This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Casein And Gluten Intolerant

mom2jpb

mom2jpb Newbie

:unsure:

Okay, in addition to the gluten intolerance, I have now been told that I cannot have casein. My son is autistic and doesn't consume casein, but I didn't know that I should avoid it as well. I can handle the almond milk, and even the soy milk. Does anybody know if goat milk has casein? What about eggs? I haven't tried egg substitutes, but I will now. Any recommendations?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

Goat milk does have casein in it. Eggs are not dairy products, so they are fine - no reason to avoid them.

mom2jpb Newbie
Goat milk does have casein in it. Eggs are not dairy products, so they are fine - no reason to avoid them.

Thanks! I can deal with almond milk, soy milk (rice milk is another matter), but I do like eggs. My dad (died of heart disease in 2001) was taken off eggs, and it was really difficult for him. My son couldn't care less about eggs (except the ones in oatmeal cookies), so it's not a problem for him. :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Casein is the main protein in any milk produced by any mammal. (haha... redundant, I supppose. :P) There are different sub-types of casein, and some people are primarily only reactive to one (and hence, may be fine with goat's milk, which has very little of the sub-type that is found in much higher quantities in cow's milk), but many people cannot handle any casein or even small quantities of the sub-type they have problems with. So, cow, goat, sheep, human, whale... it all has casein.

Eggs, however, are not mammary fluid, and hence do not have casein. Be aware that most egg substitutes (if you're talking about "egg beaters" for instance, actually *are* eggs - they just are egg whites with vitamins and coloring and gum added to make them seem more like whole eggs. Ener-G egg replacer, for instance, works for baking, but not scrambling, because it's potato starch and other starches. :)

mom2jpb Newbie
Casein is the main protein in any milk produced by any mammal. (haha... redundant, I supppose. :P) There are different sub-types of casein, and some people are primarily only reactive to one (and hence, may be fine with goat's milk, which has very little of the sub-type that is found in much higher quantities in cow's milk), but many people cannot handle any casein or even small quantities of the sub-type they have problems with. So, cow, goat, sheep, human, whale... it all has casein.

Eggs, however, are not mammary fluid, and hence do not have casein. Be aware that most egg substitutes (if you're talking about "egg beaters" for instance, actually *are* eggs - they just are egg whites with vitamins and coloring and gum added to make them seem more like whole eggs. Ener-G egg replacer, for instance, works for baking, but not scrambling, because it's potato starch and other starches. :)

Thanks, Tiffany. I've been buying a butter replacer for my son, I can't think of the name of it right now, and it works really well. Even my non-celiac, non-casein-intolerant friends can't tell the difference. Patrick has been eating Tings made from nutritional yeast and corn (Robert's American Gourmet) in place of Cheetos. They have an added benefit - no yucky cheese marks on his clothes, toys, face, etc.

Guest Villanfam

Hi Tiffany, my 8yr old son tested + on the blood tests (for celiac disease) in late Sept. this year and also has Aspergers. We took the casein away a month after the gluten, but I've had a hard time finding lists of ingredients to avoid for Casein on the internet. Besides the words milk, butter, cheese, casein, is there any others that I need to question? Is it hidden in other ingredients like gluten is? And finally, where can I find casein free butter substitute or cheese? It seems that even margerine and soy cheese has caseinate in them. He's starting to lose weight because there is just not enough fats in his diet. He's 8 and weighs 46 lbs! Help

Courtney

mom2jpb Newbie
Hi Tiffany, my 8yr old son tested + on the blood tests (for celiac disease) in late Sept. this year and also has Aspergers. We took the casein away a month after the gluten, but I've had a hard time finding lists of ingredients to avoid for Casein on the internet. Besides the words milk, butter, cheese, casein, is there any others that I need to question? Is it hidden in other ingredients like gluten is? And finally, where can I find casein free butter substitute or cheese? It seems that even margerine and soy cheese has caseinate in them. He's starting to lose weight because there is just not enough fats in his diet. He's 8 and weighs 46 lbs! Help

Courtney

Courtney,

There are several butter substitutes. I think the one that I have at home is Nu-butter. I will check and get a list of casein free products for you by tomorrow.

My son loves the Panda Puffs cereals and bars. He can't eat anything with casein or gluten. A lot of the Bob's Red Mill products are Gluten-free Casein-free, including brownie mix, bread mix, pancake mix, cookie mix, and hot cereal (he loves cream of wheat and oatmeal, and this stuff is better than either of them). Take a look at the TACA website - you will find lots of suggestions for Gluten-free Casein-free diets there. The address is www.tacanow.com. I heard about the Gluten-free Casein-free diet at an autism support group meeting. Do a google search for Gluten-free Casein-free and you will be amazed at the results. There are some terrific cookbooks, including the ones on savorypalate.com. Best of luck with your son. My son has the reverse problem - he is 7 years old, 4'6" and 130 lbs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Below is a post I copied from one I've made previously on my favorite cf/gluten-free products:

My favorite gluten-free/cf "butter" alternative is Earth Balance. It comes in sticks and spread. The sticks work perfectly as a sub for regular butter in cooking/baking and taste very good. See products here: Earth Balance Buttery Sticks and Whipped Spread: Open Original Shared Link (Buy at Wild Oats, Sunflower)

A good gluten-free/cf yogurt, Whole Soy company. Read the back of the label--it will say gluten-free/cf: Open Original Shared Link It is made from soy. I use the plain and vanilla in subs for cooking. (Wild Oats, I believe)

I also just found this gluten-free/cf soy-based whip cream that is pretty good! It's called Soyatoo. It would be a Rediwhip substitute: <Open Original Shared Link (Wild Oats)

Vance’s Darifree is a liquid milk substitute. I use it to make homemade "icecream." I can give you the recipes for this (I sent them on this listserv earlier) It works really well. Some people like it on their cereal, in coffee etc. It has a bit of a protein shake taste to me. Open Original Shared Link (I did see it in store somewhere, but am not sure where--it might have been Georgetown Market. I order online.)

For my main milk substitutes I use either Pacific Rice Milk (Wild Oats, Sunflower etc) or Silk Soy Milk. I mainly use the rice milk in my cereal etc. It is good--has a mild tatse. My husband has switched to it now too! Silk I use in cooking more so. Open Original Shared Link Their products usually have the gluten-free/casein/milk-free labeling on their packages. I use the lowfat plain and their chocolate. The chocolate milk is a great snack--tastes just like real chocolate milk. (You can buy it in a 1/2 gallon at Wild Oats/Sunflower or can get individual packages in the chip isle at Walmart).

The only gluten-free/cf "cheese" lines I've found in stores is Soyco's Vegan line and Follow Your Heart: Open Original Shared Link. Nothing cf is going to be the same as real cheese, but some people like it. You'll just have to try and decide. It doesn't melt very well. I've bought this at Wild Oats. Open Original Shared Link

So, there are some great subs out there. I don't have much trouble in any of my cooking/baking etc. The one issue I have is subbing for cream cheese/sour cream. I tried a dairy-free sour cream, and let's just say it was pretty bad. So, for that you may just have to go without. It can be tough at first, but is possible. I don't have much problem at all, except for an occasional recipe I come up against :)

Tropical Source gluten-free/cf chocolate chips. They are very good, also look for their chocolate bars. See the chips here: Open Original Shared Link They have a rich flavor great for cooking, baking or just snacking. Definitely superior to Enjoylife's chocolate chips. (But Tropical Source chips do contain soy.) I buy them at Wild Oats or Sunflower.

New addition: Vitasoy's cf/gluten-free Egg Nog--its quite tasty! Comes in a green carton like rice milks. Open Original Shared Link

Also Miss Roben has some rice milk powder you can use to make subs for condensed milk. And instead of using evaporated milk in recipes, like a pumpkin pie for instance, try silk soy creamer. I used it last week and the pie came out perfect. It worked like a charm--my husband said he couldn't tell the difference.

CarlaB Enthusiast
My son couldn't care less about eggs (except the ones in oatmeal cookies), so it's not a problem for him. :)

Do you know that most oatmeal is not gluten-free? Plus, some people who are gluten intolerant are also intolerant to the protein in oatmeal as well.

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Besides the words milk, butter, cheese, casein, is there any others that I need to question?

... and whey (a milk byproduct that's in a lot of processed foods).

Michi8 Contributor

Courtney

Courtney, there is a long list of milk-derived ingredients you need to watch for. There is a very complete list here: Open Original Shared Link I'm having trouble connect to that website at the moment. Once you are able to go there, do a bit of looking around for the list...you can print it out to take with you when you shop. As well, you can check out Open Original Shared Link for a list of websites with info about being milk, casein and/or lactose free.

There is a Fleishman's margarine that is dairy/casein/lactose free (at least in Canada.) Not sure about gluten though. Dairy free cheese is very difficult to find...almost all soy cheeses have dairy in them. I did find one brand of slices: Open Original Shared Link. They taste not too bad...pretty close to Kraft slices.

Michelle

Michi8 Contributor

godairyfree.org is working again! Here is the webpage that lists dairy ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

Michelle

Guest Villanfam

Thank you all, so much. I'm glad to know there are options for him out there. Now hopefully I can get him to start gaining weight ! All three of my kids have appt. at the Allergist next week to see if there are any other food intolerances going on. There haven't responded as well as I would have liked after going gluten free. They are all still irritable especially my DD!

Thank you all again,

Courtney

Archived