This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Blood Tests This Morn It Seems To Be Urgent

Electra

Electra Enthusiast

I'm headed to the dr's for more blood tests this morn. They want me there bright and early so they can get my blood and have it send off for analysis!! They haven't gotten my Celiac Panel yet (even though I thought they had it yesterday). The tests they got results for yesterday were the normal routine blood tests they do on just about everyone who is having any medical issues.

I'm hoping the Celiac Panel comes in today because if I have Celiac that would definitely explain the B12 deficiancy and I need to go Glutan Free, but can't until all these tests are out of the way UG!!

Wish me luck!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Electra Enthusiast

Ok they did a test she described as a frozen sample or a freezing blood test. I'm not exactly what it was for and they didn't have my other results handy so I have to wait a day or two for copies and I still haven't heard anything on the Celiac Panel, so it's a waiting game still lol!! Hopefully I'll get some answers soon!!

Sophiekins Rookie

I suspect they've already gotten your celiac panel. . .and that they just can't believe the results. Which is what happened to me. . .good luck!

Electra Enthusiast

I'm not sure about that, because my dr. is with me on this one. He actually believes that this may be the answer we have been searching for. I know the Celiac Panel came from another lab then the normal blood levels so that does take longer, so I highly doubt they have come back yet. If they have come back then I doubt they suspect I have it because my dr. would definitely have contacted me. His main concern from the tests we got back so far were that I'm very deficiant in vitamin B12 and he's a little "shocked" by that I think. I told him that my B12 had been low before, but it's never come back this low. I'm just wondering what he's testing for and I wish I had a chance to talk with him directly. I'll probably call tomorrow morn to have him give me a call just so I don't drive myself crazy with "What If's" this weekend!!

How was your dr. shocked by your results? Were your levels so high that he just didn't believe it could happen? Let me know what happened (if you don't mind) so I have an idea of what I might have to look forward to lol!!

Sophiekins Rookie

I don't have a copy of the results with me at the moment (I'm in London, they're in Canada) but the way it was explained to me was that the normal person has an IgG ration of 1:2.5 (ie, one IgG for every two and a half white blood cells), a ratio of 35:1 (35 IgG for every white blood cell) is enough to diagnose celiac, and mine was 2500:1. Although I seemed to be nearly perfectly healthy (apart from nasty oozing skin sores, needing 14 hrs of sleep a day, a dry inexplicable cough, and passing out after exercise - but I still had a healthy weight and dead regulal menstrual cycle), apparently I was a few weeks away from hospital.

The doc who diagnosed me ate some serious humble pie to my mom (the week before, he'd told her it was all in my head and I was just "stressed". . .damn right I was stressed. . .I was VERY sick). . .he'd never seen numbers like this, neither had my GI or my dermatologist (who was confident enough to diagnose my skin as DH without a biopsy, although I have seriously atypical DH). Even the lab had never seen numbers like this. They thought they had screwed up on the test somewhere, so they ran it again. But they didn't tell us they needed to run the test again, just that they needed to run more tests to be sure.

When they ran the test again and the numbers came back the same, they decided that we needed to act NOW and it was too dangerous to try and wait for a chance to do a biopsy, so I went gluten-free that day - and also corn, oats, and soy free. I lost weight alarmingly quickly after my diagnosis, which is weird - I went from 150 to 118 in about eight weeks - and freaked my doctors for a while, but since everything else was working better, they decided to just wait it out, and sure enough after a few months, it settled down again and I started to gain what my docs called healthy weight. . .six years later I now cycle back and forth within about 5 lbs of my perfect weight, erring on the heavy side, as my docs panic if I start to lose weight. I'm also perfectly healthy, although they monitor my nutrient levels very closely - they do a complete screen (iron, B-vitamins, folate, glucose, thiamin, thyroid function, and basic IgA) every six months. I now only need about 7 hours of sleep a night, and I can exercise with abandon (it's great. . .I actually have energy! I can even run up a flight of stairs! :P )

Good luck

Archived