is finished, though. Probiotics over a long period of time may be the answer. I just discovered a new book at our library called "Sugars That Heal" by Emil I. Mondoa, M.D. and Mindy Kitei. It lists 8 sources of essential saccharides. Many of them are found in brns, aloe vera, shiitake and maitake mushrooms, . Much interesting information relating these substances to various disease conditions. Strack2004, Ruth S.

#34 Mark

Mark

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:45 PM

Yes, my improvement lasted about a week after my course was finished, and then it got even worse than before. It seems the bad bacteria can repopulate the place much faster than the good ones.
I'm just trying a few different probiotics to see which one works better for me. Up to now, they seem to calm down my irritated intestines.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

MARK
gluten-free/CF since September 03

#35 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:12 AM

Mark, Which probiotics do you use? CurrentlyI am using something called Procratin which contains protease, amylase, lipsase and one other enzyme. I do this at the library and don't have the bottle handy. Ruth S.

#36 CoolCat1

CoolCat1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:24 PM

Canadian Karen, I had the gastroscopy, colonoscopy etc a couple of months ago and got diagnosed with celiac disease. The demoral they give you made me so relaxed. It's a fantastic drug. Don't worry. I love Demoral.

#37 kschmitz

kschmitz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:24 PM

Hi,

I am also new to this forum and appreciate all your experienced advice. RE: eating out - a dietician I contacted suggested taking aluminum foil to resturants and asking the chef to grill meat/fish on the foil. Has anyone tried this?

ks

#38 Mark

Mark

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:06 PM

Ruth, the Procratin doesn't probably contain any living cells, but definitely can help you with insufficient pancreas. I've tried 5 Strain Dophilus from Swiss Herbal Remedies recently, and now I'm on Lepicol - funny stuff, looks more like a hay, but there is a lot of fiber in it which helps you to get some regularity into your digestion. I've just started, but it seems to work well.

MARK
gluten-free/CF since September 03

#39 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

Hi Cool Cat!

Thanks for the reassurance that Demoral will do the job, I am not looking forward to the colonoscopy in regards to the "discomfort", but I am anxious to get it over with to get some results...... I have it on September 28th......

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#40 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:14 AM

Mark, Where do you get the 5 strain dophilus or lepicol? Will check my health food store to see if the lady there carries either one. Thanks, Ruth

#41 cojaro

cojaro

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:32 AM

check everything

i have my own toaster and pans and butter plate

and i make sure none of those come in contact with something that isnt gluten-free-free

its a bit troublesome, but its better than feeling sick all the time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: