Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Attack Sent Me To The Er By Ambulance Today!

• Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

#1 Electra

Electra

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

Well I ate Ritz Crackers again trying to get a reaction because I had my nerve test scheduled today and I NEVER got to have the test. I had to call the ambulance from the dr's office parking lot because I thought I was dying. The pain in the upper part of my stomach was so unreal that I could barely breath! I was transported by ambulance to the hospital.

Directly before the attack started I went to the bathroom and it was (as usual) extremely soft. Then the stomach pain begun and I still can feel like twitching and muscle movement down my vaginal cavity and my colan!!

Anyone else ever have "SEVERE" abdominal pain with Celiac?
~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995
Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06
Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07
DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07
Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

Yes. Personally passing a kidney stone is less painful than the pain I had from celiac. They thought I was having a heart attack once.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 sunshinen

sunshinen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

Well, not that severe. But last night I wanted to go to the ER. Not because I felt I was dying, but because the pain was so intense it just seems as if something serious has to be wrong. If it hadn't been for the location of the pain and lack of UTI symptoms, I would have thought it was another kidney infection. But I think I was glutened on Tuesday, so for me the GI pain takes a while to hit.
Gluten-Free since February 2006

#4 Electra

Electra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

the dr. I saw claimed he had never seen this kind of pain in the upper part of the stomach from Celiac. He suggested I also check out Porphyria!! I checked it out on the net extensively, but most of my symptoms don't quite fit with that. The "obvious" ones do, but none of the others. Plus my daughters rash is not brought on by sun it's brought on by food she eats that contain Gluten.

I have never felt that kind of pain in my entire life. I literally thought my insides had blown up inside me and that they were going to start spewing out at any moment. It was like I was being stabbed continuously OUCH!!I am shocked they didn't even do an ultrasound. They did some X-Rays, and told me all tests came back normal so since I was on prednisone they said the prednisone burned a hole in the lining of my stomach and gave me an ulcer!! Since the pain I feel is constant (but not usually with the stabbing pain) and I've never had a problem with Prednizone before I'm not buying it. I don't even have an acide reflux problem. I think I had a severe glutan reaction and I refuse to eat anything but fresh fruits and veggies until the morning of my Monday Test!! I'm hoping it will show up on short notice like that. I'm going to a New England Patriots game this Sunday and I can't risk an attack!!

My nerve damadge test had to be rescheduled UG!!
~~Angie~~

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

#5 Sinenox

Sinenox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

When I was in high school a few years ago I kept suddenly being beset by the worst abdominal pains imaginable. I would have intense hot and cold flashes (tearing all my clothes off in public types) and all kinds of secondary symptoms of the pain (like hyperventilating and losing feeling in my face and hands and things) - the docs could never tell me what was going on, said that all of my bloodwork was normal etc. and I kept living with the knowledge that something was very, very wrong with me, that it could happen again at any time and that I had known more pain than most people do during their lives. So yeah, I feel ya on that one. The abdominal stuff can get really nasty really fast. I'm glad you're past that pain by now.
Hereditary Celiac Disease
(misdiagnosed: thyroid, fibro., anemia, lupus, GERD, lactose intol.)
Possible additional sensitivity to soy, legumes.

All these strange symptoms are starting to make sense.
So happy to have found you all.

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

Last summer I went to the ER once, because we thought I had a heart attack. They hooked me up to heart monitors, which 'only' showed severe palpitations (they didn't think they were a problem), did an x-ray of the lungs and liver, and did blood tests. The nurse kept telling me to stop hyperventilating, as she said that wasn't helpful. Duh, I knew that, but she should have tried the awful pain I was in, being made to lie still on my back for five hours, and not hyperventilating! Especially because they gave me nothing at all to help with the pain.

In the end, the verdict was, that my heart was fine, the liver and lungs were fine, and that my electrolytes were out of whack, with especially my potassium very low (at that point I had severe, watery diarrhea for a week). And that the pain was 'only' caused by severe stomach and bowel cramps, and that there was nothing wrong with me. And without even fixing the potassium, they sent me home.

The next time that happened, I just curled up on the couch (I was all alone) and prayed to be allowed to die. No point in trusting stupid doctors to be any help, for sure.

Anyway, you sound like the same thing happened to you. I've never had another one of those episodes after going gluten-free, it was obviously caused by celiac disease.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

YES!!! I had SEVERE pain. It felt like a paint scraper scraping the insides of my guts every time I ate. Ultimately, I learned that I had complete villous atrophy .... severe intestinal damage. I never called an ambulance, but oh my goodness the pain was unbearable.

#8 Electra

Electra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

I'm actually relieved to hear that others have had the same thing. After he made that comment I was thinking that maybe I was on the wrong track here, but I'm pretty sure now that It was caused by celiac. I keep trying to tell myself that there is no way I have this disease, but what I really know is there is no way I DON'T have this disease!!
~~Angie~~

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

I had a similar attack last night, although mine was down lower. It was so intense that if it had been on the right side instead of the left, I would have gone to the ER thinking I had appendicitis.

I did not sleep at all--every time I shifted position, the pain shot through me. I took Extra Strength Bufferin, and tried not to move!

I finally shuffled to the bathroom early in the morning, and almost passed out from the pain of trying to go--but after I did, the pain lessened a bit.

I'm still sore tonight, but it's not nearly as bad as last night. I'm exhausted, and hope to get some sleep tonight <_<

I hope that you're doing better :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:09 PM

wow, i think i am in pain just thinking about what you all have felt!!! :(

patti and electra---hope you are both doing ok. xoxo

#11 daisey

daisey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

I am so sorry that that happened to you. I have had the same intense pain. Sometimes when the pain is so intense, an antispasmotic, or a tranquilizer like ativan may help. Check with your M.D. Recently, I was so sick with d and vomiting that I gave myself a hernia!!!!!!!!

quote name='Electra' date='Dec 1 2006, 06:16 PM' post='241493']
Well I ate Ritz Crackers again trying to get a reaction because I had my nerve test scheduled today and I NEVER got to have the test. I had to call the ambulance from the dr's office parking lot because I thought I was dying. The pain in the upper part of my stomach was so unreal that I could barely breath! I was transported by ambulance to the hospital.

Directly before the attack started I went to the bathroom and it was (as usual) extremely soft. Then the stomach pain begun and I still can feel like twitching and muscle movement down my vaginal cavity and my colan!!

[/quote]

#12 Rebecca47

Rebecca47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

There must of been something in the air last night, I also was having pains in my left side and it was hurting terrible. I couldn't even touch my side. I feel like Jerseyangel I am glad it wasn't on my right side I really would of been scared. Not sure what it was, It is also that time of month so who knows. I don't even hardly have those any more maybe 2 or 3 days. Hope every one feels better soon. I took a valium last night so I slept better than usual.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006
Blood test, No Biopsy
IgA off the scale 44 now 3
IgG 56
(tTG) IgA 25 now 2
(tTG) IgG 1 now 1
now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007
Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006
As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions
Lactose Intolerence

#13 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

Dear Electra,
I am gluten intolerant, and have experienced pain like that. It is like a poking pain all over my stomach. I had so much gas, I thought I was having a heart attack! Last week, I got glutened somehow. My parents leave crumbs everywhere, and I am paranoid careful, so it is anyone's guess what did it. I sometimes take up to twelve hours to feel the full affects. I get terribly nauseous, have diarrhea, stomach bloating, terrible poking pains all over my stomach, my colon hurts, and I shake and my heart palpitates, and my hands often go numb. Luckily, if I get my Promethazine down quick enough, I can prevent it from getting to the point I dry heave with such force that my entire body hurts. I often have trouble breathing until I can belch when I get like this. NO MORE RITZ CRACKERS! It is so not worth the misery. The twitching in your lower body cavities is something I got as well. I hope you feel better soon!
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#14 grannynanny

grannynanny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

Electra,

I, too, had a trip to the ER by ambulance a couple of years ago (before I knew I had celiac disease) with pain and bloating. It was like being in the final stages of labor, but the pain was just under my ribcage. I was on a morphine drip for the pain and after numerous MRIs and CAT scans with barium, it resolved (I think the barium acted like a huge Tums). Anyway, when the pain started again a week or two later, I got online where I found out about Celiac. I immediately cut gluten from my diet and felt like a new person! Nothing in my hospital chart says "celiac attack," but we know, don't we? :rolleyes:
Self-diagnosed and gluten free since August 2004 (having suffered debilitating bouts of nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea and stomach pain for 6 years).

Met with Dr. A. Fasano in Baltimore (Dec 2006), who felt I didn't need to be tested based on my history and positive response to the gluten-free diet.

#15 breann6

breann6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

im going through the same thing right now. it started on Wednesday night and i still feel like I have just been hit with a lousiville slugger right under the ribs...its slowly going away- but its so bad i have been taking percocet for the pain. i have had this same thing before and ER trips all end with saying i had heartburn or something stupid on the discharge papers like "you have been diagonosed with _stomach pain_ " :angry: ....

lots of sympathy from me! feel better soon :) eat easy and let yourself heal...

~breann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: