Was It The Beef?

6 posts in this topic

So I went out to my favorite Thai place on Thursday nite. I've been there at least five times with no gastrointenstinal incidents. I had the same thing I usually get except for they had filets. So I got a filet instead of the normal chicken.

Usually when I get glutened it hits me by the end of the meal and it lasts about three days. I was fine after the meal - it wasn't until the next morning that it hit me. Then I had vomiting, cramping, headache, fatigue along with shards of glass lodged in my intestinal lining.

I felt like that most of Friday, but by Friday nite the bulk of the intestinal stuff was gone.

So, I'm thinking it wasn't gluten because it would've lasted longer and it would've come on sooner. could it have been the beef? I haven't eaten any beef for over 6 weeks. and I know that it's a bit hard to digest.

Or it could just be my body being angry at me. After the elimination diet failed, I fell off the casein wagon into a delicious land of cheese. My stomach has NOT been happy with me...maybe eating out just pushed it over the edge?

I go see a *comprehensive* doctor in about a week and she's going to tell me i must hop back onto the casein train and end the vacation. So I'm living it up a bit more than I normally would. :rolleyes:

Ads by Google:

My guess is that it probably is gluten, because you ate out. My gluten reactions vary...from almost right away, to hours later, and have different symptoms sometimes. Mine ususally hit really hard really fast.... but, I went out to eat (and I NEVER eat out because I am so sensitive) this week at a "safe" place....hours later I felt it and am still dealing with it.

If you had eaten at home...that would be a different story. But because you ate out, even though you have eaten there safely before (which is not necessarily a guarantee of further success, unfortunately :(), I would be inclined to think it is gluten.

I hope you feel better!

I just got over a stomach virus (mostly over) and it sounds a lot like your symptoms. These suckers are going around now and they're highly contagious! Whole cruise ships full of people get hit with them. Just about everyone that was at my Thanksgiving dinner has come down with it, my neices's husband probably gave it to us all.

I had vomiting, chills and muscle aches. The next day I was just nauseous and had a terrible headache. I haven't had much appetite for the entire week afterwards.

What are the symptoms?

When you have stomach flu, you may have one or more of the following symptoms:

* nausea

* vomiting

* stomach cramps

* diarrhea

* mild fever

* fatigue

* chills

* loss of appetite

* muscle aches.

The illness may develop over a period of hours, or it may suddenly start with stomach cramps, vomiting, or diarrhea.

How was the beef flavored? Did they use teriyaki? Soy sauce anywhere? Even if the restaraunt itself didn't use soy sauce somewhere, beef is now processed with flavor enhancers and such to make it more tender and flavorfull. And who know WHAT is in that solution. (saw it on Food channel or Discovery. Can't remember which). And yes, the reactions to gluten can very in a person. Usually mine is delayed, but once I did have an immediate reaction.

Hope it passes quickly.

Weird...I mean it definately felt VERY much like I was glutened, but I'm fine now. I've never had one pass so quickly. Plus the reaction was so delayed. So between those two things, I kind of ruled gluten out.

Maybe I'll make something with ground beef in it for dinner tonite and see if anything happens.

Mmmm...tacos with cheese :D and sour cream :D before my dairy vacation comes to a screeching halt!

Sounds like either a stomach flu, or - quite honestly - a mild case of food poisoning. No, in the case of mild cases of food poisoning, other people do not have to have gotten sick - it depends on how well your body fights it off. But it could also be the dairy catching up to you. If it's fairly significantly out of your gluten pattern (timing was, you say), then I wouldn't be in a rush to suspect gluten.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Seeing as the flu shot will stimulate your immune system, it stands to reason that it could make symptoms flare.  I have never had a flu shot because I am low risk for catching it.  Now, I am nervous to try having one in case the above happens. I am not against vaccines, either, but I have never had the flu and just do not want a flare of symptoms......which can happen at any stage of recovery. I have been under stress for awhile after a few deaths in my family and sure enough, for the first time in 11 years, I have been having some subtle symptoms again and I have not been glutened at all. The docs tell me this is completely normal for those with AI diseases.  Trying to keep the immune system calm and happy can be challenging at times!
    • There's a gluten sniffing dog?????????????  I WANT ONE!  That way, as a service dog, I could take the pup into a restaurant and not be kicked out.  I have always marveled how in Europe, you see some dogs in cafes, sitting besides their owners while they eat. But having a dog to sniff out gluten is just so cool!
    • So, if this supposed damage cannot be seen under a microscope, how does Dr. Fine state with any amount of credibility that the damage is there?  He also needs to distinguish between NCGI and actual Celiac Disease because there is a huge difference. Regardless of what he claims, it is a well established fact that only in Celiac Disease is there villi damage. I am in no way dismissing the very severe symptoms of some with NCGI or its existence as an illness but people without Celiac do not usually have anemia, malabsorption and the resultant vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Their villi do not curl up and die. If there were damage done to a person with NCGI, then if on biopsy, the doctor hits a sweet spot, they would be able to see the damage under microscopic exam. I am also in no way defending the mainstream medical establishment because they certainly nearly killed me with their ignorance.  I know no doctor was looking for Celiac 30 years ago when I was sick but I presented with classic Celiac and they still got it wrong. So, I do hear you on that point but in today's world, we do understand Celiac much better and what Dr. Ford comes out with does not match known science. The problem we have is finding a sure fire way of diagnosing people before their guts are totally trashed.  I am sure testing will become much better and more sensitive for people in the early stages of the disease. I have a very open mind on medical issues and my doctor is a functional medicine MD. They have helped me more than most. But if Dr. Fine wants to be taken seriously, he needs to publish his findings for review by others in the medical field. He should be working with the current medical establishment to enlighten them if he has discovered things they haven't. But when he makes statements like the one I quoted, its hard to take him seriously. BTW....I encourage anyone who becomes ill from eating gluten to be tested for Celiac and if that cannot be proved, then by all means go strictly gluten-free. I know there are people who fall through the cracks but when someone states they need to be gluten-free for health reasons, I believe them!  You don't have to have a diagnosis to want to improve your health with a dietary change.  I am glad your husband has become well on the diet!  That really is the bottom line......  
    • I'm going to hope for a gluten-sniffing dog!  Funny, my 5th grader's science project was about cancer sniffing dogs.  During her presentation, she used our labrador to demonstrate.  She trained our dog to identify food masking as "cancer cells".  It was hilarious!  Our dog actually did it!   Anyway, I can't agree more with Gemini about the TTG measuring dietary compliance.  I continue to test negative to the TTG.   I think the DGP should be included in helping to determine dietary compliance.   Finally, I was saddened to hear that Dr. Fasano's recent research showed that some 20% of children are not experiencing intestinal healing.  We know from other studies that some 2/3 of  adult celiac patients never heal.  It is disheartening!  More post-diagnosis research and better tools to manage celiac disease are desperately needed.  
    • The flu vaccines can also be a bit of a gamble with what strains they put in each year. I've been OK with them generally but one year I had a really bad reaction to it and ended up feeling like someone was shoving razor blades down my throat for the best part of a week 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Carolyn Clark