Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Coping With Mistakes

5 posts in this topic

Hi. My BF is a celiac and was dignoised about two years ago though he had it all his life. I have been trying to find out as much as possible about it to help make his life eaiser. He knows what to eat and not to eat but things still happen and mistakes happen.

I know there is no treatment other than a gluten-free diet but surely someone somewhere found someway to help cope with the mistakes. While nothing is proven, does anyone know anything that can ease the pain and help it move through the system faster? He has found a few cups of yerbal mate tea helps to ease some of the symptons. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ads by Google:

Hi Littlewolf,

Everyone experiences different reactions. Mine are vomiting and horrible diarrhea for hours on end. I get severly dehydrated, bad enough that I've ended up in the hospital. What my doctors give me now is anti-nasuea meds, which help on a, almost, daily basis. When I have my reaction, it like the worst case of the flu that you can ever think of, so I try to relax myself with the heating pad on my stomach and then my husband makes me peppermint tea. After all the "activity" I then drink vitamin water to regain my strength. For all of my episodes, I have out of work for a solid week.

So what do I do? I am so careful thank goodness I haven't had one of those experiences in a while. I just say to myself, if I am in doubt do WITHOUT!

I hope this helps you a little. Have a great day!

Linda :)

Littlewolf:

When I have cramping pains, bloating and gas, drinking lots of strong peppermint tea, doing yoga or pilates positions to 'push the gas through', walking or just drinking lots of warm water helps resolve my painful symptoms. ;) To cope psychologically, doing gluten/casein/soy 'sleuthing' to determine the food culprit for my symptoms really helps me feel more in control of an out of control situation (those awfully painful symptoms). :o Besides just riding out the symptoms as best I can, I want to do whatever I can to prevent a recurrence. So I try to track the ingrediant in whatever I ate which was responsible for my symptoms. <_<

BURDEE

Waya (my BF) gets very bad stomach pains, dizziness, diarrhea and mood swings and tends to have them for a few days at varying degrees. He is very careful about what he eats (even things that say

Papaya in any form is supposed to help.

richard