This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms

draeko

draeko Apprentice

Good morning everyone,

Just diagnosed a few weeks ago and I am still dealing with lots of symptoms. I have a few weird ones and was wondering if someone else experienced them.

Really warm face and some flushing

numbness in legs and arms

pressure in my head that it makes it difficult to walk

Just need some reassurance this is all do to Celiac. My doctor assures me it is. ?? Im a little concerned.

Melanie :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Good morning everyone,

Just diagnosed a few weeks ago and I am still dealing with lots of symptoms. I have a few weird ones and was wondering if someone else experienced them.

Really warm face and some flushing

numbness in legs and arms

pressure in my head that it makes it difficult to walk

Just need some reassurance this is all do to Celiac. My doctor assures me it is. ?? Im a little concerned.

Melanie :(

Hi Melanie :)

Try not to worry--I had those symptoms, too. It takes time for those sort of things to go away--probably several months.

Guest Norah022

I have been gluten free since June and am still having those symptoms so it is going to be a long haul for a while but hopefully it will get better for the both of us!

draeko Apprentice
I have been gluten free since June and am still having those symptoms so it is going to be a long haul for a while but hopefully it will get better for the both of us!

Really :o Have you seen any improvement? Please tell me yes...I've been living like this for 7 years now full of wicked symptoms but I wish they could go away overnight...sorry to vent..Im sure you feel the same way..

Thanks for you reply

Melanie

sagemoon Newbie

I have had all sorts of wierd symptoms as well, including a hot face, and just realized yesterday that a few more have gone to the wayside. I have been gluten free since January 2006, but have still been getting some hidden gluten as evidenced by a positve IgA a month ago, but it is a lot better than it was. One of my symptoms was the inability to have a proper conversation on any given day - I just could not remember the name of anything! It was so frustrating. I'd wind up pointing to the object that I could not name - say the kitchen countertop - and getting so mad at the person I was talking to because they could not get what I was trying to say. Sheesh!!! Anyway, I realized yesterday that I have been having perfectly clear conversations for a while. YeeHaa!! This healing may also have been helped by all of the logic puzzles I have been forcing myself to do daily. They really are hateful things and very difficult for me to do, I guess it is because I am an artist and don't think particularly logically, but I have improved on my success rate from 1 out of 5 right to 3 out of 5 right. (I am bored with the Sudoku and regular crosswords)

The second healing I have noticed is that I do not want to take my Ritalin anymore. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago with Adult ADD. The Ritalin really helped when I needed to pay particular attention. I had a lot of business meetings to attend and would find mindself drifting off and unable to follow the conversation. I was getting lost a lot when I was driving. I also tried to burn down the house a couple of times by boiling the pan dry. I hadn't taken it very much over the past 6 months because I have been hoping the gluten was the culprit and was holding out for my brain to settle down after going gluten free, but the thought of never getting a refill again was really scary. I realized just over the past few days that I don't care about it anymore, at all. I haven't had any since I don't know when and feel perfectly capable of handling life without it. Both of these improvements are huge events as far as I am concerned.

I still get a hot face now and then, but it is rarer and rarer. It does take a while for things to settle down after going gluten free. Hang in there and look forward to happy days when you, too, realize that something good has happened. :)

Guest Norah022
Really :o Have you seen any improvement? Please tell me yes...I've been living like this for 7 years now full of wicked symptoms but I wish they could go away overnight...sorry to vent..Im sure you feel the same way..

Thanks for you reply

Melanie

Actually it has gotten much much worse but that could just be my body so it doesn't mean it will be the case with you. Everything that is suppossed to happen when you go gluten free has not happened with me so I don't really know how to explain that.

sagemoon Newbie
Actually it has gotten much much worse but that could just be my body so it doesn't mean it will be the case with you. Everything that is suppossed to happen when you go gluten free has not happened with me so I don't really know how to explain that.

Hey Nora,

Actually, I felt a lot better after going gluten-free for the first month, but just the stomach stuff. Then I got really sick for about a month, all of my previous symptoms were back with a vengeance. I figured out that it was SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). I think it happened because I had lost a lot of my fiber in the Gluten-free process. You can get it treated with antibitotics, but I found a diet online (sorry, can't remember where I found it, google SIBO) that worked well. Basically, it is the Atkins diet except you eat fresh fruit as well. It is meant to eliminate any refined carbs and sugars to deprive the wrong bacteria from growing in your gut and the high fat portion makes everything slip through your gut at a higher rate. I did it for 2 weeks and felt really good afterwards. It then took me about 2 months before I noticed the fatigue and arthritis symptoms to have really subsided. Just hang in there and research everything that happens to you. I wouldn't have known about the SIBO except I searched the internet with the question as to why I was still sick if I had gone gluten-free. I forget the exact search phrase I used, but it was pretty close to just WHY AM I STILL SICK?!? My gastro guy and my Family MD had no idea. You have to pursue this and not give up.

Hope this helps and that you feel better soon, :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, DEFINITELY take probiotics. They will help immensely. I can point you in the right direction on those if you need help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Norah022

Actually the stomach problems are all gone.

I am having issues with serious vertigo and lightheadedness, passed out a few times. Having serious breathing issues that no one can figure out.

I was doing really well for the first three months then went back to school and got immensely ill with the above symptoms.

Sophiekins Rookie

Hey Nora,

Try cutting corn out of your diet - it causes me to feel constantly dizzy with episodes of vertigo so severe that I have to stay completely motionless until they stop of their own accord. It also causes breathing problems (let me guess. . .your lung capacity is way down, but it isn't pneumonia, and your doc would be thinking you had asthma, except that none of the asthma drugs do anything at all and all of the tests come back negative?). I had to change jobs because of this - my workplace had a popcorn machine that was used occasionally, but which was enough to cause the breathing problems. I also have to limit the time I spend in movie theatres and malls with popcorn stands.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I still get tingles and numbness, mostly in my wrists or hands and sometimes my feet. I've been gluten-free for almost 4 years and still those show up randomly. Hopefully you wont have this issue..

~ lisa ~

Guest Norah022
Hey Nora,

Try cutting corn out of your diet - it causes me to feel constantly dizzy with episodes of vertigo so severe that I have to stay completely motionless until they stop of their own accord. It also causes breathing problems (let me guess. . .your lung capacity is way down, but it isn't pneumonia, and your doc would be thinking you had asthma, except that none of the asthma drugs do anything at all and all of the tests come back negative?). I had to change jobs because of this - my workplace had a popcorn machine that was used occasionally, but which was enough to cause the breathing problems. I also have to limit the time I spend in movie theatres and malls with popcorn stands.

Actually my lung capacity is normal.....

And the vertigo is continuous..IT never stops.

Archived