7 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy71

Cindy71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:22 AM

Has anyone ever heard of "sprouted bread?" I am checking out all of the foods that are in or cafetieria at work, and one of the workers told me his sister-in-law has celiac disease. He said she is allowed to have "sprouted bread."
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before?
Thank you-
Cindy :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:10 AM

Yes, I'm curious too! My mom just bought Ezekiel (SP?) Bread, and I've heard that it's gluten-free. Is that true?

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:17 AM

Ah... the sprouted bread debate. It pops up every once in a while, and at the end of the day, I don't think any of us have yet seen a sprouted grain bread that tests gluten free. _IN THEORY_, grains that have completely sprouted and are no longer relying on the seed (grain) for energy, have converted ALL of the gluten that was there into energy to grow the sprout. The problem is, this isn't a step function, it's asymptotic. That is, you approach "no gluten", but can't ever know when you're close enough. To make the matter worse, since these things are being done in large batches, seeds don't all sprout at the same rate, and it's made in a large factory, cross contamination ends up getting you gluten in those loves anyway.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:26 AM

Shoot! My mom and I both ate a slice, too. :( We should have checked the package before assuming. Well, I'm definately not going to eat it again!

#5 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:32 AM

Ack, my mom just looked at the package and it had barley malt in it and it wasn't even 'sprouted'. I'm afraid I'm going to really pay for this one later! :unsure:

#6 Cindy71

Cindy71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:51 AM

Thank you so much for the info! We're just OUT of luck for bread I guess. I did try the Kinnikinnick. Its ok. I make it past the first half of a sandwich (if that) then I end up throwing the rest out. Too dry! :)
This weekend I decided to roll the sandwich meat in lettuce as someone suggested - I liked that better than dry bread!
Thanks again everyone. B)

#7 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:36 AM

Cindy, try this with the Kinnikinnick bread, it comes out better this way:

Keep it frozen until you need it. Take as much as you need out of the freezer and put pieces in a single layer on a plate. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until it is soft. It stays more moist this way and doesn't taste so dry. If you just thaw a couple pieces and make a snadwich it will end up tasting dry. I like to toast the peices a little bit, but that is just me, I have eaten it a lot of different ways. Toasting it a little seems to help it stay together, untoasted it starts to fall apart, but not as bad as ofther gluten-free breads. Most are like cardboard, only they crumble when you eat them!

My favorite is the Sunflower Flax Seed bread. The White Sandwich bread is really good too.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:38 AM

You can also roll stuff in a corn tortilla. I've given up on gluten-free bread for sandwiches.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: