This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Vitamins Are Not Digesting

kathy2005

kathy2005 Rookie

Hi,

Sometimes when I have loose stools I notice that my vitamin capsules do not digest. I have noticed this with my multivitamin and my calcium/magnesium capsules. They are both powder inside gelatin capsules. If I place the gelatin capsules in warm water they melt away but they can go through my gut intact. It really baffles me that I cannot seem to digest a simple gelatin capsule. I called the manufacturer and they said that they switched to gelatin capsules to make sure that they digest and she has never heard of my problem. I thought that I would just bypass the capsule and open the vitamins up and take them on a spoon. This works fine for the calcium/magnesium but my vitamin powder has a horrible taste and gives me a stomach ache if I take it without the capsule. I am thinking that I may need more digestive enzymes to help digest my gelatin capsules and I tried plain bromelain powder but it seems to irritate my stomach as well.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Kathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Hmm, maybe you can try poking the capsule a couple times with a clean needle just to make some holes in it.

mamaw Community Regular

Kathy

Sorry but I never heard of not being able to digest a capsule so I can't help with that. But perhaps mixing the powder with applesauce or pudding might make it go down easier. Just a thought. That way something else would be in your stomach to make digesting easier.

blessings

mamaw

Guest AutumnE

I have this with diarrhea also. I have noticed pills and vitamins going right through me although mine arent gel caps. It stopped as long as I stay away from all dairy, corn, gluten and grains.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hi,

Sometimes when I have loose stools I notice that my vitamin capsules do not digest. I have noticed this with my multivitamin and my calcium/magnesium capsules. They are both powder inside gelatin capsules. If I place the gelatin capsules in warm water they melt away but they can go through my gut intact. It really baffles me that I cannot seem to digest a simple gelatin capsule. I called the manufacturer and they said that they switched to gelatin capsules to make sure that they digest and she has never heard of my problem. I thought that I would just bypass the capsule and open the vitamins up and take them on a spoon. This works fine for the calcium/magnesium but my vitamin powder has a horrible taste and gives me a stomach ache if I take it without the capsule. I am thinking that I may need more digestive enzymes to help digest my gelatin capsules and I tried plain bromelain powder but it seems to irritate my stomach as well.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Kathy

Dear Kathy,

This is likely a result of severe malabsorption. I do not know if it will help, but it is a possibility you could take digestive enzymes. That could help you break down the food. That seems to be your trouble. I hope this makes sense.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Guest cassidy

I thought of digestive enzymes as well. Also, probiotics. Many people don't have the right balance of good and bad bacteria if they are having D a lot and probiotics are very helpful.

I had to take a capsule when I was very little and my mom opened it up and mixed it in a spoon with applesauce. I wonder if the vitamins hurt your stomach if you don't take them with enough food. You might try eating a lot and finishing the meal with the vitamin. The applesauce helped me because you can swallow the whole thing and it tastes sweet.

Capsule vitamins are the best kind to take, so I would stick with them and hopefully this will get better as you get better.

loraleena Contributor

why don't you try liquid or powdered vitamins?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kathy2005 Rookie

Thanks everyone,

I am going to try several of the things you suggested. My EnteroLab fat test came back normal, so I am hoping it is more of a digestive enzyme thing rather than malabsorption.

Kathy

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i have heard of the outside of pills not getting digested, but if the whole thing is going through untouched, that does sound like absorbtion problems. try looking for a pill that has the label that guarantees it is dissolved within an hour...i don't remember what it's called...i take Lame Advertisement's multivitimins, and never noticed a problem with them :)

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
kathy2005 Rookie
Hmm, maybe you can try poking the capsule a couple times with a clean needle just to make some holes in it.

I wanted to say thank you for this idea. Since I have been poking my capsules they seem to be digesting. Also, I am not getting indigestion from the vitamins like I did when I opened up the capsules and just took the powder inside.

Thanks again!

Kathy

RiceGuy Collaborator

It was malabsorption that had me look into sublingual supplements. I didn't even bother to try any that are swallowed. The sublingual ones dissolve under your tongue, so they get into the bloodstream without depending on proper digestion at all. This is the best way to be sure you are getting the benefits from the supplements. From what I've read, many supplements on the market aren't actually in the proper coenzymed forms anyway, which just gives the digestive system, liver, etc more work to do, if the nutrients can even be utilized at all.

chrissy Collaborator

you could use kids chewable vitamins.

NoGluGirl Contributor
I wanted to say thank you for this idea. Since I have been poking my capsules they seem to be digesting. Also, I am not getting indigestion from the vitamins like I did when I opened up the capsules and just took the powder inside.

Thanks again!

Kathy

Dear kathy2005,

You probably got indigestion from the powdered vitamins due to the direct contact with the stomach. The ones in the capsules likely were enteric. That means they disolved in the colon instead as a result of the gel capsule coating. I am glad to hear you are doing better. It really is amazing how a small change can make the difference!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived