Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Poop Question

6 posts in this topic

I've been gluten free for a little over three months. My symptoms for the most part went away quickly, but it took a little longer to have a normal bowel movement. After about 3-4 weeks I did, but now I only go every couple of days or just a little bit at a time. After I go, I don't feel relieved. I feel like there's some left in my intestines or something. After about 4 days, I suddenly have to go-- ALOT. Then the cycle begins again. I've been taking stool softeners a few times a week. It's getting worse, and I've had a stomach ache and bloating since Friday. I've only gone a little bit three times in almost a week. Last night I took two stool softeners. I went this morning, but not enough. My poop isn't hard, the stool softeners just seem to help me go. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to help? PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I can't believe that we are talking about POOP :lol: . Well anyways, I have always had problems going to the bathroom before going gluten free. In high school I went like once very 5 days or so, but so did my sister so i thought it was normal. It wasn't until I met my husband that I found out that it wasn't LOL.

I have been gluten free for about 3 months now and am still only going like every 2 days or something and then sometimes a lot all of a sudden. I think the length of time for your intestines to heal varies from person to person depending on the amount of damage, age, how long they've had celiacs ect.

Also you have to really careful that you are not getting accidentally glutenated by food, soap, or contamination.

My son is only 2 and was going about every 4-5 days (for a year and a half) and/or in cycles like you mentioned, but he was very constipated...just wouldn't go for days and then all of a sudden have 3-5 very large BM's in one day, then the cycle would start agian. His GI dr. had us start him on miralax twice a day and it has done wonders. He's still not "normal" but much improved, probably going every 2 days and it varies between very runny to soft, with an occasional "normal" poop. (We get so darned excited when we see one of these....it's all our family talks about the rest of the day! :lol: ) I'm not sure if it works for adults, but I would highly recommend it based on our experiences.

Poop is always a reasonable topic here. :)

Are you sure you've got all gluten out of your diet? It sounds like a food reaction to me. All the places gluten can hide take a while to find. Soy sauce and salad dressings are two places I never suspected at first. Also, guarding against cross contamination can't be emphasized enough. Same with personal care products such as haircare products, soaps, cosmetics, lotions, etc.

Many, if not most, people with gluten issues also have issues with dairy at first. The intestinal villi, which are damaged as part of the celiac disease process, also make the enzymes that digest dairy at the very tips of the villi. So until your body is healed many people have a dairy intolerance as well.

Since you're relatively recently diagnosed, you may also be having other food intolerances, which may or may not go away. I had almost as many problems with soy as I did with gluten for the first few months I was gluten-free.

The first thing I would do is to look for the hidden gluten.

Nancy

It's also possible that you're not getting enough fiber.

Hey thanks for the responses. I am getting enough fiber. At first I was thinking that maybe I wasn't drinking enough water with the amount of fiber I eat, so I started drinking more water. I've already checked my lotion, soap, makeup etc. I am so careful about cc that I feel like I have OCD lol. I didn't have a problem having a BM before being gluten free. It alternated between D and soft poop that broke apart like crumbs when I flushed. It seems that over the three months it's been getting worse. I don't know. Maybe my body is just adjusting.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Do you mean something like a protein powder you could mix up?  A lot of them in the US seem to be gluten free.  Maybe just go to your local store and read all the labels?
    • Yeah I ended up allergic to corn, olives, sesame, whey, and peanuts and intolerant to dairy, soy, yeast, enzyme issues with breaking down meats, and egg yolks, along with extreme bloat with any kind of carbs/sugars in moderate amounts. And very adverse reactions to certain artificial sweeteners. So your not alone in all the other issues cropping up, it happens as our bodies adjust.  I eat a bunch of stir frys with veggies, egg whites, plenty of  avocados, and toasted and raw forms of almonds, coconut, cashews, walnuts, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sancha inchi seeds, chia seeds, and sunflower seeds in all forms including making them into butters, spreads, and incorporating them into sauces.   Most meals are forms of soups, omelettes, and stir frys. I do the seeds and nuts on rotation same with my veggies and snack on fruits in small amounts along with some homemade baked goods I make for markets. I do suggest a rotation of foods, my dietician said I need to rotate my foods to prevent more issues, making sure I am off one one for at least 7-14 days at a time completely. I find changing up the spices and rotating my cuisine base works well. I also make puddings, and protein shakes along with nut/seed milks, and different bases and extract flavorings to get my random cravings Taken care of. Guess take what you can from this and and see how it can help you,    As to the tinging, I ended up with both B vitamin and magnesium deficiency issues, the magnesium one caused a fire like tingling in my arms, legs and back, along with muscle pain. Ended up on a doctors best powder form of it so I can dose it out right, and found epsom salt bathes helped.  
    • Hi, I've gained so much knowledge on this forum over the past few months, which I am so thankful for. I can see how much hell people are going through with this disease and it's so lovely to see how much support and advice people give to others on here. I'd like a little bit of reassurance and advice myself from anyone that can help. I've been gluten free for six months. Two weeks after going gluten free I realised I also had a problem with corn so cut out processed food. Over the following weeks and months I continually had problems with food; fruit, dairy, a lot of vegetables, nuts, soya....it's basically dwindled down to just eating potatoes (not white potatoes), cucumber, lettuce, small amounts of red onion, spring onion, sprouts and beetroot. There may be more things I could be okay with but to be honest I'm too scared to try.  Is this all normal? Am I an extreme case? I've been taking some digestive enzymes and probiotics for about six weeks, my acid reflux has dramatically decreased but I always have a lot of loud noises going on in my guts, I'm guessing this is the probiotics working.  I've lost nearly 3st in weight since this started - which I'm not complaining about as I was overweight due to thyroid problems. I've had loads of blood tests done recently, all organs are working 'great' according to my doctor, the only thing they've picked up on is ketones, I seem to be having a glucose problem, which might explain my exhaustion and weight loss. I also have permanent numbness and sometimes tingling in one of my legs and sometimes hands and one shoulder, I thought it could have vitamin B12 deficiency but that's okay according to blood tests. I would be greatful for any replies. Thanks for reading.
    • Hi everyone, I am doing job in restaurant at evening 5 to 12 during working hours no time to do a dinner. I'm thinking to make a shake but don't know the gluten free vitamin or supplement brand which one is good for me and easily available in Berlin Germany to make me fit cause last one week i feel weak. I'm 28 year old. Sincerely
    • Hey there just wanted to warn anyone that has other allergies- these crackers may not be a good choice! I'm mildly sensitive to MSG- I only react if there's a giant amount like in Chinese food or Ramen noodles, etc.  I literally have a to eat TONS of a the offending food before reacting.  Anyway, I was excited to try these Trader Joes pumpkin crackers, kept hearing about them on the radio .... and they're gluten free!  (I have Hashi's).  I ate about 3/4 of the box last night. Woke up this morning with a red itchy face and nasal congestion, headache, anxiety. Hallmark symptoms for me of high MSG intake. (It does say yeast extract on the side but it's pretty far down the list). So if you're sensitive.... stay away! Apparently these particular crackers are loaded with it. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    EllianaEthan