5 replies to this topic

#1 traci

traci

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:13 AM

While reading through posts, I came across quite a few of you who are very sensitive to gluten in any form. You should be aware that many pet foods, most certainly most brands of DOG FOOD is full of it! Use caution when feeding your pets or giving treats.
Traci-Self Diagnosed after removing all gluten from my diet... Please note I do not advocate self diagnosis but a woman's gotta do what she's gotta do!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

Indeed, a lot of pet foods do contain gluten........wash your hands after handling pet food, even if you don't think you came into direct contact with it.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:51 AM

lol! definitely true, and easy to overlook. I guess that's one of the nice things about having a bird. His food does contain gluten, but it's dry pellets, so I don't have to give it to him that often. And all treats are human food that my husband and I eat! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:38 PM

Yes... speaking of gluten in pet food... I'm just glad that dogs and cats aren't celiac (that we know of)... I couldn't think of a single brand that would be safe. Thank you for mentioning it, as I would not have even considered being that a contamination source! We have a mini-zoo.. cat, dog & parrot!!

I'll admit that I did a double-take when I saw the topic.. thinking it was implying human ingestion! Hahahahaa!

Gretchen

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:13 AM

Yes... speaking of gluten in pet food... I'm just glad that dogs and cats aren't celiac (that we know of)... I couldn't think of a single brand that would be safe. Thank you for mentioning it, as I would not have even considered being that a contamination source! We have a mini-zoo.. cat, dog & parrot!!

I thought I remembered reading some article that mentioned a celiac dog......i guess that could've been a wheat allergy..........sorry, i don't remember the details too well.

I'll admit that I did a double-take when I saw the topic.. thinking it was implying human ingestion! Hahahahaa!

LOL

#6 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:11 AM

Actually wheat, corn and soy are common allergens for dogs. There is quite alot of people who feed a BARF (bones and raw food) to their dogs. All natural raw meat and veggies and rice. I have two boxers who have bad allergies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: