This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A List Anywhere?

Tiki

Tiki Newbie

first of all, im new to the board (you may see i posted a few times tonight in other topics). so if this is a repeat just let me know.

i was wondering if there is a list posted anywhere of safe restaurants. i see post for a number of individual restaurants but haven't found a list of all restaurants that are safe. if it helps i live in central NJ.

im fairly new to the gluten-free thing, its been three years but i don't know anyone else with it so im trying to learn on my own how to be safe while eating out. ive found some restaurants are helpful but was really upset tonight when i learned a restaurant i have been going to (applebees) has lied to me several times and ive been eating gluten filled food. i try not to cheat and eat gluten when i go out but its so hard to avoid i feel like its impossible.

thanks for any advice and helpful information.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Hi Tiki

I am also in central Jersey. No Applebees is not celiac friendly. I dont trust TGI Fridays either. I have eaten there in the past though.. I only get the Cobb Salad , with no grilled chicken.

Carrabbas is celiac friendly. As is the Outback, PF Changs, (depending where you are) Bonefish Grill (one is going in right near me, I cant wait!!)

There are others I have seen. It depends where you are. Red Robin I have heard is good too. Others I am sure will chime in on this.

There are places to go. Just need to be extra careful, even at the above listed places. Good Luck!

and Welcome to the board!!!

new to LI Newbie

in south jersey there is a store epacure ask for chris he may be able to help you.

if you cant find the number let me know and i will find it at the office tomarrow.

lpellegr Collaborator

There are not many of the chains with gluten-free menus in central NJ (I'm talking about Mercer county and thereabouts). There is a Charlie Brown's on Rt. 1 near Princeton, and a PF Chang's just opened up at the Marketfair Mall (and seems to be perpetually crowded). Up north on Rt 1, maybe Plainfield or Edison, is an Outback. There is a Red Robin in Langhorne near Sesame Place. I pretty much don't eat out unless I have to and I don't expect to find much around here. When I do eat out, it's usually sushi (with my own La Choy soy sauce) or steamed vegetables with white sauce at a Chinese/Japanese place, or the safe items at Chick Fil-A or Wendy's. If we go to a diner I don't even try to get something, I just pack a lunch (small can of tuna, fruit, Nut Thins, cheese) and explain to the waitress that I have food allergies, because everything is breaded or potentially cross-contaminated. If we go to a better place or larger chain I have to explain it all and usually end up with a plain hamburger or chicken or fish with no seasoning, and plain vegetables. I guess my point is, if you want to eat out in central Jersey you'll have to learn what's safe in the fast food chains and (for everything else) get used to showing the wait staff your Triumph Dining card or homemade card, explaining patiently, and keeping your fingers crossed. Now if you want to buy gluten-free stuff to make and eat at home, I know a lot more about what stores carry what than I do about restaurants! If you want to buy gluten-free stuff, at least we have Whole Foods on Route 1 with their frozen gluten-free baked goods, and DeLiteful Foods on Quakerbridge road with a huge selection of gluten-free stuff.

Here's a website of restaurants with gluten-free menus - last I looked it only listed 2 in NJ.

Open Original Shared Link

amybeth Enthusiast

PF Changs will take reservations if you call in advance, and they also do take out! Yum! Chinese in my pajamas!! Something I've been missing!!!

de caps Contributor

Check out glutenfreerestaurants.com

Epicure is on Warren Ave in Spring Lake, NJ. It is approx 10 minutes from me. Chris there is great. He will let you taste sample things before you buy them.. to keep you from the ol buying and chucking routine!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tiki Newbie

i found that store in spring lake not that long ago and the prodcuts are really great. i eat out a lot and have had success at some restaurants over others. i go to a small local mexican restaurant and get corn tortillas and have never gotten sick. the only gluten on their menu is flour tortillas or fried ice cream so cross contamination risk is very low.

there is also a restaurant called ciao baby in brick NJ. they are very understanding, in fact the wait staff knows what you are talking about and i always get great food there that is gluten free, including mashed potatos.

most restaurants are not safe though and it is getting really tricky.

Tiki

I am in Brick also. Where, oh where, is that mexican restaurant??? I have been dying to go out for mexican and chinese food.. not PF Changs kind.. the kind from a dingy little chinese place only for take out. Pf Changs is good.. but it isnt chinese takeout

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor
Epicure is on Warren Ave in Spring Lake, NJ. It is approx 10 minutes from me. Chris there is great. He will let you taste sample things before you buy them.. to keep you from the ol buying and chucking routine!

I went there early this year when I first went gluten-free... wasn't that impressed with the selection but I don't know what is there now.. then again, I was avoiding a couple allergens like dairy and soy so my choices were somewhat limited... I know most of the premade foods in the freezer had something in them I couldn't have..

