#1 jaycee30

jaycee30

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:07 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Wendy's hamburger and Arby's roast beef is gluten free? The kids at the counter can't tell me (of course) and I'm not sure how to find out for sure.

I'm also allergic to eggs, so eat out almost never. but htere are times when I need a fast food meal and these are two that I rely on heavily. I'm just going gluten-free and wondering if these will also have to go :(
Ttg 0.9 (negative) AGA IGG 8.4 (negative) AGA IGA 36.1 (positive) Finally DX'd gluten intolerant 8/26/04

York Lab food sensitivity test confirmed Gluten intolerant as well as milk, soy, yeast, barley, wheat, tomatos and peppercorn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Alexolua

Alexolua

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:22 AM

You're asking if just the meat is gluten-free, right?

It's possible it could be. The major problem you could encounter though, is that the person who would prepare your meat for you, is also handling the buns for other people's meals, and could get some trace amounts of gluten on your meat.

That's called cross contamination. When a food that is gluten-free, gets some gluten from other sources on it. Does make the diet a bit harder, since you need to watch out for that.

So in my opinion, Arbys and Wendy's should go.. wich does suck, I ate there a whole bunch before I went gluten-free. Haven't been at either place since.

Try looking through these boards, you should find a lot of stuff to help you out. =)

#3 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:37 PM

I wonder about Carls jr low carb $6 burger. It is so good, the best fast food burger I have had yet. I haven't gotten sick from it yet so I am hoping it is ok. I love the way they wrap it in lettuce and you get to eat it like a burger! (not like the others where they give you a fork and knife)

#4 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

How sensitive are you? Because if you aren't super sensitive, then you may not feel anything. Though doesn't mean you aren't doing yourself harm.

I like to be really careful though, and don't trust others to not contaminate something I'm eating. =)

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:05 AM

You can look this information up yourself because most of the fast food places now have complete ingredient information at their web sites and some have gluten-free lists. These are easy to find and will save you time. Print them out and take them with you.

Wendy's has a gluten-free list. Arby's lists the top 8 allergens in each item and also has a complete list of ingredients.

richard

#6 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:58 AM

I don't know if this applies to all Arby's but they recently changed their roast beef to 100% angus.

Gretchen

#7 TINADOYLE

TINADOYLE

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:21 PM

When I was on vacation this past summer (my first vacation as a celiac). I ate at a Wendy's several times (explained I was allergic to wheat to simplify things) and didn't get sick once.

#8 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

I have to say I agree with Alexolua. Maybe it's because I almost died from celiac disease and spent 3 weeks at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota praying to get over this disease, but I would never take a chance on a place like Wendy's. There's cross-contamination written all over those kind of places, and I just can't risk getting as sick as I got last year. Not to mention you can eat there every day, not feel a thing, and then 3 or 4 months later be sick as a dog and the damage has been done, too late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: