8 replies to this topic

#1 Alexolua

Alexolua

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

I know there are two threads currently about blood work, but I wasn't sure how to post this in one of those, without stealing the creator's thunder so to speak.. so starting yet another one, sorry!

I had these taken last Fall, seeing the doctor again, and just want to sound intelligent when I point out to him how this could mean celiac disease (or gluten intolerance, lol) to him.

Gliadin Ab (IgG) = 64
Gliadin Ab (IgA) = 34
Transglutaminase Ab (IgA) = 5

Under 20, Neg. Over 20, weak positive. Over 30, positive.

Reticulin Ab (IgA) = Negative

So, if I understand this right. The IgG is raised in people with celiac disease, but also other diseases. The IgA, my test results say can be with celiac disease or other diseases too, but I read on the boards that IgA is better at showing celiac disease than IgG?

And the other two, obviously appear to be negative according to the lab results. Do those other two have more to do with a damaged small intestines than the first? Just a guess..

But when my doctor rails on about me not having to be gluten-free, I can say pretty positively to him, if I'm not mistaken that no matter what he thinks, having Gliadin Anti-Bodies showing up as strong positives mean I am gluten intolerant and would be dumb to go back to eating it?

Thanks! And yes, I know getting another doctor could be good to do.. but so far, he seems willing to learn, and better for his patients if I can educate him somehow. Don't think my insurance would allow a switch anyway, LOL.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:58 PM

I know there are two threads currently about blood work, but I wasn't sure how to post this in one of those, without stealing the creator's thunder so to speak.. so starting yet another one, sorry!

Alexolua,

I don't know if we could ever have enough of these questions, to be honest with you.

But when my doctor rails on about me not having to be gluten-free, I can say pretty positively to him, if I'm not mistaken that no matter what he thinks, having Gliadin Anti-Bodies showing up as strong positives mean I am gluten intolerant and would be dumb to go back to eating it?

That's how I see it too!

Gretchen

#3 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:51 PM

That's how I see it too!

Okay, so I am right in assuming those mean I'm gluten intolerant, no matter what he thinks? =)

And hey.. looking at your tag, you were negative on the last two, too? Well Borderline for that other one.. with a certain number, looks like my lab didn't do numbers for that one.

#4 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:16 AM

Alexolua,

I have read that encouraging a patient to go gluten-free before diagnois is discouraged because of the difficulty of receiving a diagnosis later in life. I personally consider an auto-immune response to gluten as intolerance... irregardless of what condition might be causing it. A year after my Igg was elevated and I didn't go gluten-free, my levels just increased.... real good that did. <_<

I have read about the destructive nature of gluten in the bloodstream and knowing I have a problem, don't want to risk the results of non-treatment.

Okay, so I am right in assuming those mean I'm gluten intolerant, no matter what he thinks? =)

I'd say "yes" to that. ... you wouldn't be the first one to disagree with a doctor

Gretchen

#5 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the reply again. =)

you wouldn't be the first one to disagree with a doctor

I know that! Pretty sure a good amount of us here have disagreed with doctors before, LOL.

#6 Mydnyt

Mydnyt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:55 AM

So just for another question on blood work...
Seems your blood tests are a little more detailed than mine was.
It tested for anti-IgA, which when I went searching on the net had similar results to that stated below - would this be the transglutaminase Ab???
I had a reading off the scale at 190, but inconclusive/negative biopsy.
Although keeping to the diet pretty well, and have a new, amazingly supportive partner, I am still trying to get a handle on all this and what everything means.
What are the other tests for? still gluten, or something else?

Gliadin Ab (IgG) = 64
Gliadin Ab (IgA) = 34
Transglutaminase Ab (IgA) = 5

Under 20, Neg. Over 20, weak positive. Over 30, positive.

Reticulin Ab (IgA) = Negative

Cheers, Peta

#7 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:11 AM

have a new, amazingly supportive partner

Peta,

I know how important that is... that's wonderful.

Was it the Iga that you tested in that was 190 or another test?

There are many different blood tests that they use in the celiac profile. Some have less/more specificity & sensitivity than the others, but pretty much if you tested positive on any, it's an indication that your body is having a response to gluten (protein found in wheat, barley, rye, oats). Some of the tests, like the Ttg are specific to intestinal damage... which will most likely be negative in someone who's gluten intolerance hasn't caused intestinal damage yet. Celiac is diagnosed when that damage appears. Many go gluten-free before that happens, though.

Gretchen

#8 Mydnyt

Mydnyt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for that Gretchen

Yes, he's been great!! Putting up with the "I can't eat that", and the mood that followed a caterers erm... mistake!?

Yep. Has got me a little confused though. I'm not quite sure what it was testing. All it had on the result sheet was anti-IgA - 190. When I got home I did a search on the web, and found something that said over 30 was high indication of positive for celiac disease. Seems over there you're testing is more detailed?!
Glad my doc has a view of avoiding problems, and suggested gluten-free for 6 wks. The GI said don't do it unless definite celiac disease.

As for waiting till you get to the point where you've got intestinal damage if you can avoid it... you gotta be kidding me. not if you know how to avoid it

Peta

#9 Racheleona

Racheleona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:21 AM

wow, reading others blood results that have been posted on here, makes me think do I really have celiac disease? My results were IgG 20, IgA negative, and Ttg negative. My doctor considered that number of 20 to be enough for me to be gluten intolerant...now I'm questioning. I guess it is better to trial it with the diet and go by how I feel!

Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: