4 replies to this topic

#1 terri

terri

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:45 AM

Whenever I eat the Energyz pretzels I get horrible heartburn and gas. I also have been noticing it when I eat soybeans or other foods containing soy. Is it typical of a Celiac to show sensitivities to soy? The reaction is very similar to a gluten reaction only it is much shorter lived and no diarrhea is involved. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks! :unsure:
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:51 AM

I wouldn't say it's "typical" in that most people I knopw with celiac don't have a problem with soy. But it certainly does happen.

richard

#3 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:54 AM

Thanks Richard. I just can't seem to shake the flatulence and indigestion. I had my gallbladder ultrasound and it's fine so it must be digestive. I'm trying to figure out what could be doing it ...
Terri
Northern Virginia

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

Hey Terri: I found I was also intolerant to soy after I tried to substitute soy products for all the dairy products I can't have with my casein intolerance. (My Enterolab test showed antibodies to casein as well as gluten.) My 'soy symptoms' are more immediate, but less severe than my casein symptoms and both are less severe than gluten symptoms. With soy, I get immediate cramping pains which feel like menstrual cramps but I ended all that 7 years ago <_< . I also get bloating and gas which all passes within a couple of days, unlike dairy which also gives me constipation, sinus symptoms and reflux and lasts 4 days. My gluten symptoms are excuciating pain, bloating, gas, and steatorrhea, all of which last 5-7 days. After gluten and casein, soy is the next most difficult protein to digest and very likely to cause allergic and/or intolerance reactions.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Burdee, I had a much better day yesterday without the soy until I had a diet pepsi and bingo uncontrollable gas and indigestion again. So, I'm going to try Diet Rite which is sweetened with Splenda instead of aspertame and see if I get the same reaction. I'm bound and determined to get my body issues down to those of a regular joe! Thanks for your help.
Terri
Northern Virginia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: