This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cold All The Time

rutland

rutland Enthusiast

I am sooooooo uncomfortably cold all the time. Sometimes I feel embarassed about it because I literally carry a blanket to the dinner table at times. Its not the normal feeling of being cold though. The best way to describe it is bone chilling, and painful cold. I always dread having to change my clothes at night and in the morning and feel the pain. I consider it painful.

Does anyone have the same thing. Im hoping to find others out there who can relate to this.

I wonder if cayenne pepper would help.

The scary thing is, I read that a chronically low body temp leaves one vulnerable to dangerous microorganisms, apparantly when a persons body temp is normal is creates an inhospitable environment for microorganisms like yeasts and parasites to multiply. They tend to favor a low temp enviroment.

Ive have my thyroid tested and all came back normal. Im perplexed :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have that. For me it's likely caused by Lyme disease ... I'll know for sure in January.

Mary Contrary Rookie

I am cold most of the time too..I haven't been this cold since my thyroid was dangerously out of whack, but it is under control now, just had it rechecked..but my hands and feets are freezing most of the time..so I get all bundled up and them I have a hot flash, I can't win... :rolleyes: but I am sure it is all related to Celiacs, I am hoping once I get healed up, I am only gluten free for 2 months now, that is will go away..along with the chronic D..

jennyj Collaborator

I freeze alot. I wear several layers of clothing all day. Mine is because of my severe anemia. I get teased some but I just shrug it off. My normal temperature is 97.2. Its kinda funny when I'm sick I have a fever at 98.6 :P The only suggestions I have is layering clothes and hot tea.

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI, I normally have always had a low body temp too and this made tracking my cycle while trying to get pregnant virtually void according to the doc, he couldn't believe it. Anyhow, my feet and hand used to be freezing too and so did the rest of me. I'd walk around the house with a hot rice bag most of the day. Since I began taking vit d last year, it's helped a ton and even sometimes my hubby says I don't always have to wear sock to bed anymore. Vit D is worth looking in to.

And about the thyroid. If you suspect something isn't right, go get your blood work done a few time when you have that intuition that it's not right. It took a long time for them to catch mine, and it's hypo. I was right. If you have a feeling about it, keep persistant. It's a tough on to check.

Nicole

bluejeangirl Contributor

What I do is just heat up water and drink it in a coffee cup. This way I can drink all day long without the accumulative affects of coffee or tea. It does seem to help. Just holding it in my hands feels good.

Gail

mommida Enthusiast

I get cold all of the time too. Layer your clothes and invest in a pair of UGGS. I found some at TJ Maxx for 1/2 the normal price. They are awesome! If they are off my feet, they are usually on the floor next to the bed. Those little hand warmers that hunters use are very nice too.

L.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I had this problem all my life. Long Johns would go on in October and stay on until May. I was never comfortable if the thermostat was less than 72 and I would still need a sweater or blanket to feel really warm. I used to sleep in pajamas and a robe and use a fan all year because hot flashes would wake me up then I would freeze soon after. I always thought it was just the way I was.....then this winter started. When the heat first came on I found myself constantly lowering it. Then I realized I still don't know where my long johns are and don't really care. I was a little chilly yesterday at dinner time and when I checked the thermostat I realized I had never turned it up from my 62 degree night setting. Something that has never occured before. I am still running my subnormal temp, I average 97.6 but I don't feel cold all the time anymore. For me now that I am over 4 years gluten free being cold isn't an issue any longer. Can't say the same will happen for others but I hope it does. It is nice to save on those heating bills without suffering to do it.

Nooner Newbie

I've always been cold too and have to be sick to get my temp up to 98.6. My thyroid has been tested umpteen times and always comes back normal. I've tried most of the tricks other people have mentioned. The thing that worked best for me was moving to a warmer climate. :D

Seriously, I used to live in North Dakota and I wore a blanket all the time and slept on top of a feather bed, under a down comforter and quilt, with a hot water bottle at my feet and another hugged to my stomach. I loved ND but had to move south because I was uncomfortable all the time. I still have issues with the cold when I'm in a place that's air conditioned.

I've had a little luck with taking kelp supplements. I think the extra iodine improves circulation, but I stopped taking them when I moved south. I drink lots of warm liquids - warms the core, and it's nice to wrap my hands around the warm cup.

rutland Enthusiast

So... Im asuming that being cold all the time is related to celiac disease. Im gluten free now for 4mos. I guess I need to give it more time. I think that the body may go through many changes once going gluten free, and maybe exacerbates certain symptoms while others get better, and then after the long haul the body readjusts and balances. This is my theory. I hope Im right.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
The scary thing is, I read that a chronically low body temp leaves one vulnerable to dangerous microorganisms, apparantly when a persons body temp is normal is creates an inhospitable environment for microorganisms like yeasts and parasites to multiply. They tend to favor a low temp enviroment.

Yes.... bacteria, yeasts and parasites do favor a low body temp. However...they actually *cause* the low body temp. Heavy metal toxicity also causes low body temp.

Since I got sick my body temp. went WAY down. At the time I even had an overactive thyroid which normally made me warmer than most people....but all of a sudden I was freezing. :huh:

This is when my body became toxic from Lyme disease, poor diet, stress, mercury, etc. Things just piled up because I had Lyme and didnt know it.

I've been reacting to everything and feeling worse since the winter is here....I feel WAY better in summer and dread winter. I havent started treatment for Lyme yet....I'm newly diagnosed. Last night I saw my Dr. and he was very concerned about my body temp.

He said I need to stay warm at all times....eat and drink only warm or hot foods and liquids....go to saunas...etc. He said when my body temp goes up I'll be less reactive and things will work better. The body does not function as well when the body temp. is low.

At this point....from the symptoms you descibe....which are similar to my own...its very possible you may have an infection of some kind. This would cause the chills and low body temp. Since your thyroid is normal and you're not eating gluten I would look into this....especially if you have multiple symptoms.

Your body temp is low and you're experiencing these symptoms for a reason. I know you are worried that you are creating a welcoming environment for bad microorganisms....but the reality is that these are big culprits in actually reducing your body temp. to begin with. They will create an environment which is favorable for them.

Lyme disease can lower body temperature and create poor blood circulation. A person is also likely to feel cysts, lumps, and swellings in different areas of their body that often change and move. The bacteria walls itself off, and creates an environment in which it can grow and thrive and the person with the disease ends up in severe pain, with horribly low energy, and neurological problems. The disease thrives in a low temperature, low oxygen environment, and that is the environment it creates within the body.

Heat can be helpful for treating Lyme Disease because the bacteria appears to prefer a low body temperature and is vulnerable to high heat. There are many different sources of heat that can be used to treat this condition. Heat can also be helpful for people with fibromyalgia and CFS who may actually have undiagnosed cases of Lyme Disease.
key Contributor

I also have been getting so cold that I have to take a hot bath in order to get warm. My temperature on a thermometer is actually above normal though. I run 100.0 degrees alot of the time. It is crazy. I think for me it is when I am very thin. Also I am anemic right now. I hate it though. I can't even bundle up and go watch my kids outdoors, because I am still cold with everything on. I live in MD and if I lived where it was any colder, I think I might die! All my thyroid tests just came back normal.

It is very annoying though! I wear a down coat around the house. I feel pretty stupid. I think I am going to try out the UGH boots. Maybe I will ask for some for Christmas.

Monica

mommida Enthusiast

You're going to love the UGG's! They may not be the cutest footwear, but they are sooo comfortable.

L.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
You're going to love the UGG's! They may not be the cutest footwear, but they are sooo comfortable.

L.

Yeah....UGG's are the BEST!! :D

Looking for answers Contributor

I can sympathize. I've always been super cold, and in fact I'm sitting under an electric blanket as I type this! I was so embarrased one time when I acutally wore long johns to a club I went to with friends--and I live in Orange County, Calif where it never gets too cold. :o It hurts so bad when I'm cold that my mind feels like it shutting down and I get really irritable. I absolutely hate air conditioners and often have to leave my office during the day to sit in the sun. I also believe that I'm the only Californian that uses her car heater year round!

I've been feeling better since I began adhering to a strict no-gluten diet, but it's still a problem. For me though, I wonder if it's genetic (or if we all have something seriously wrong with all of us) because my dad and sister are the same way.

I guess I can't offer you much more than a sympathetic ear (or eyes since this is in writing B) ). Let me know if you ever figure this out and I'll do the same, vice versa.

lindalee Enthusiast

I wear cuddle duds and wool socks and run the vaporizer which makes the room seem warmer and keeps the moisture in the air which helps the skin and fight viruses.

Archived