#1 toofatcats

toofatcats

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:31 AM

Hi there,

I am a huge fan of the millet & flax seed chips that I've found (made by Sami's bakery). They have a few varieties (garlic, cinnamon/sugar (xylitol maybe?)) but they are kind of expensive and I would love to be able to make them myself. Does anyone have a recipe for Millet & Flax Chips? They are thicker than a tortilla chip or a cracker. Can you help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cypress

cypress

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hi there,

I am a huge fan of the millet & flax seed chips that I've found (made by Sami's bakery). They have a few varieties (garlic, cinnamon/sugar (xylitol maybe?)) but they are kind of expensive and I would love to be able to make them myself. Does anyone have a recipe for Millet & Flax Chips? They are thicker than a tortilla chip or a cracker. Can you help?

Ha! That is very funny, I just googled recipes too for the exact same reason for the same chips. I joined this forum last month to help a friend living in Moscow who's just developed a gluten allergy and can't get good advice over there. Did you come up with any recipes? I'm just about to make them in my kitchen. I am going to try 3/4 millet flour, 1/4 brown rice flour and guess on the baking powder and flax seed amounts. I'm also going to grind up some of the flax seed because they have a lot of mucilage and I think that might help keep the chips sticking together. I also imagine there's a pretty good amount of olive oil in it since the come out so crispy. I'll let you know.

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

Ha! That is very funny, I just googled recipes too for the exact same reason for the same chips. I joined this forum last month to help a friend living in Moscow who's just developed a gluten allergy and can't get good advice over there. Did you come up with any recipes? I'm just about to make them in my kitchen. I am going to try 3/4 millet flour, 1/4 brown rice flour and guess on the baking powder and flax seed amounts. I'm also going to grind up some of the flax seed because they have a lot of mucilage and I think that might help keep the chips sticking together. I also imagine there's a pretty good amount of olive oil in it since the come out so crispy. I'll let you know.

According to what you've just described, I would include 1/4 either tapicoa or arrowroot starch, and make it 1/2 millet. That's just what I've had good experience with, it might come out great without some starch, but I have yet to find a recipe that does.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 kristy1129

kristy1129

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

I know this is an old thread...but just curious if you guys were able to get the recipe figured out? I totally LOVE those crackers!!! (Especially the cinnamon sugar ones!!)

#5 rhon6357

rhon6357

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

I know this is an old thread...but just curious if you guys were able to get the recipe figured out? I totally LOVE those crackers!!! (Especially the cinnamon sugar ones!!)

According to Sami's Bakery, these are the items in the millet chips - cinnamon my favorite. Smile.

Ingredients
Millet Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Ground Flax, Water, Cinnamon, Brown Sugar and Cane Sugar, Olive Oil ,Sea Salt , Non Aluminum Baking Powder.

I would definitely agree to using more millet flour than brown rice flour. Water and olive oil would be small amount so you could shape and flatten the dough - kind of like biscuit dough consistency. Baking powder probably 1/2 to cup of flour. Don't want it to rise too much. Thinking cinnamon and brown sugar are mixed to be sprinkled on top. Hope this helps.

I did notice they sell the above chips at their site, www.SamisBakery.com for only $3.09. The store I shop at sells them for $5 or $6 now. Guess it would be wise to order online...depending on shipping costs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: