Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sick Already...

7 posts in this topic

Yesterday was my first day to go back on gluten so that I can have my blood test. I am sooooo sick today. I have had diarrhea all day, and my head feels like it is out in outer space somewhere (anyone else get that?), I am also almost dizzy at times. Since I have been gluten-free for 2 months, but with 4 or 5 mistakes how long would you all say I need to stay on gluten before the test is done? I was thinking at least a month (I have to get my insurance straight anyway). I'm going to have to make sure I eat all my favorites that I can't have otherwise until my test...guess that is the bright side...lol. Anyway, thanks for being here all!

Deanna

Ads by Google:

Ugg...it's also good that you are unhappy to be back on the gluten diet. :D Now when you go back you won't miss those foods anymore. I can't imagine going back on gluten, especially at this point -- just to eat that stuff would require great willpower for me. Good luck.

Deanna,

My heart goes out to you... I know it must be hard. I found an old post on the internet about this subject and thought I'd post it.

Good luck and I hope you get your answer soon! When is your endo? Do you have an appointment yet?

Gretchen

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/exp/exp98-1.html

Subject: how long must gluten challenge last?

It is often necessary to prescribe how much gluten to eat. I Ask patients to eat increasing amounts of gluten, starting from a cracker building up to 4 slices of whole bread a day and to keep taking that so long as they do not get too ill, but should get definite symptoms. When i left it up to the patient, it seems they ate less gluten and more sporadically. It is sometimes hard to wait to persuade the patient to wait long enough for damage to occur. While the standard 4 week challenge will pick up most it will not pick up all patients. In those patients who remain asymptomatic I continue to wait and monitor the antibodies as well as the development of symptoms and then biopsy. I also find it useful to review the original biopsy material and other primary information on which the original diagnosis was based. Sampling problems and interpretation are also issues.

There a few people I will not challenge, People who are so nutritionally deplete that might not tolerate the challenge, people who give a history of anaphylactic response that could be life threatening and possibly those with a history of severe neurologic problems.

The most common figure I hear is three months for a challenge. But you might end up too sick to go even a month. If that happens, that would seem to answer the question without blood tests.

richard

Well, like I have said in another post, my problem is that for my ex husband to allow my son to be tested I have to have a positive test myself. He won't go off of what I think, and a doctor may "expect".

Gretchen, I am not even having an endo. I am only at the blood test, because I have pretty much self diagnosed myself. This was after my first cousin found out about her condition and it sounded so much like me that I began researching. We will see if the blood test is enough for my ex, if it is then I won't even have the endo. I know I have this disease, now it is just proving it, ya know?

Thanks for your responses!

Deanna

Deanna,

I don't know much about this test called the rectal challenge... but, might be worth asking your doctor. I have some info on a previous post about it (linked below) Apparently you don't need to be ingesting gluten for an accurate test.

Yes... I can understand the challenges in the need for a diagnosis... I can see why in your case, you'd want it.

Gretchen

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...t=0entry15182

Your exhusband sounds like a real caring, sensitive kind of guy - NOT. :angry:

Any chance you could threaten taking some kind of legal action? Some variation of withholding medical care might work . . . just a thought. No way I would eat gluten again for a challenge - I feel too good, am building muscle, gaining weight. Luckily (?) I am off the charts positive in all the tests and biopsy.

Is this to "prove" to your exhusband that he needs a restricted diet? Do you have him gluten-free when he's with you and he feels better? If he's getting sick every time he goes to see dad, maybe that will convince him.

My hubby's ex has whatever medical care she finds necessary for his daughter - I would not imagine trying to intervene in that. She's with her every day and knows what is best.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• No I'm in the UK, from what I've been told that's a good thing for gluten labeling and standards compliance. What you and everyone else on here says makes me sense than what the doctors are saying (a confused message at best is what they're giving me, each one with a slightly different version of it). My referral letter is in the post so on theory appointment may not be that far away. I have a load of my favourite Quorn stuff (non-gluten-free version) in the freezer so perhaps using that up may be a good way to proceed for now. I'm out at the moment and torn whether to try chips from a café, in the strict gluten-free future would probably be a no-no but in current situation probably not so bad...
    • I also only really eat one meal a day and always after I get home. I never really feel hungrey. I call it 'Pavlov's dog in reverse'.  I think it comes from so many years of food making me sick. I have gotten to the point where I now at least can eat a sandwhich and some fruit during the day but it wasn't a quick process. When folks get like that it is very important to make sure that one meal has a good amount of both calories and nutrtion.  If your diet is how you describe you are starving yourself.  You need to get yourself used to eating again.  What helped me was carrying a baggie with some nuts and dry fruit with maybe even a handful of gluten free pretzels and always some chocolate baking chips. I just ate couple pieces when I thought of it throughout the day. A little bit of cheese and a couple safe crackers, a piece of fruit or a small tin or individual serving snack pack are also good. You need to get some nutrition during the day so you can feel up to cooking a simple full meal  for dinner. I hope your feeling better soon.
    • Ok, I can't seem to find my first lot of blood tests that were done for Celiac screening, they did include TTG I remember that much, and I am getting another copy of it but another test did come in today.  I don't know how different tests are done around the world and I don't get all the medical jargon but this is what it states, ******************************************************************************* HLA DR/DQ Genotyping for Coeliac Disease, Specimen type : EDTA blood Method : Detection of sequence-specific oligonucleotides (Gen-Probe). HLA-DR - 1, 13          DRB1 - 01, 13 HLA-DQ - 5,6        HLA-DQA1 - 5,6      HLA-DB1 - 05, 06 Interpretation : No genotype susceptibility for coeliac disease.  The DQ2 and DQ8 antigens associated with increased risk of coeliac disease were not identified in this patient.  In the absence of these antigens, coeliac disease is extremely unlikely.   *******************************************************************************   I have read the horror stories of blood tests and scope biopsies not be done right or flawed but here is what I do know as of now, At the moment the most non invasive test I can have done say negative.  I have double scopes (endoscopy and colonoscopy) booked for the 12th of October with results from biopsies expected a week or two after. Chances are they will show, a) signs of coeliac disease (even if the odds are low it can still happen), b) show signs of something else entirely and we will be busy dealing with the ramifications of that or c) it will show no signs of coeliac but I will still be suffering from gluten sensitivity (which is harder/impossible to measure clinically). My GP has told me that stress and anxiety can be a cause of all the symptoms I have been experiencing and suggests if the scopes show nothing that I may benefit from something to treat anxiety, i.e. antidepressants.  Not in a, "Oh we don't know what it is so have these," kind of way, he agrees with the thought that the scopes could indeed show coeliac, something else or even be negative. I did tell him that I could have a sensitivity and that even without benefit of clinical results, some people have gone on a gluten elimination diet for a period of time to see if they get any relief.  My question is this, if the scopes come up negative and I try eliminating gluten, how long would it be before I saw any results or improvements?  I have read enough here and elsewhere to know that everybody is different, some see results within days, some see results longer but are there any guidelines for how long a test like this should be undertaken for?  I have heard everything thing from two weeks to two months.  All of this is entirely moot at this point but I know that even if the results said clear, there would always be a little part of me that wonders if it could be a sensitivity that is the problem.  Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, and a thank you to all those who have taken the time to respond and offer advice and encouragement so far.        
    • We don't delete accounts but can delete any personal information and change your screen name if you would like. Just send me a personal message with three possible screen names. For the record you can edit most things in your account area with the exception of your screen name.
    • Thanks I never heard of that dye before, I guess I have to find more natural meat thanks for the suggestion. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Misalina