I'm also interested in learning the name of the mexican restaurant... I work down in lakewood and haven't eaten out for lunch at work since my first few weeks gluten-free when I was living off the wendy's gluten-free menu.. not that I could eat dairy now anyway but at this point, a taco, chimichanga, or enchilada without cheese would be good enough for me... I also gotta try and get there soon before I stop challenging corn..

debmidge Rising Star

Italian restaurant in Clark, NJ has a section of menu that's gluten-free

Aliperti's

1189 Raritan Road

Clark NJ

732-381-2300

www.alipertisrestaurant.com

(they are mentioned in the current edition of Living Without Magazine)

They also showed:

Janice-A Bristro, 23 Sheridan Ave., Ho-ho-Kus NJ

201-445-2666

Foods by George

3 King St. Mahwah, NJ

201-612-9700

wwwfoodsbygeorge.com

and

Park & Orchard

240 Hackensack St., East Rutherford, NJ

201-939-9292

www.parkandorchard.com

• 3 weeks later...
Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

bumping the thread to find out the name of the mexican restaurant..

leg1999 Newbie

Going out to a restaurant used to be a treat. Now its something I avoid at all cost. Can't stop to grab a bite to eat while out, can't pick up something to bring home in lieu of cooking, can't go out to eat with a friend, and forget making plans for a vacation -- I'd starve to death before I could get home! Sure the food from Carrabbas and Outback are very good but I can't afford them. Still other chains aren't willing to accomodate. I wrote to Applebees and their response basically said tuff luck. We aren't willing to change.

I miss going to Country Crock, Denny's and all the other resonably priced places. Eating out was an enjoyment because I didn't have to cook and -- more importantly -- I didn't have to do the clean-up or dishes. Now its an embarrassment. I'm supposed to ask for foods to be specially prepared in/on "dedicated" equipment, requesting special food preparation like no basting sauce and customizing everything down to the salad!?! I used to hate eating out with picky people who wouldn't just order off the menu. Now I've become one of the people I hate.

Plain hamburg, naked chicken, no sauce or gravy, no bread/croutons -- oh please! That's not enjoying a meal, that's downright depressing!!!!

• 3 months later...
Tiki Newbie

sorry everyone, i haven't been on the board in a while, ive been very busy. the restaurant i go to is called fins. they have two locations, one in brick and one in bradley beach.

i haven't asked specifically if their food is gluten free, but did ask about corn vs flour tortillas. i know i should ask about everything, but the food is made fresh and i stick with foods i know are usually gluten free. i have had no reactions to their food, but i have only had a few items off of the menu. i also don't have any other food allergies and tend to not be as sensative as some others, although i do react to minor amounts (like soy sauce used in a sauce that has gluten in it). the owner/managers are very friendly so i think they would be fine with any questions that you guys may ask. the first time i went there and when ordering i asked about the food containing flour and they answered my questions without any problems. maybe they might come up with a gluten-free menu if we ask enough questions? good luck and happy eating.

lcbannon Apprentice

Here is a site I just found-- I am new to all this too. It lists National food chain websites and most have allergy or ingredient info....

Open Original Shared Link

kevsmom Contributor

Hi! Welcome to the board.

I have an aunt and uncle in Mercer County that we visit every year. Last year my uncle took me to a Farmer's Market that had a store that sold exclusively gluten free food. The owner's wife is gluten free, and he opened it for her. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it. We also went to Wegeman's to shop. Their gluten free food is marked with a orange circle with a g in the middle. They have a section in the store called Natures Marketplace that has a whole aisle of gluten free food. There is also a health food store off of Rte. 33 (I think) that has a lunch counter with gluten free food that you can eat there.

We also went to Charlie Brown's. I had a very nice gluten free meal and did not get sick :rolleyes:.

Good luck!

Cindy

• 2 years later...
Patti B Newbie

Some good gluten-free places to go to eat at the Jersey Shore/ Central Jersey (We've tested these all and not gotten sick):

Mileto-

Higgens Ave in Brielle. It's a Polish/Italian Deli. One of the owners has celiac. They make any of their sandwiches on homemade gluten-free bread. They also have homemade frozen gluten-free meals and bread and cookies and othert grocery items.

Carlo's Gourmet Pizza-

Rt 9 in Englishtown. gluten-free pizza, pasta, eggplant parm, garlic bread... Lots of choices. delicious food! Employees are very careful to prevent cross contamination and knowledgeable of a gluten-free diet.

Charlie Browns-

Rt 71 in Brielle, Hooper Ave in Toms River, Rt 70 in Lakewood (I'm sure there's more.. those are just the ones I know) Aside from the one in Brielle, neither of us have gotten sick and I'm not sure if our stomach aches were from cross contamination or just a stomach bug for the one in Brielle.

Olive Garden-

Hooper Ave Toms River, Rt 35 in Eatontown. gluten-free pasta was gross. Other gluten-free foods ok

PF Changs-

Rt 9 in Freehold, in the Tropicana Quarter in Atlantic City. Awesome food, pretty big gluten-free menu. Food is served on different plates than regular food. Make sure you ask for gluten-free soy sauce.

Bonefish Grill-

Rt 70 in Brick. Limited menu and pricey but what they do have is good.

Longhorn Steakhouse-

Rt 70 in Lakewood/Brick. Good food and haven't gotten sick, though we were worried about their scary menu (a print out from the website)

Places to stay away from:

Carrabba's- We checked and they make all their food on the same grill so risk of cross contamination is high.

Outback Steak House- Rt 70 Brick. My bf has been repeatedly glutened here.

Fat Cat Bake Shop- Brick. Despite selling "gluten free" baked goods, they are prepared with the same equipment, by the same people and the same utensils. We asked if they tried to prevent cross contamination and they seemed to have no idea they needed to.

• 8 months later...
Patti B Newbie

Some good gluten-free places to go to eat at the Jersey Shore/ Central Jersey (We've tested these all and not gotten sick):

Mileto-

Higgens Ave in Brielle. It's a Polish/Italian Deli. One of the owners has celiac. They make any of their sandwiches on homemade gluten-free bread. They also have homemade frozen gluten-free meals and bread and cookies and othert grocery items.

Carlo's Gourmet Pizza-

Rt 9 in Englishtown. gluten-free pizza, pasta, eggplant parm, garlic bread... Lots of choices. delicious food! Employees are very careful to prevent cross contamination and knowledgeable of a gluten-free diet.

Charlie Browns-

Rt 71 in Brielle, Hooper Ave in Toms River, Rt 70 in Lakewood (I'm sure there's more.. those are just the ones I know) Aside from the one in Brielle, neither of us have gotten sick and I'm not sure if our stomach aches were from cross contamination or just a stomach bug for the one in Brielle.

Olive Garden-

Hooper Ave Toms River, Rt 35 in Eatontown. gluten-free pasta was gross. Other gluten-free foods ok

PF Changs-

Rt 9 in Freehold, in the Tropicana Quarter in Atlantic City. Awesome food, pretty big gluten-free menu. Food is served on different plates than regular food. Make sure you ask for gluten-free soy sauce.

Bonefish Grill-

Rt 70 in Brick. Limited menu and pricey but what they do have is good.

Longhorn Steakhouse-

Rt 70 in Lakewood/Brick. Good food and haven't gotten sick, though we were worried about their scary menu (a print out from the website)

Places to stay away from:

Carrabba's- We checked and they make all their food on the same grill so risk of cross contamination is high.

Outback Steak House- Rt 70 Brick. My bf has been repeatedly glutened here.

Fat Cat Bake Shop- Brick. Despite selling "gluten free" baked goods, they are prepared with the same equipment, by the same people and the same utensils. We asked if they tried to prevent cross contamination and they seemed to have no idea they needed to.

Mileto has now moved to Arnold Ave in Point Pleasant

Via Roma, in the Stop and Shop Plaza on Rts 70 and 9 in Toms River has delicious Italian food.. and they even do vegan. Servers are knowledgeable about cross-contamination and the food is delicious! The prices are fair and their portions are huge!!

Patti B Newbie

... and the Stop and Shop in that plaza has a wide selection of gluten free foods... and the liquor store in that plaza carries 3 gluten free beers- Bards, New Grist, and Redbridge!

njbeachbum Explorer

Hi Patti!

Thanks for the info - I have lived in Lakewood near Ocean County Park for about 7 years or so. Your list is great... I did not know about Mileto in PPB, so I'll have to check that one out. I've eaten at Outback in Brick many times and I've usually felt fine afterwards. I usually just get the filet with a sweet potato and a plain salad with oil & vinegar, so I don't take many risks. But Carraba's has made me feel yucky most times that I've eaten there.

I'll have to try the Italian place in the Stop & Shop plaza - that supermarket is great and has an excellent selection. I always get my Aleia's gluten free stuffing mix there around thanksgiving! (And various other wonderful items)

Take it easy,

Joe

Patti B Newbie

Joe, you have to try Via Roma! And it's BYOB, so pick up some New Grist from the liquor store on your way over. You won't be disappointed!!

Hi Patti!

Thanks for the info - I have lived in Lakewood near Ocean County Park for about 7 years or so. Your list is great... I did not know about Mileto in PPB, so I'll have to check that one out. I've eaten at Outback in Brick many times and I've usually felt fine afterwards. I usually just get the filet with a sweet potato and a plain salad with oil & vinegar, so I don't take many risks. But Carraba's has made me feel yucky most times that I've eaten there.

I'll have to try the Italian place in the Stop & Shop plaza - that supermarket is great and has an excellent selection. I always get my Aleia's gluten free stuffing mix there around thanksgiving! (And various other wonderful items)

Take it easy,

Joe

Patti B Newbie

I keep on forgetting things... Panda House is on RT 9 N in Freehold before you reach the mall. They have gluten-free Chinese/Thai food and are careful about cross contamination.. They even make gluten-free egg rolls!

• 2 months later...
TooManyHats Rookie

I keep on forgetting things... Panda House is on RT 9 N in Freehold before you reach the mall. They have gluten-free Chinese/Thai food and are careful about cross contamination.. They even make gluten-free egg rolls!

I'm VERY new to all of this...going for my biopsy next Thursday. But let me tell you, this would explain so many digestion problems for so many years of my life.

Thank you for posting so many restaurants. I work in the Freehold area and we spend time in the Lavallette area, but I live in East Brunswick. Dusal's in Milltown makes a gluten-free pizza that is pretty good.

If you know of any other restaurants, please add them. Thank you!

Archived