35 replies to this topic

#1 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

A lot of you know I have gone back on gluten for a time to be tested. I have noticed since going back on it; aside of feeling just horrible, that I am constantly thristy all the time. Now this is a symptom I had before going gluten-free, and it went away when I was gluten-free, but I didn't even notice it was gone until going back on gluten and finding that it is back. And, wow is it back with a vengence! Anyone else noticed this? Is it a symptom of celiac disease, or is it maybe that gluten foods just have more dehydrating ingredients (I know that sounds weird but I am sure it is possible)? Thanks!

Deanna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:20 PM

I would talk to your doctor about this symptom. Excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. Have you had your blood sugar levels checked?

#3 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

Another idea, do you find yourself taking less fluids in when you are not gluten-free? Also, what are your symptons now? You could be loosing more fluids through loose stool or something also those lines?

#4 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:11 PM

I have been tested for diabetes, and they have told me I could have some hypoglycemia (spelling?). Yes, I found that I wasn't drinking as much when I was gluten-free, but I didn't realize it until I started on gluten again. My thirst is always for water too, nothing else helps it. I actually suffer from terribly bad constipation, not diarreha. My other symptoms are the common celiac disease ones exhaustion, gas and bloating, irritability, etc.

#5 vickirenee

vickirenee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:47 AM

Have you been tested for anemia? When my levels were very low--I was thirsty all the time and craved ice. Now that I have had several iron therapy sessions I am not thirsty all the time.

Vicki

#6 Sherquilts

Sherquilts

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:01 PM

I too was thirsty all the time until I became gluten-free 2 1/2 months ago. All I wanted was water it was like I craved it all the time. Now I drink very little of it. I didn't realize it until you posted this message. That's strange.
Sheryl

#7 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

I'm also thirsty all the time. Yes, I've been tested regularly for diabetes, which runs in my family. I also have the constipation, bloating, gas, fatigue stuff as celiac symptoms and have had anemia previously. I may have borderline anemia now, since I get cold easily, have TERRIBLE fingernails (brittle, vertical ridges, thin and easily chipped) and often feel tired. I won't take iron pills after one iron therapy session wherein I went from diarrhea to constipation from day to day. I try to get iron from iron containing foods. I always assumed thirst was a GOOD thing, because we're supposed to drink a lot of water anyway. I notice when I don't drink enough fluids, it's easy to mistake thirst for hunger and eat when I'm not hungry and feel much worse, than if I just drank some liquids. :blink:
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#8 Niteyx13

Niteyx13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

I won't take iron, I am constipated enough as it is! lol
I did have some problems with anemia with my pregnancies, but not since. However, I have not been tested for a long time either, so maybe I will bring it up with the doctor.
Thanks!

:ph34r: :blink: <~~my daughter's choices...hehe

#9 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

that is pretty funny that you mention the thirsty thing! for YEARS I was always so thirsty (and had to pee all the time- imagine that.) they tested me for diabetes three times, and the third time they said I was hypoglycemic. I finally had to put a stop the diabetes tests.

Well, I have been gluten-free for 9 months now, and doidn't notice a difference until I get contaminated and then boy, all I do is drink drink drink. My pet theory is that my body is trying to flush itself out. Our bodies are really trying their best...

Lib

#10 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

Hey Lib:
The flushing out theory sounds good to me ... even if I never get diarrhea. I find that drinking lots of warm water really helps with my cramping pains as well as helping resolve my inevitable constipation from gluten/dairy/soy slips. :o
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#11 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

This is a little bit of an old thread, but wanted to add that I had incredible thirst. After being gluten-free for two weeks, I cut my water consumption in about half. Now I've stayed there. I think a lot of water is good, but you can drink too much which dilutes your minerals. I was advised not to drink so much because I had low calcium/potassium but I just couldn't do it. Gee.....wonder why the c/p was low!!!!??? DUH! :D

Brenda
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

#12 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:34 AM

Thirst was one of my main symptoms, funny it's not listed as such.
But Celiac can actually die of dehydration from not absorbing water,
so thirst is a huge and ought to be used to help diagnose us.
I can't tell you how thirsty I was.
gluten-free nine month, only thirsty after several alcohol bev. That still doesn't compare
to how thirtsy I used to be

#13 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:15 AM

Isn't there a celiac related disease that causes dry eyes and mouth? I can't recall the name of this condition. Perhaps your thirst is really this?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#14 hornbeck0920

hornbeck0920

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

I was going to post a question about this in the babies and kids section. My daughter, Shirley, started sleeping throught the night when she started soy formula at 2 1/2 months (I believe she was allergic to milk because lactose free formula didn't help her "colic" but her ped said she couldn't be because milk allergy is rare.) When she was about ten months old she started waking at night again. I thought she was having a growth spurt and needed more food so I'd get up with her and warm a bottle in the middle of the night, two or three times a night. She would suck on the bottle slowly like she didn't really want it, but since she was a thumb sucker I figured that she MUST be hungry or she'd just suck her thumb to fall asleep. After about two weeks of this I was exhausted (prego with Jeffy, too :) ) and took a bottle of water to bed with us. When she woke, I just handed her the bottle. She gulped down 4oz, burped, then said, "wa wa" so I gave her a refill and she drank even more then fell asleep. From then on I took two full bottles of water to bed with us so we could get a little more sleep. Tommy (baby #3) is 9mo now and he's been waking about every 1 1/2 hours at night, sometimes to nurse but usually just wanting water. We've been gluten-free for a month except for a few slip ups. I hope he quenches his thirst soon because I haven't had a full night of sleep since he was born!

#15 jmd3

jmd3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

When I fell sick I was so thristy - it was horrible - I drank and drank all the time - then I would be up all night going to the bathroom - but I was even thirsty at night too! I was tested over and over again for diabetes - but everything was fine there.

Even though I was constantly drinking, I had rough battle with dehydration -- I was in the hospital for that at least 5 times. Just before I was diagnosed with celiac, and the last time I was dehydrated, I got and keep *gerber liquilytes on hand ( it replenished fluids and minerals lost in D and dehydration). It is actually for babies and little kids, but it worked for me!!! I also found drinking propel helped me tremdously as it has some vitamin B in it.

I have not been dehydrated since I stopped eating wheat, nor have I had extreme thirst like I had. I still drink one propel a day, it gives me a bit of energy during the day with the vitamin B.

Just like others have mentioned = watch rinsing away all the vitamins and minerals - I did that several times.
Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!
Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac
SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden
March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac
Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!
Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene
3 children-
youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease
middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac
oldest - ignores warnings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: