36 replies to this topic

#1 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

Today I didn't have much to do so I thought of a few brand names and shot out e-mails for gluten-free products. I'll list the companies I contacted below. I already got one reply, from Tootsie (makers of Tootsie products, charm products, cambridge brands, and cella confections). They sent me their list in word document format....if anyone wants their list or any others I get, ask me and I'll forward the e-mail......or post the list here.....

Minute Maid
Kraft
Yoplait (subdivision of Kraft, so that e-mail didn't matter)
Hershey's
Nestle
Mars (milky ways, M&Ms, etc.)
Tootsie Roll Industries
Hormel
Boar's Head
Heinz
Duncan Hines (part of Pinnacle Foods Corporation, a company that also makes products such as Aunt Jemima syrup (gluten-free).
Campbells
General Mills
Dannon
Pinnacle Foods Corporation

I plan on e-mailing some ice cream companies later. I was really bored so I did this, but if these lists can help anyone, I'd be happy to forward or post them. The word document list from Tootsie is in a weird format, so I'll have to make it work in the post form here, but I'll post it later when I have time. I also got a reply from Hormel.......their list is in their FAQs at:

http://www.hormel.co...aq.asp?id=37072

-celiac3270

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:57 PM

You have been a busy bee!!!!

Any info you obtain would be greatly appreciated by your Canadian friend in the Great White North!!!!

Have a great day, celiac3270!

p.s. I am still trying to get some info on what meats are gluten-free here in Canada..... other than Maple Lodge Farms, I am having a difficult time getting info.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

The tootsie gluten-free list....remember all products are subject to ingredient change:

Thank you for contacting us.  We are delighted to be able to inform you that,
at this time, to the very best of our knowledge, all of our confections are
gluten free.  We do not use wheat, barley, rye, oats, triticale, spelt or any
of their components and that includes our dusting on our conveyor belts.  We
do use corn and soy products in the manufacturing of our products.  We are
including a listing of the products we make for your information.

Product List

TOOTSIE ROLL INDUSTRIES, INC.

Tootsie Rolls
Tootsie Pops
Flavor Roll Twisties
Tootsie Peppermint Pops
Frooties
Caramel Apple Pops
Dots
Fruit Smoothie Pops
Tropical Dots
Hot Chocolate Pops
Crows
Child’s Play

CHARMS COMPANY

Blow Pops
Charms Squares
Super Blow Pops
Charms Sour Balls
Charms Pops
Family Fun
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Da Pops
Pops Galore
Fluffy Stuff  Cotton Candy
Andes Mints
Sugar Daddy Pops
Sugar Babies

CELLA'S CONFECTIONS

Cella's Milk Chocolate Covered Cherries
Cella's Dark Chocolate Covered Cherries

CAMBRIDGE BRANDS, INC.

Junior Mints    
Charleston Chew
Junior Caramels   

I'm e-mailing the ice cream people

#4 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

celiac3270,

Speaking of ice cream... my fiance' works for Bruster's (lucky me!) and got an e-mail from a woman inquiring about the gluten-free status last week. That was pretty cool, actually! But, the bad news is that there is too high a risk for cross-contamination for it to be considered gluten-free. At least that's what he told me. I could imagine that any place that you visit that scoops ice cream onto cones will inevitiably get cone fragments, etc into the bucket that they're scooping from. I believe their ice-cream itself is gluten-free, but the environment is too risky.

Gretchen

#5 gailmlavin

gailmlavin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

Hi - This is my first reply - just joined and am at the start of my huge learning curve! I would just LOVE to receive the lists you're getting! I'm trying to combine the need to be gluten-free with Atkins as much as I can, so am trying to stay away from such goodies as Tootsie Rolls - one of my favorites!!!

I'm really glad I found this forum - and hope I'll someday be able to be as helpful as you all seem to be!

Gail

#6 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:20 PM

Hi Gail! Welcome to the forum..... you will find a great bunch of really supportive fellow celiacs here.....

Along with the gluten-free list of products on this forum (which is a great list), there is also another forum at www.delphiforums.com. On the left, click on "Health and Wellness" and then the second forum down is the Celiac forum.... In there is a great gluten free list also.....

Just post away when you need to, there are a great bunch of people here who are always willing to help out.....

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#7 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:28 PM

Welcome Gail! Here's a quick-start guide that might be of some help! There are many helpful posts here... I know there might be a lot and seem overwhelming, but you can always do a search for certain products (like bar-b-q sauce or candy) when you have an opportunity.

Also, Feel free to ask whatever questions you might have and we'll be happy to help you out!

http://www.celiac.co...html?p_catid=19

http://www.gluten.ne...Start-Mar04.pdf

Gretchen

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:27 AM

I can tell you that you won't get a list from Kraft. They'll just tell you to read the ingredients because they don't hide gluten. In fact, most of the companies you wrote to have the same policy.

