12 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy71

Cindy71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:06 AM

Hi everyone! Does anyone know of a gluten-free pasta that actually TASTES like PASTA? I've tried "tinkyada" - which is ok, but I can't get past that "organic rice" smell or taste. YUCK!! I miss my real pasta. I'm italian, and that was my favorite thing to eat. Then I go and get celiac disease. So much for favorite stuff.
I tried it with sauce (used alot of sauce because of the rice taste) and tried melted Velveeta cheese last night. You couldn't taste the cheese! This is depressing.
Please let me know if there is any form of 'real tasting' gluten-free pasta out there, or is this the best it will get?
( <_< I wish they made a drug you could take before you eat so you could eat regular food again! Like the lactaid for dairy)!!! :(
Cindy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:21 AM

I like the corn pastas. They seem to taste better than most of the sticky rice pasta. I tried Mrs. Leepers corn the other day , it was wonderful!! De boles also makes a few corn ones. Try them, what do you have to loose ;)

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 GFdoc

GFdoc

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:52 AM

Try making your own (see Bette Hagman's book for recipe)...then freeze the extras. I like this better than tinkyada (although I'm getting used to that too)
Sara gluten-free since 9/03

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

you might try ancient harvest's quinoa/corn pasta. you may like it better.

(it's interesting, I used to make my own pasta (wheat based) too, but haven't really noticed a big difference with tinkyada's, texture wise. I wonder if it varies with the particular shape...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Mydnyt

Mydnyt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:06 AM

Interesting concept, and one I'm not sure of. Some information I got from a nutritionist on gluten-free diets when I first started suggested buckwheat is ok.
This kind of threw me, because I remember reading labels vigourously at the time, and I thought it had gluten ?!?! (will have to go back and check that one)
Anyone else had this suggestion?

#6 Cindy71

Cindy71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

I think I read something on this board that we couldn't have buck wheat. Hmmmmmmm, have to check that one.

#7 Cindy71

Cindy71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:24 AM

Has anyone ever tried potatoe pasta? I'm curious to hear how that tastes. Thank you! :D

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:43 AM

Cindy,
Buckwheat is absolutely fine........I thought that at first when I was shopping for gluten-free waffles. I came across one in the healthfood store that said Buckwheat Pancakes or something like that and on the box it said "GLUTEN-FREE" and "WHEAT-FREE". I thought, how can it be gluten-free when it's buckWHEAT, but it is. I just checked and on the safe ingredients list on this site, they have it:

http://www.celiac.co...-41104455449.30

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

Buckwheat is fine - assuming it's uncontaminated, of course. Buckwheat isn't even actually a grain - it's a fruit!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

Cindy, I think it's highly variable based on who is doing the tasting. Most people here love Tinkyada and swear it tastes exactly like regular pasta, but I agree with you that it has a funny taste and texture. That said, it's still the best pre-packaged gluten-free pasta I've found so far; I think the corn pasta is way off and the quinoa pasta is 80% corn so it tastes just like the corn pasta to me.

GFdoc hit the nail on the head IMO, the only way to get pasta that is anything like real pasta is to make it yourself. Get Bette Hagman's revised cookbook and follow the recipe for the pasta with garfava flour in it. I use a modified version of this recipe (with glutenous rice flour, corn starch, garfava flour) and I have managed to make a dough that is very easy to work with and cooks up tasting better than most regular store-bought, pre-packaged gluten-full pasta (but not quite as good as regular home-made gluten-full pasta, sigh). I make double or triple batches of the dough, roll out and cut a bunch of noodles and freeze them in single-serving sizes so I can just boil them up when I need them. It's a lot of work, but if you really love and miss good pasta, it is definitely worth it.

#11 lablady51

lablady51

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:12 PM

:rolleyes: Pasta OrgraN rice and millet pasta is the best I've found so far. Produced by OrgraN natural Foods...division of Roma Food Products...47-53 Aster Avenue
Carrum Downs Vic 3201
Australia
www.orgran.com
found it in a local health food store in Worcester, Ma
Also...for pasta/sauce mixes that cook in 15 minutes try Mrs. Leeper's chicken alfredo, beef stroganoff and others...good with or without the meat additions...and good cold. I haven't found another gluten-free pasta that is good cold. I foound it in a natural foods /specialty foods section of a grocery store in Worcester, MA. Distibuted by: American Italian Pasta Co. Kansas City,MO 64116

#12 bellevue

bellevue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:56 AM

hi, i love pasta too! i'm a newly diagnosed celiac. not italian but a real lover of pasta. my nutritioist recommends corn pasta but i have not found it yet. but have just started to look.

good luck! :)

#13 mat4mel

mat4mel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:11 AM

I love Tinkyada.. I really don't think it's that much different from wheat pasta. The color is a little different. Be sure you are cooking it in a lot of water.

Mel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: