This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocholate Chip Question

zachsmom

zachsmom Enthusiast

Hey I have something to ask.

Like I said in the vanillia gone bad post.... most walmart gv brand items are all marked GLUTEN FREE. well the chips are not marked gluten free. ( along with their friend the vanillia extract... but i will shut up about the vanillia ( LOL ) so I was thinking .. could the chocolate liquior that they added cause the chips to be glutened. Okay I admit I was confused about the alcohol inthe extracts.... But every single thing I have from walmart has a gluten free lable .. and the chips dont ... I wonder why......

the baby isnt getting any.... but I just want to know.

thanks everyone....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

just because it doesn't say gluten free doesn't mean that it isn't. reading the labels is more important.

and choc licquor is almost always fine. I dont think that would be a problem.

Guest Villanfam
could the chocolate liquior that they added cause the chips to be glutened.

"Chocolate liquor, also known as cocoa liquor and cocoa mass, is a smooth liquid form of chocolate. It is produced by taking cocoa beans that have been fermented, dried, roasted, and separated from their shells and grinding their center, the cotyledon. The chocolate liquor can then be cooled and molded into blocks known as unsweetened baking chocolate. The liquor and blocks contain roughly 53 percent cocoa butter. Chocolate liquor contains no alcohol." Open Original Shared Link

I just learned that yesterday :D LOL

zachsmom Enthusiast

I was just confused .... ALL and I MEAN ALL.......... the GV stuff is marked.... and weirdly those items were not... I looked at some of the pantry items I have green beans marked Gluten free. peas... just stuff you wouldnt think of .. but those items ... no lableing...

jerseyangel Proficient
I was just confused .... ALL and I MEAN ALL.......... the GV stuff is marked.... and weirdly those items were not... I looked at some of the pantry items I have green beans marked Gluten free. peas... just stuff you wouldnt think of .. but those items ... no lableing...

That's okay! :D

It is always best to question anything until you are sure of it's gluten status. It sure does get confusing sometimes!

Guhlia Rising Star

If GV didn't label it as gluten free, I would stear clear. They're very good about labeling. It could have been an older bag though before they started labeling gluten-free. I think that's a relatively new thing within the past two years. Maybe I'm wrong.

happygirl Collaborator

Guhlia-yeah, you are right...i want to say it started last fall? does that sound right?

plus, it could also be a mistake...somehow it didn't get added (the gluten-free label) on this one. Or they might have changed suppliers, etc. many, many reasons. the best way to know is to read the ingredients....because if it can be a mistake (omission) it could certainly be put on there inadvertendly....so the safest way is always to read and ask!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i've noticed this too. i've tried them anyway, and didn't have a problem with either the semisweet or the white chocolate chips.

i think i might give them a call though...

zachsmom Enthusiast

well I have suspicions. I mean even the things like gum are marked and the vanillia and the chocolate chips arent not . What gv just did not get to those items yet?????

happygirl Collaborator

Have you called yet?

dragonmom Apprentice

The problem that I've found with chocolate is BARLEY MALT not listed because it is not a major allergen, like contains NUTS and milk. Lindt chocolates sometimes have barley malt in them....that is what I look for now in chocolate of all types. :blink:

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
The problem that I've found with chocolate is BARLEY MALT not listed because it is not a major allergen, like contains NUTS and milk. Lindt chocolates sometimes have barley malt in them....that is what I look for now in chocolate of all types. :blink:

Wouldn't the malt be in the ingredient list? Just not in a "may contain"? I mean if it contains malt, then shouldn't malt be somewhere in the ingredient list? :huh:

zachsmom Enthusiast

See if I call we wont have anything to DISCUSS.. ( lOL ) Yeah as soon as I get a free second .. I will call the number onthe back. then we can all rest in peace... welll maybe not that restful ... CHristmas is a few days away....

happygirl Collaborator

Linda, yes, you are correct, all ingredients like that must be listed. The only 'potential' (very small) problem would be if it was in a flavoring (i.e., flavoring derived from malt, etc), but *most* companies now list things like that. But if it is just plain malt, then yes, it must be listed.

jerseyangel Proficient

I thought I'd do my good deed for the day and call to check on this.

The woman on the phone took all of my info and said that someone would call me back with an answer within 2-3 business days :unsure:

Never got that response before.....

happygirl Collaborator

Aw, Patti, thanks for doing that! I was actually thinking of doing it myself...but it just didn't happen. :)

You are the best!

dragonmom Apprentice

The barley malt is listed but not as an allergen. I"m old, I like the big letters that say WHEAT MILK stuff like that not the little tiny ones that say barleymalt. Sorry for the inconvienience. :(

zachsmom Enthusiast

Well thanks for doing that ....

I looked forever and could not find the phone number. so .... you might want to post it ,.... for us who ( okay I am talking about me.... who might need it ... to call them ) thanks so much....

jerseyangel Proficient
Well thanks for doing that ....

I looked forever and could not find the phone number. so .... you might want to post it ,.... for us who ( okay I am talking about me.... who might need it ... to call them ) thanks so much....

Sure! It's 1-800-925-6278.

Be prepared--it's a long menu before you can actually speak to a human :P

mbg98 Contributor

just bought bags of the GV semi sweet choc. chips and mine ARE marked as gluten-free, it is in small letters a few lines down from the ingredients list. hope this helps!

zachsmom Enthusiast

noooooooo way.... they must have ah ... falllen asleep at the desk on that one..... no kidding... What I want to ask them in my ( not written yet ) letter is why .. do they not have a web site.... that you can do this ... instead of having to call and be on hold for a million years.

There has to be a reason that they omitted that.... maybe they were changing the formulation. who knows... glad its on there. now..... weird.

happygirl Collaborator

Zachsmom-

I still want to insist that the best way to know if something is gluten free is by reading the ingredients, not counting on the presence or absence of anything that says gluten free. They are not required to do so, so mistakes can easily happen (leaving it off when it is perfectly safe). It will safe you a lot of worrying and time in the long run :)

MBG-Thanks for sharing---we are happy to have that cleared up!!!!!

Laura

Juliebove Rising Star

For those who have additional food issues, the Enjoy Life brand of chocolate chips are also free of soy and dairy. They taste great. I've never met a kid who didn't like them. I'm making some Christmas chocolates with them now.

jerseyangel Proficient

Just an update--Wal Mart hasn't gotten back to me yet :angry:

Soccer Girl Newbie

i woulsnt risk it...

Archived