6 replies to this topic

#1 gZimmiZ

gZimmiZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:51 PM

I was looking at the new Pampered Chef catalog thinking about purchasing a pizza stone when I saw something new. They are making toaster bags that you can put your bread, french toast, pizza etc., into and toast in any toaster and not contaminate your toast or the toaster. They are reuseable up to 10 times each and cost $10.00 for 4 bags, kinda pricey. They say it toasts golden and crispy. Has anyone used them yet? Do they work?
I am especially interested since my student will be returning to college and it may be difficult to guarantee a dedicated gluten free toaster in the cafeteria.
Also, would anyone recommend baking stones for pizza and/or cookies over air bake type cookie sheets? Thanks everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lily

Lily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:14 AM

I bought a baking stone from Pampered Chef. Since purchasing it, I won't use a regular pan anymore. It toasts things evenly, doesn't burn, etc. Also, if you bake something like french fries, it gets nice and crispy because the moisture from freezing it is absorbed into the stone. Cookies are great baked on the stone also. I highly suggest it and am actually planning on buying another, sometimes 1 just isn't enough!

Lily

#3 jendenise

jendenise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:18 PM

has anyone tried the toaster bags since this topic started? I'd love to know...

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:36 PM

No, haven't tried it.

As long as those bags don't have holes in them or something to let the heat through, they should work :D

Sounds like a good idea for someone in a situation like that at college, though for personal use at home, you'd be better off buying a toaster for $10 instead of four bags for $10.

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

;) i just went to a celiac support group meeting here in suffolk county and we were each given one of these toaster bags--they are very heavy--have no holes in them and others there said that they work very well--i dont know :( i threw my toaster out a long time ago <_< deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 liljules5

liljules5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:17 PM

My mom's friend gave me a toaster bag and I just got back from my aunts house where I used it. It worked well. You just put the gluten-free bread in the toaster bag (defrosted) and it toasts well!! Just be careful when taking it out of the toaster as it catches steam and can burn you. I'm going to buy another pack since my aunt accidently threw it out. (they're good for 10 uses I think....)
gluten-free since January 7, 2005 and feeling a LOT better... :)
Positive Biopsy diagnosed celiac disease 1/7/05
Started on Cytomel (thyroid medication) Feb 21, 2006. has made all the difference in the world!!

#7 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:33 PM

I bought some of the Pampered Chef Toaster Bags to use when we went on vacation this past December. They worked good as far as toasting the bread, and I was glad to not have to haul our gluten-free toaster along with us! It is a huge 4 slot thing that works great for us at home, but would have been a pain to bring. My only complaint with the bags was that after a few uses(about 5) they got holes in them from touching up against the heating elements. I had to throw them out before I used them "10 times" like it says on the instructions. Also, I was concerned about the crumbs that they picked up on the outside of the bag. I still had to be careful not to contaminate the toast. They are also a bit pricey, so I figured next year when we go on a vacation I will spend the money on a cheap lightweight two slice toaster that can be our traveling gluten-free toaster! It would be easier and less work trying to reduce the cross contamination and much cheaper. You can pick up a cheap toaster for less that $10 at Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc...

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: