Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Was It The Beef?

6 posts in this topic

So I went out to my favorite Thai place on Thursday nite. I've been there at least five times with no gastrointenstinal incidents. I had the same thing I usually get except for they had filets. So I got a filet instead of the normal chicken.

Usually when I get glutened it hits me by the end of the meal and it lasts about three days. I was fine after the meal - it wasn't until the next morning that it hit me. Then I had vomiting, cramping, headache, fatigue along with shards of glass lodged in my intestinal lining.

I felt like that most of Friday, but by Friday nite the bulk of the intestinal stuff was gone.

So, I'm thinking it wasn't gluten because it would've lasted longer and it would've come on sooner. could it have been the beef? I haven't eaten any beef for over 6 weeks. and I know that it's a bit hard to digest.

Or it could just be my body being angry at me. After the elimination diet failed, I fell off the casein wagon into a delicious land of cheese. My stomach has NOT been happy with me...maybe eating out just pushed it over the edge?

I go see a *comprehensive* doctor in about a week and she's going to tell me i must hop back onto the casein train and end the vacation. So I'm living it up a bit more than I normally would. :rolleyes:

Ads by Google:

My guess is that it probably is gluten, because you ate out. My gluten reactions vary...from almost right away, to hours later, and have different symptoms sometimes. Mine ususally hit really hard really fast.... but, I went out to eat (and I NEVER eat out because I am so sensitive) this week at a "safe" place....hours later I felt it and am still dealing with it.

If you had eaten at home...that would be a different story. But because you ate out, even though you have eaten there safely before (which is not necessarily a guarantee of further success, unfortunately :(), I would be inclined to think it is gluten.

I hope you feel better!

I just got over a stomach virus (mostly over) and it sounds a lot like your symptoms. These suckers are going around now and they're highly contagious! Whole cruise ships full of people get hit with them. Just about everyone that was at my Thanksgiving dinner has come down with it, my neices's husband probably gave it to us all.

I had vomiting, chills and muscle aches. The next day I was just nauseous and had a terrible headache. I haven't had much appetite for the entire week afterwards.

What are the symptoms?

When you have stomach flu, you may have one or more of the following symptoms:

* nausea

* vomiting

* stomach cramps

* diarrhea

* mild fever

* fatigue

* chills

* loss of appetite

* muscle aches.

The illness may develop over a period of hours, or it may suddenly start with stomach cramps, vomiting, or diarrhea.

How was the beef flavored? Did they use teriyaki? Soy sauce anywhere? Even if the restaraunt itself didn't use soy sauce somewhere, beef is now processed with flavor enhancers and such to make it more tender and flavorfull. And who know WHAT is in that solution. (saw it on Food channel or Discovery. Can't remember which). And yes, the reactions to gluten can very in a person. Usually mine is delayed, but once I did have an immediate reaction.

Hope it passes quickly.

Weird...I mean it definately felt VERY much like I was glutened, but I'm fine now. I've never had one pass so quickly. Plus the reaction was so delayed. So between those two things, I kind of ruled gluten out.

Maybe I'll make something with ground beef in it for dinner tonite and see if anything happens.

Mmmm...tacos with cheese :D and sour cream :D before my dairy vacation comes to a screeching halt!

Sounds like either a stomach flu, or - quite honestly - a mild case of food poisoning. No, in the case of mild cases of food poisoning, other people do not have to have gotten sick - it depends on how well your body fights it off. But it could also be the dairy catching up to you. If it's fairly significantly out of your gluten pattern (timing was, you say), then I wouldn't be in a rush to suspect gluten.