Oh, and like Hormel, Heinz's list is on their web site.

richard

#9 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:56 AM

I was afraid of getting that reaction from Kraft...........I explained in my e-mail that I was aware of that policy............too bad. As for Heinz and Hormel, I didn't bother to check the FAQs; I just had one e-mail that I copied into every e-mail form and sent off -- it was faster that way. Thanks for the info., though

#10 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

A few FAQs on Ben and Jerrys:

Gluten-free Flavors
  Question
  Do you have a list of your gluten-free flavors?
  Answer
  We do not have a list of gluten-free flavors. Sorry! The ingredients that we use change quite often. We do not want to claim a flavor is gluten-free, then have that list become outdated and the recipients not aware of the latest changes.

Ben and Jerry’s has a very proactive approach to addressing the concerns of gluten-restricted and other food allergic individuals. We work closely with all of our ingredient suppliers, including packaging, to verify all ingredient components. This includes those ingredients in natural flavors, colors and spices that would be a concern to persons with sensitivity to gluten. We ensure that this information is then included on our product’s ingredient label.

If our product contains gluten, its presence would be indicated on the label by the words “wheat flour” or “flour.” Should any of our products contain those grains (wheat, flour, barley, oats, rye, etc.) the label would reference them. We understand that there are tricky ways that gluten can be missed. We assure you that we have researched our ingredients carefully, and we know exactly what is going into our ice cream.

Ben and Jerry’s is a member of the Food Allergy Network and the Food Allergy Resource and Research Program. Upon the advice of these consumer and industry groups we do not provide a list of flavors that do not contain gluten. There is always a concern with any list that the list would be replicated and the end recipients would not receive updates that would be required with a formulation change. The safe approach recommended by these organizations is to read the label each time a purchase is made. We are very sorry that we can not provide you with a list. Recognizing that reading food labels can be time-consuming and tedious, we wish to encourage you in your daily effort to read all food labels, as it is the best way for us to insure that you receive the information you need to make an informed and confident choice.

Food allergies & avoiding cross-contamination at scoop shops
  Question
  I love visiting your shops. However, I have a food allergy and would like to make sure that cross-contamination doesn't occur from scooping the different flavors. How can I do that?
  Answer
  We'd love for you to enjoy a visit and have taken steps to make it happen. First, mention your allergy to the server and ask for assistance in selecting a flavor that meets your requirements. Second, review with the server the printed ingredient information about each flavor that interests you and select a flavor that meets your needs. Third, determine how you will have it served and any other ingredients you might want to add based on this same process. Fourth, confirm that the recipe version number that you are looking at on the printed ingredient list matches the number printed on the side of the bulk container of ice cream. (The recipe version number is the number after the (V#), which follows the flavor name on the recipe ingredient listing.) Fifth, verify that the server cleans the scoop at the sink with hot water and soap and observe the server scooping the product. Then Enjoy!

It's important to remember that while our empoyees have been trained for this situation, they may be out of practice, as most allergic consumers just choose to avoid scoop shops. So if we are a bit rusty, please be patient and we will get it right. Thanks and enjoy!

Are scoop shop sauces gluten-free?
  Question
  My child has sensitivity to gluten and cannot tolerate the least amount of products that contain wheat, oats, rye, or barley. She is crazy about butterscotch. Can you tell me if the butterscotch and hot fudge sauces that are served in your scoop shops are free of gluten?
  Answer
  We are happy to say that both the hot fudge sauce and butterscotch sauces that our scoop shops serve are entirely gluten-free.

So, this is B&J's. I contacted Haagen Dazs, Edys (ice cream), and Whiterose (a company that provides a large amount and variety of food to NY.....i don't know about the rest of the country)........so I'll tell you when I hear from them.

-celiac3270

#11 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:39 AM

I got Nestle's list...it's annoying that all the candy lists that I don't really care about come before the others.......... :) ......anyway, notice the way Nestle puts it: attached is the allergen information you requested......ALLERGEN! It's not an allergy! :rolleyes: Anyway:

August 24, 2004

Dear Nestlé Consumer,

Thank you for contacting Nestlé.  We welcome questions and comments from our
consumers.

Attached is the allergen information you requested - we hope you find it
helpful.

We appreciate your interest in our products and hope you'll visit our
website often for latest information on
Nestlé products and promotions.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Meininger
Consumer Response Representative

Ref: N9706838

Nestlé Confections & Snacks Gluten Free Products

This information includes products, which, to the best of our knowledge, do
not contain wheat, rye, or
barley/malt ingredients.  The list may not be complete subsequent to the
date of issue due to formula
changes and new product information.  Please read each product ingredient
statement for the most current
information.

Candy Bars-Baby Ruth; Butterfinger; Chunky; Nestlé Milk Chocolate; Oh Henry!

Candy Pieces-Nestlé Turtles; Sno-Caps; Butterfinger BB's; Goobers;
Raisinets; Nestlé Treasures

Other Chocolate Products-WonderBall

Sugar Candy-SweeTARTS; SPREE; Nips

Wonka Candy-Bottlecaps; Fun Dip (Lik-M-Aid); Gobstopper; Laffy Taffy; Mix
Ups; Nerds; Shock Tarts;
Tart N Tiny; Runts; Tangy Taffy

Seasonal Candy/Easter-Milk Chocolate NestEggs; Caramel NestEggs; Peanut
Butter NestEggs;
Butterfinger NestEggs; Baby Ruth Crème Egg

Seasonal Candies/Christmas-Milk Chocolate Jingles; Baby Ruth Winter Wobbler;
Spree and
SweeTARTS Candy Canes; Butterfinger in Milk Chocolate Jingles

Seasonal Candies/Valentine's-Milk Chocolate Hearts; Butterfinger in Milk
Chocolate Hearts; Butterfinger
in Milk Chocolate Solid Tigger; SweeTARTS Lollipop

#12 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:38 AM

I got another reply, this one from Dannon. I think it's funny that they mention celiac.com. Anyway, it's pretty much just the plain ones, though for any dieting celiacs, the lowfat and nonfat are gluten-free.......often, lowfat and nonfat products contain gluten, so that's good news.......although I'm trying to gain weight.

August 24, 2004
Thank you for contacting The Dannon Company, Inc. We sincerely appreciate
your
interest in Dannon yogurt products and gluten.

Dannon yogurt products are characterized as either gluten safe or not gluten
safe. Our
Dannon Plain Lowfat, Plain Nonfat and Plain Natural are all gluten safe.
All other
Dannon yogurts cannot be designated as gluten safe because the natural
flavor systems
used might have ingredients added to stabilize the flavor. The stabilizing
ingredients may
be derived from gluten sources.

For our valued consumers that may have allergenic risks associated with
gluten, our
products are not specifically formulated to contain gluten but we cannot
guarantee that
the alcohol portion of the natural flavor system is always derived from corn
and not from
wheat, oats, rye and barley.

We hope this information is helpful to you. As an additional resource, you
may wish to
visit the website: www.celiac.com. Once again, thank you for contacting
Dannon.

Sincerely,

Lisa Moore
Consumer Service Representative
Ref#:624459

#13 crc0622

crc0622

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:46 AM

Two comments:

Product formulations are different in other countries, so be careful if you are not in the US. (Karen, I know you are aware of this from delphi but thought I'd mention it for others.)

Publix brand sherbets and yogurts are gluten-free - confirmed recently.

:)

#14 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:15 PM

Good point, crc0622.

I have another list :) ......this one from Haagen-Dazs

Thank you for your email requesting nutritional information on H�agen-Dazs�
products. In an
increasingly health-conscious society, we are always happy to answer your
questions about our
products.

As a general rule, the gluten in any of our ice cream, frozen yogurt or
novelty products is present
only in added bakery products such as cookies or shortcake. In most cases
the ice cream itself
contains no gluten. Gluten is never hidden under the term "natural
flavors".

We have sent a current flavor list, upon which any flavor that contains
gluten is so designated
with the letter "G". We hope that this information will be helpful to you.
Please feel free to call
our toll-free number should you need any further information. Our
representatives will be happy
to help you.

We value our consumers and hope you will continue to enjoy our products.
Please watch for our
follow-up response to arrive shortly, along with a flavor list and recipes.

Sincerely,

Angela Brem
Consumer Response Representative

Ref # N1591665
=====================================================
For money saving coupons join our H�agen-Dazs� Rewards at
http://www.haagen-dazs.com

#15 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

celiac3270, It sounds like you have learned that you are not lactose intolerant. If you don't know for sure, it would seem better to avoid ice cream altogether, especially since you are still having problems. I really shouldn't be giving advice about milk products since I had company last week and made them a traditional family treat, strawberry shortcake (biscuit from regular flour) and topped with whipping cream, 1 pt. between 6 people. I ate my share and after being gluten free for just 3 weeks had several other glaring departures from my diet. The first days of this week my burning abdomen was much worse and also my arthritis. Today I am feeling a bit better. At least I learned that I do feel some better in general when I am on the diet. Of course, I still have not been on very long. Will see my doctor on Monday. He wants to monitor my progress. Too bad I slipped. He also wants to be sure I don't lose too much weight. I gained a little with the company, but have already lost that. Have trouble getting enough calories to replace the bread and pasta stuff I was eating. I really am not into baking alot so haven't bought any gluten-free baking ingredients. I am on the strict SCD diet set forth in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". This is not as hard for me as it would be for you since I really don't need to gain weight, just try to hold steady. Also I have been in the habit of eating mostly meat and vegetables, a few fruits for some time except for bread and desserts at Ladies' Guild. I did manage not to eat cake at Guild this time. Back to baking ingredients, the gluten-free nutflours, etc. seem very expensive. I think you mentioned this, too, awhile back. If you run into any good lists for this sort of thing I'd be interested. Ruth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: