This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Dh Be Situational?

waywardsister

waywardsister Newbie

When I went away to University and lived in the dorm, I suffered from horrible rashes. They actually started a few months before I left as red itchy bumps on my inner forearms, and a few blisters on my hands/fingers. At school, it eventually ballooned up to blisters all over my hands and feet, and red bumps on my legs and arms (and a few in other places). I could tell when a blister was coming bc the area would feel firey and prickly, and the itch was insane. The blisters were full of clear fluid and I could see a small hole in my skin, right in the center of the blister, after I popped it. It was so bad, I couldn't sleep.

I was diagnosed with scabies and went through the treatment, which did nothing. Then it was "stress exema". No creams or pills helped. Eventually it lessened at went away about 6 months after returning home. It's over a decade later, and I still get occasional blisters (with the insane itch) on my hands, and itchy red bumps on my inner forearms. Lately, my scalp has gotten in on it - I developed itchy scabs on the back of my scalp that drove me crazy.

I was recently diagnosed g-intolerant (and casein) by Enterolab. What I wonder is if this rash is related? In Uni I was on the food plan and eating mainly vegetarian - lord knows what was in the food. Now that I'm gluten-free, I notice that I will get a rash on my inner arms if I get glutened (but not all the time) - I notice it more on my scalp. It's like there's little fires back there. I guess my question is can DH be inactive until a certain level of gluten consumption is reached; ie, a little wouldn't casue a skin reaction (but may cause a gastro reaction) but over a certain amount would? I'm concerned bc I got a blister on my palm yesterday, and am wondering why. I'm trying to be so careful, but am learning more nd more every day about what not to eat (just learned about ground spices, for example).

Thanks for reading this far!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

waywardsister Newbie

Anyone wanna help a newb here? Please?

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi,

I'm sorry that no one familiar with DH has responded. I'm sure someone will, though. :D

I don't have DH, but Celiacs do suffer from various skin rashes, eczema and other itchy conditions. It sounds like yours are connected to the amount of gluten you are consuming.

My itchiness, eczema and occasional red, itchy spots on my inner forearm went away after I had been gluten-free for a while. When I get glutened accidently, my itching comes back for a few days.

Hope this helps a little :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Anyone wanna help a newb here? Please?

Hi, Sorry I haven't been to this section in a while and maybe others haven't either. Have you made sure all your lotions, shampoos etc are gluten-free? You need to do so especially with the scalp itchiness. For some it leads to hair loss so it can be important. Many of us also see a change in presentation and severity at times. I tend to get more ezema now and my blisters are now also very small when they appear. The amount of reaction will also change over time for you as the gluten antibodies that are present leave the skin. This can take up to 2 years unfortunately. I found that for the first couple of years even the tiniest amount would cause an almost instant outbreak now after 4 years the blisters don't show up for about a week. It will get better but you have to be very diligent for a while.

waywardsister Newbie

That's how it seems to me, that it's related to the amount I'm ingesting. It's frustrating trying to figure all this stuff out.

Been trying to find other skin rashes that involve blisters - not much luck so far. The scalp thing is definitely new and only happens in relation to diet - shampoos etc have no effect.

SpikeMoore Apprentice

Hi There

I've had a very similar inner forearm thing over this summer intermittently. Also on the legs, back of neck and lower back but never in the classically described symmetric pattern. GP took a biopsy which was inconclusive. He threw out the possibilty of DH in conversation and I read a little and went gluten free as an experiement. Felt great, but had to eat gluten for the blood test (not back yet). No more itchy rashes though, so I'm happy.

I see that others have suggested checking your shampoos/soap products for gluten. Interestling, I noticed some of the inner forearm rashes onset right after baking (hubby likes cookies!).

Spike

Archived