Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Going To Disney, Need Suggestions

7 posts in this topic

Are there regular fast food chains in disney in Orlando, like Wendy's? I do not know what to do about food while I am there. Are there some things that are usually gluten-free at places like that? I really need some good advice. I get hungry often and need to eat, and bringing a big thing of food is not going to be realistic.

Karina

Ads by Google:

Disney is one of the easiest places in the world to eat gluten-free. When you call the dining number for preferred seating tell them you must eat gluten-free. They will then give you another number for a chef or food manager who will talk to you. When you get to the restaurant, the chef will come out and let you know what you can eat. We even went to buffets where they brought stuff out directly to me so that it wouldn't get contaminated. This is for full-service restaurants, where you should ALWAYS call ahead for preferred seating. If you don't, you might be in line for a long time or might not get in at all.

The fast-food places also have some gluten-free selections. They have McDonald's fries. The big turkey legs are gluten-free. There are places with gluten-free barbecue. A couple of places even have gluten-free buns for sandwiches or hamburgers (one of them is in Epcot -- the Liberty Inn). If you go to a character breakfast, they will frequently have gluten-free pancakes or waffles. Ask ahead about them.

Here's a web site with more info about gluten-free dining at Disney.

http://allearsnet.com/din/guestceliac.htm

And at this page you can look at menus for all of the Disney restaurants. This will help give you a better idea which ones have more gluten-free offerings.

http://allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

We stayed on property so we often went back to the room to eat lunch or dinner. This saves money and you get some rest. You can get a small refrigerator for an extra fee. We also carried a small backpack with some water and small snacks into the parks. This is a good idea even if you didn't have celiac disease because food and drinks in the parks are expensive.

We ate at Hollywood and Vine, a character breakfast, Whispering Canyon, Liberty Inn, and Restaurant Akershus (Norweigan).

I was really relaxed while I was there. Have fun!!

richarde

That's where we're going on our honeymoon in November (we're big kids)! I had no idea that they would cater so much to dietary concerns! That's world-class service for you. Thanks for the suggestions Richard, I'm going to have to check out their rolls & waffles!!

Gretchen

i'll second what richard said. i have had nothing but awesome service at disney and not only do they check food for you and serve you special but they totally act like it's no big deal and do not make you feel bad! they are extremely nice !! enjoy

Forgot to mention that when we went to the Liberty Inn and I ordered a snadwich on the gluten-free bun, they were out. The manager sent somebody off to get some. When it ended up taking 30 minutes he came to our table, apologized profusely, and made all our meals on the house.

richard

they also have pizza at the liberty inn, and the british pub in the england pavillion(rose and crown) has the best gluten-free cider: strongbow

Wow!!! I am soooooo excited!!! I have learned how to have fun without food, if you know what I mean, and I know you do. So to hear that I am actually going to be able to eat yummy food at Disney is so very exciting to me! My kiddos are not gluten-free yet, as they have not had a confirmed diagnosis, but it is good to know that if they do have to end up going gluten-free that we can all still have a great time at Disney!

OK, I am sounding like a commercial now, but thank you thankyou thankyou for the info!!!!

Karina

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Knowing that the reaction to gluten in celiacs is an uncalled for immune system reaction, I was thinking of how a cure would be possible. Maybe a medicine that somehow turns off the immune system. The only thing that i've heard do that... HIV.  obviously that's way worse than celiac. Just some food for thought.
    • Well, you can probably get an apple or something.  You might be able to get someone to boil you some eggs.  But be careful of things like nuts that should be naturally gluten free.  They have almost always been soaked in a flavor solution that usually containes caramel coloring, "soy" (wheat) sauce and other aditives.  If I am really hungry and must eat in a Chinese restaurant, I order plain white rice and steamed vegetables.  But even so, you must monitor it carefully.  The rice sometimes has other substances added to give it a better texture, and very often the vegetables have in fact had "just a little bit" of soy sauce added.  To be fair, celiac disease is hardly ever found in East Asians, so understandably people are not tuned it to it.  Also, culturally, with the exception of fruits, it is generally thought that the flavor of foods needs to be enhanced, so it is had to find anything natural even in the "western" gorceries. Even in the western restaurants, be careful.  Fish and meat and often vegetables are usually pre-marinated. I will not even attempt to address the issue of cross-comtamination, since that is a whole higher order of things. I do know what I am talking about; I have celiac and have worked here for nearly 7 years.  
    • I'm glad I found these forums!  I will spend some more time this evening reading through them.  But I wanted to get my question out there just to see if anyone else might have answers quicker than I can sift through the forum for them.      I've been feeling terrible for about a year, and after an elimination diet last month, figured out that if nothing else, gluten/wheat is a problem.  After lots of research, I abandoned the elimination diet and added gluten back in, so that I could get tested for Celiac.   I was off gluten for 3 weeks, from mid-June until early July.  I've had it back in my diet for almost 3 weeks now.    My question is this: Since I was off gluten for 3 weeks, and now back on for almost 3, is that enough time on to yield a positive Celiac blood test, if that indeed is what I have?  All the research I've done says 4-6 weeks for a gluten challenge, but is that really necessary if I was only not eating it for 3 weeks?  I am desperate to get this testing done and over with.  I feel terrible all the time and getting through the day is a struggle.  My doctor ran allergy panels already and everything came back clear except for a mild wheat allergy.  So if nothing else, I'll have to give up wheat for sure at the end of all this.  I get the feeling she doesn't know a ton about Celiac though, so I'm doing a lot of the research on my own. Any advice or information would be so appreciated! 
    • Hi Michael, That's quite a spike in blood pressure!  I haven't tested that myself and don't want to if it means I have to eat gluten.  Blood pressure testing to identify food reactions is something that has come up before.  It sounds like it might be possible but I don't know how much study has been done on it.  Probably not much since it is such a simple, straight forward idea. Welcome to the forum!
    • Hi Megan, Did the doctor test you for celiac disease?  You really shouldn't go gluten-free until all the testing for celiac disease is completed.  It is a little odd for a doctor to tell you to go gluten-free for no reason IMHO.  Did he/she explain the reason for it? Personally, I have learned over the years what I can eat safely and what I can't.  Occasionally I get hit but it is rare.  Simplifying your diet is a good first step.  Avoiding processed foods for a while and dairy also is good.  I suggest any change you make last for a month at least. Then try the food again. If you are eating 100 random ingredients/foods each day it is hard to figure these things out.  If you reduce it to a much smaller number of foods then things become simpler. Welcome to the forum!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    calla84