This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ate Peanuts...

Mary Contrary

Mary Contrary Rookie

Sorry I tried to find a thread about this...but I am in the early healing stages..it's has been two months since gluten free..anyway I couldn't stand it Saturday night and ate a bunch of salt-free roasted peanuts that I shelled myself, anyway by the next morning I felt like somebody had kicked me in the lower guts.....

I have really been watching what I eat, but just had the munchies so damn bad I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

I of course am not eating peanuts again for a good long while, but just wondered if this happens or has happened to anybody else...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Numerous possibilities:

1. peanuts themselves are gluten free. so unless there was a risk of cross contamination, it probably wasn't direct gluten.

2. if it wasn't gluten, your body probably hasn't healed, and it might just not been able to handle it, for some unknown reason.

3. you have some sort of intolerance/allergy (etc) with peanuts.

those are my thoughts. I hope you are ok!!!!!

moceansylvia- Newbie

Oh It isn't bad enough that we have to eat gluten free, but you went through the trouble to shell the peanuts and you got sick. I have not encountered what you are talking about because I am still new and too scared to go off track. I have been neurotic about it and afraid to try something new. I have a store called trader joe's and they gave me Better'n Peanut Butter. It takes the place of that urge that you get for some peanuts. Get this it is 85% less fat 40% less calories, no saturated fat, no trans fat, bluten free, dairy free, no cholesterol no preservatives. OK I was afraid to try this (in writing perfect food) it must taste like cardboard. I had my husband try it and he said it was good. Then I tried it and was so happy to try a food that actually tastes like my pre-gluten diagnosis food. YEA, ITS GOOD. gOOD LUCK I still find eating very hard and hate cooking now. If I never see another salad or veggie again, it would be ok to me. I hate the bread that weighs as much as my daughters platform shoes.

happygirl Collaborator

many "normal" peanut butters are naturally gluten free. just read the labels. we have used peanut pan pb in our house.

Mary Contrary Rookie

oh yes, love Trader Joes..I just think peanuts at the mo are to rough for my intestines...just wondered if they bothered anybody else in the beginning..

I am just sticking to meat, chicken, rice, potatoes and a few other veggies..homemade stew has been good for me and I made the best mac and cheese with Ancient Harvet Quinoa pasta, it was quite excellent, even the H loved it, but milk and cheese aren't too good for me right now either...

I don't mind cooking this way..it isn't really too tough..as soon as I am feeling a bit better going to try mastering something so I can have a pizza.. :D ...bought a gluten free pizza dough mix to try in a few weeks..YAY..

sunshinen Apprentice

Yep! Peanuts are just really hard to digest to begin with and many people have problems with them, even if they aren't strictly allergic to them. When I first started the diet, I snacked on a nut mix a lot, but I finally figured out that it was the nuts making my stomach hurt all the time because they weren't digesting. So at least for the healing portion, staying away from peanuts and maybe other nuts is a good idea.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I buy natural peanut butter for my kids, it's just peanuts and salt. I use almond butter for myself as I'm allergic to mold, which peanuts are high in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mary Contrary Rookie
Yep! Peanuts are just really hard to digest to begin with and many people have problems with them, even if they aren't strictly allergic to them. When I first started the diet, I snacked on a nut mix a lot, but I finally figured out that it was the nuts making my stomach hurt all the time because they weren't digesting. So at least for the healing portion, staying away from peanuts and maybe other nuts is a good idea.
good advice..and I might add popcorn is not good either..Good Lord..no pain, but way too frickin much ruffage at the mo.. :blink: so far it has just been the peanuts that have given me any pain...

Oh good to know about the mold in peanuts, we only use natural peanuts butter too, I have the feeling that as soon as I get healed up, I'll be able to go back to everything but gluten or course. I use to have an iron stomach so to speak until this cropped up.. :angry:

bluejeangirl Contributor
good advice..and I might add popcorn is not good either..Good Lord..no pain, but way too frickin much ruffage at the mo.. :blink: so far it has just been the peanuts that have given me any pain...

Oh good to know about the mold in peanuts, we only use natural peanuts butter too, I have the feeling that as soon as I get healed up, I'll be able to go back to everything but gluten or course. I use to have an iron stomach so to speak until this cropped up.. :angry:

Peanuts are very hard to digest and I found that out on thanksgiving. Its was the only snack I could have and ate to many. I can have about a tablespoon in a peanut butter sandwich with no problems but I can't eat much more. I was also making cookies made with almond flour awhile back. It was the only sweet I had in awhile so I ate like 6 of them. Well I should of learned from that because the next day I was miserable. Their just to high in fat and heavy.

Gail

CarlaB Enthusiast

My husband is perfectly healthy and popcorn affects him in a very negative way. ;) I eat it because it doesn't bother me, and when he eats some, too, he's always complainin later ... come to think of it, it's kind of strange that there's something that bothers him and not me!

clhsc Apprentice

I just had my colonoscopy yesterday and my doctor told me to stick with a very basic diet of veggies, fruits, and plain white meats. No peanuts, popcorn, pretzels... basically he said anything "sharp" or hard to digest. Hopefully this will help while I heal and get rid of the horrible cramping feeling that I have when I eat. He basically told me to just baby my intestines for a while.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Peanuts and peanut butter makes me sick, too! I feel like I've been glutened so now I won't eat them anymore.

jerseyangel Proficient
Peanuts and peanut butter makes me sick, too! I feel like I've been glutened so now I won't eat them anymore.

They do the same to me. I then looked further, and realized that I am intolerant to legumes. I was eating green beans every day, as well as the peanut butter.

Since omitting all legumes, I'm doing better. Sometimes you have to take this thing one step at a time--especially when other intolerances may be at play. :)

kabowman Explorer

I can't have any peanut product (probably just the leugumes thing too). I like the cashew butter as a nice replacement.

lindalee Enthusiast

Like Carla said the shelled peanuts have mold particularly the organic ones.

Roasted nuts in general have other products added-I stick to the raw nuts however I don't eat peanuts.

arc Newbie

I posted a thread about this a couple of months ago.

Ever since going gluten free, I don't tolerate legumes very well (peanuts are legumes). It is a different feeling for me than being glutened - mostly intense stomach cramps. Peanut butter is out and a lot of gluten free products bother me because they use bean flour. Sugar alcohols, which a similar long chain carbohydrate, also are out (even sugar free gum gives me stomach cramps). The strangest thing is that they never bothered me before I went gluten-free. Apparently, healing my gut made me unable to digest them.

Archived