15 replies to this topic

#1 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

did anyone else think this person might have celiac disease?

Here is the story from the AP:

Flatulence Forces Plane to Land

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- An American Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing Monday morning after a passenger lit a match to disguise the scent of flatulence, authorities said.

The Dallas-bound flight was diverted to Nashville after several passengers reported smelling burning sulfur from the matches, said Lynne Lowrance, spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority. All 99 passengers and five crew members were taken off and screened while the plane was searched and luggage was screened.

The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal a "body odor,"
Lowrance said. She had an unspecified medical condition, authorities said.

"It's humorous in a way but you feel sorry for the individual, as well," she said. "It's unusual that someone would go to those measures to cover it up."

The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane. The woman, who was not identified, was not charged in the incident.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:00 AM

:lol: :ph34r:

I didn't see this--but I can relate sometimes.

Yep, the "unspecified medical condition" could be Celiac!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

ya know, that was the first thing I thought of! poor thing, how freakin embarrasing!

#4 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

Yep, that's exactly what I thought too.
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

Yep the thought also crossed my mind too!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

She needed those underwear with charcoal in the bottom!! :D

I hadn't read it, but yeah, even my hubby gets gas from gluten! Of course, maybe she ate too many beans ...
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#7 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

I heard the story on MSNBC during the "Imus in the Morning" broadcast this morning. That was exactly what I thought about. I'm never surprised when I think of something and see it on this board later! Shows how in tune we are with what goes on in the world.

Tom

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

We all have to be respectful........it could be one of us. :rolleyes: But, I don't expect anyone to step forward.

I could tell some stories.......can't we all. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#9 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

I feel so sorry for that woman. How embarrassing. I'm sure she was humiliated . . . .

That was really sad. I hope she gets tested for Celiac.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

Or Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, microscopic colitis, parasites, infections...
the list goes on. poor thing.

#11 Marlene

Marlene

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

That was the first thing I thought of too. That poor lady. Imagine not being able to complete your flight because of gas??!! I don't know why they wouldn't let her back on. I saw a message board somewhere else on the net dealing with this specific problem. I didn't have time to get registered and put in my 2 cents worth but I betcha a lot of those people have Celiac. They sound so desperate -- some of them won't leave the house because of gas. I can relate -- before I went gluten free I had one day that was really bad and I called in sick to work :( It was so depressing.

Marlene

#12 zansu

zansu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

I don't know why they wouldn't let her back on.

because she carried on (smuggled) a forbidden item (matches) and then lit them (also forbidden).

BTW, I've been on flights with a gassy person.... Wow :blink: that's a confined space, you can't move away, and the air circulation isn't good.

#13 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

Yep I saw it and thought of it too! How embarassing!

My cousin has really bad gas problems from gastric bypass surgery, I guess its an uncommon side effect sometimes.

I use to work in a pharmacy laboratory in a booth with a strong hepa filter. It was so powerful that you would never smell your own fart :D The guys I use to work with loved it! But you could definitely still hear it :lol:

She needed those underwear with charcoal in the bottom!! :D

I hadn't read it, but yeah, even my hubby gets gas from gluten! Of course, maybe she ate too many beans ...

Carla my dh gets that too now! He cant understand why pre-gluten free it never bothered him and now since we live gluten free as a household his system cant handle it.

#14 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

About six months before I found out about gluten, I had a chance to go to Europe all expenses paid. I had to turn it down because at that point I couldn't even go to Walmart without having problems. It was unfathomable to even imagine trying to get through a 14-hour flight.

The good news, for me, is that my husband's mom was born and raised in Germany. Her brother and his family still live there. So my MIL goes over there every couple years and we can go when we want. All we have to pay for is airfare.

I was so upset that I couldn't go on this expense-paid trip, but not as upset as I would have been if it would have been my only chance.

It makes me hope that this poor person wasn't on their way to something important like a wedding, birth, funeral or some other important event. Which is the ONLY thing I would have even attempted to get to at that point.

:(

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#15 kimono_lady

kimono_lady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

Yep, that was my reaction as well.

Having excessive gas is one of the symptoms that drove me to get diagnosed. I hated being in the same room with friends and family... it was terrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: