This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Runners

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I've had trouble finding my pace lately. Even when I run with a team member who is at a comfortable pace, I feel exhausted. My throat also burns, no matter how hydrated I am. Please help!!!!

Thank you,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Alexolua Explorer

Hey Jill.

This thread may help you.

Open Original Shared Link

Think it covers a few things for athletes, the energy issue is one of them!

I'd love to have actual advice, but errmm.. haven't felt healthy enough to run for a long time now, lol. So look on the bright side.. you are running! =D

CarolynM Newbie

Just a guess - maybe not enough carbohydrates. All my favorite carbs were wheat. Also a friend in my running club had some of the same feelings when he was on the Atkins diet.

curiousJ Newbie

Hi - I was recently diagnosed with celiacs & have just started the gluten-free diet. I'm also a marathon runner (and anemic). I find that I'm ok with long, moderately paced runs, but that hills & short, fast runs are really tough. I think that if you just keep up with the running, eventually you'll start feeling better.

I have a question and a comment... First the comment - I contacted the Balance Bar people, who told me that many of their products do not contain any gluten, per se. They are, however, produced in a facility where wheat products are processed as well. I figure that this is probably ok (am I correct? I don't feel bad when I eat them certainly...). Also, I go on travel a lot for work & was wondering if it's better to stick religiously to the gluten-free diet or to "cheat" if it's between that and going hungry. Any comments?

Thanks.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Definitely better to stick to the diet religiously than to cheat.......NEVER cheat......even a few crumbs could throw your intestines off for weeks, regardless of whether you feel it or not. I run a bit, but not enough to consider myself qualified for this topic. I've found that my only problem is that after starting the diet, I tried not to run so maybe I'd have an easier time gaining weight and now I need to rebuild everything so I can get back my endurance.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I have a question and a comment... First the comment - I contacted the Balance Bar people, who told me that many of their products do not contain any gluten, per se. They are, however, produced in a facility where wheat products are processed as well. I figure that this is probably ok (am I correct? I don't feel bad when I eat them certainly...). Also, I go on travel a lot for work & was wondering if it's better to stick religiously to the gluten-free diet or to "cheat" if it's between that and going hungry. Any comments?

Thanks.

I've had some "bar type food" that had no gluten in the ingredients, but was made in a facility that processes wheat, and did get sick. I think the key here is that "results will be very UNpredictable". Maybe one day they were running a bunch of the gluten-free flavors, maybe another day they didn't. Maybe one day they were running gluten-free and non-gluten-free flavors side by side, maybe one day they didn't. Maybe someone dropped a bag of flour near the ingredients for the non-gluten-free bar, maybe there was some extra wind in the factory, maybe the non-gluten-free bars were extra wet and picked up the flour more easily. It's just too many variables. I tend to avoid those types of products, 'cause I already got sick from one.

I travel for work a lot too (and let me tell you, Ft. Wayne is NOT very gluten-free-friendly ;-) ), but it is vital that you do NOT cheat. Getting sick on a business trip is never fun (and I don't get very sick either), and if you become more sensitize the gluten the longer you're on the diet, you'll not be able to completely predict your reaction through the years.

Plan ahead and find out what grocery stores and restaurants are in the area that can accomodate you, and make and pack your own snack food. If staying overnight, find residence-inn-type places that have kitchens so you can do some basic cooking on your own. And did I mention brining plenty of your own snack food/lunch food with you? (This is vital for those plane trips!)

• 1 month later...
lisabarella Apprentice

Balance Bars do have gluten in them.

2 flavors of Geni Soy bars are gluten free - the choc penut and the yogurt penut.

I believe that all low carb genisoy bars are gluten-free. BUt Geni soy will send you a NICE PPT slide with all of the gluten free products if you email them. The regular geni soy bars are high in processed sugar.

Think Thin makes a lot of bars that the low carb and gluten free. But manitol (sugar alcohol) can cause havic to your stomach too.

There are some vegitarian bars on the market that are gluten-free and I believe that the Laura Bar is gluten-free too (based on ingredients) - but I have not contacted them yet.

Gu, Hammer Gel, Ultima, and GU H2O are gluten-free

the amemia will make you tired -- so get to the bottom of that first - go see a hemotologist:) - the amemia is causing you to be exhausted during running. Remember that iron is life - it carried O2 to your muscles. Without iron we will all be dead. I can promise you that if you get out of the anemic stage then you will feel 100% better. It is like NIGHT AND DAY. You will have more energy all day long and during running.:)

LB

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MichelleC Apprentice

Lara Bars are gluten-free. Says so on the bars and are now made in a gluten-free plant.

FreyaUSA Contributor

Many Balance Bars are gluten free. I called the company and they were bought out by Kraft 1-2 years ago. Kraft has a pretty strict cleaning process they go through for their equipment (I used to do research on industrial lubrications...now that is an exciting topic...*cough*) Anyway, knowing what I do about them, I feel pretty comfortable eating something from them even if it's made where gluten filled items are also made. But, because they have a full disclosure policy, they mention that the processing is in the same places on the label.

Anyway, I use the Balance bars fairly often and my highschooler has them all the time (he keeps one with him so if he's somewhere and starved, which he is 90% of the time, he can have something without having to worry.) So far, neither of us has had a problem with them. I suppose we might at some point, but then, the last time I had a reaction was from cheese, of all things (getting complacent <_< ) I react fairly quickly (within 30 minutes I'm omw to having a killer headache or just a migraine.)

That said...all my kids (and I) really like the Genisoy, Extreme, PB bar best of all we've had. Better than the regular Genisoy PB one, even. I just haven't been able to find where I can buy it by the case yet (and without tons of added shipping charges.)

FreyaUSA Contributor

Oh! I also want to thank you all for posting other types of gluten-free bars! Variety is so nice. :)

veggf Newbie

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info! Yeah!--Celiac Athletes! I'm a road cyclist, I'm not a runner, but both are endurance sports. I've run into the same problem, Jill, with maintaining my energy. I've found that if I drink a watered down gluten-free sports drink (w/o refined sugars) throughout my rides (every 10 mins. +/-) that I can maintain my energy levels better (I used to do the watered down gluten-free sports drink just towards the ends of rides). I also found a fruit bar that I eat on long rides, they are pear bars made by Gorge Delights out of Oregon (potassium and no refined sugars). I've had trouble with a lot of the energy bars, even if they are gluten free, I just can't eat them on a ride, they upset my stomach. The fruit bars work for me though. I eat my rice, gluten-free breads, or wild rice before my rides.

I agree that iron can also be a problem. Generally I can get away with just a multivitamin with iron. But I donated blood awhile ago and it really wiped me out, a nurse recommended time-release iron supplements at night with orange juice.

Jill, and other athletes: Are you always hungry? I've passed that "empty gut feeling" stage of healing, but lately I'm so hungry!!!!!!!!!! I'm at a pretty stable weight, just hungry.

Take Care!

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

veggf and friends,

So nice to see one of my older posts getting some feedback! Thank you!!!

I've been steadily improving since August. I had been so ill during the preceding months that I couldn't start conditioning for cross country until two weeks before I returned to college.

I have been doing everything properly for running and the gluten-free diet (hydration, gluten sleuthing, etc). I feel that I've been running slower, but I guess that my pace will improve as time passes ;)

celiac3270 Collaborator

I eat the two flavors of gluten-free genisoy bars. Some Atkins bars are also gluten-free. Despite being for people on a diet, they have a good amount of fat and protein, I believe, and I don't think there's too much sugar.

SofiEmiMom Enthusiast

I was an avid runner prior to falling very ill..diagnosed just over a year ago with gluten intolerance. I'm finally feeling ready to run again but am concerned about keeping my weight on. What do you runners eat to load up on carbs?

lisabarella Apprentice

sweet potatoes, brown rice, and beans....pinto, black, fat free refried, gluten-free waffles, P&J on rice bread

veggf Newbie

I like gluten-free rice cereal with soy milk, gluten-free Pantry's Fav. Sandwich Bread, rice cakes (Lundgren's) with either hummus or PB&J, gluten-free pasta, gluten-free rice pilafs, and wild rice.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
LLRD Newbie

Hello,

I know these last posts are a bit old but I was so happy to come across them!

I am new to the forum all together so I am still working my way around the entire website.

I have not officially been dx'd with Celiac. I had been told I have IBS (mainly with constipation, although the other occurs during runninig) and also had my gallbladder out about five weeks ago. My symptoms seemed to have started about 5 years ago, a year after having a baby and going through an awful divorce, and had really gotten unbearable the last 2 years or so. So finally after seeing 3 docs, getting the work-up, the gallbladder out, still felt like an inflated balloon 9 days after surgery. So to make long story short I changed my diet to wheat free, felt WAY better, then gluten free and what a difference!!! So in my mind, don't care what docs think anymore, I'm either just gluten intolerant or possible CE. Haven't felt this good in three or more years!

I normally run about 45 miles a week. I had low hemaglobin (iron) levels in the past which I related to running and pretty much being vegetarian. I lived on oatmeal and whole wheat pita bread, Hello! Anyway I had started to really struggle with a 2 mile run, which I could normally do 8 no problem. I figured out it was my iron and started taking iron supplement once a day (took three times a day when pregnant) along with a multi w/iron. Within a few weeks I felt back to normal and even stronger so I kept taking the iron. Well a few months back when I went to GI doc #3 he told me to stop it (causes constipation) and wanted a true read of my iron levels after a week being off. I was reluctant but did it because I couldn't deal with the tummy troubles anymore. Well my iron was fine (but I was only off a week!) and then I just returned to taking the multi. Now the past few weeks that feeling of I'm working ten times harder at a slower pace has started to happen. So I started the iron pills again a few days ago. It's so funny it seems to happen overnight. I think it may be due to being off the iron as well as my diet change. In the past when I was on gluten it may have been that I was not absorbing iron. Not that I'm eating all these gluten-free grains that aren't fortified I think this is exacerbating the problem. So after all this background info my question is this: Does anyone with CE and especially those who are runners/athletes take iron supplements? Are they necessarily gluten-free? I take the CVS brand. Also are there any iron fortified gluten-free cereals or breads? I really beleive the poor performance is related to this problem. Runners in particular are at risk for "runner's anemia". Any help much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
curiousJ Newbie

Hi -

I run ~80 miles per week and have had problems with anemia in the past. I have been taking "SlowFE" for the past year or so & haven't had any iron deficiency problems since then.

Good luck!

LLRD Newbie

I have been better since taking the iron again too. I take the same strength you do but I use the CVS brand. The Novartis brand has sorbitol in it which doesn't agree with me. I'm not sure if the iron is upsetting my stomach a little or maybe some hidden gluten somewhere. When I went off the iron for a few days (after starting them again from when the doc told me to stop) my stomach wasn't any better.

Thanks for replying. You really run alot! I thought I was a nut! Do you run twice a day?

• 4 weeks later...
curiousJ Newbie
I have been better since taking the iron again too. I take the same strength you do but I use the CVS brand. The Novartis brand has sorbitol in it which doesn't agree with me. I'm not sure if the iron is upsetting my stomach a little or maybe some hidden gluten somewhere. When I went off the iron for a few days (after starting them again from when the doc told me to stop) my stomach wasn't any better.

Thanks for replying. You really run alot! I thought I was a nut! Do you run twice a day?

Usually I just run once a day - typically 10 miles on weekdays and 15+ miles on weekend days.

I run a lot of miles, but at low-moderate intensity...

It's so hard to figure out what upsets the stomach. Before the celiac diagnosis, I just thought that I had the "Runner's Runs" all the time. The SlowFe doesn't seem to upset my stomach at all, though. Just curious, do you drink coffee? I'm totally addicted, but I think that it might upset my stomach a bit.

LLRD Newbie

Yes I'm a coffee addict too. It doesn't bother me in the morning but sometimes if I drink in afternoon.

I also thought I had runners trots, which I still have. I run on treadmill near the bathroom mostly.

I have a few training related questions for you. Are you a male or female? What kind of pace is low-moderate intensity? Why so many miles? Do you run marathons. May I also ask your age?

The reason I ask is because ever since I had my gallbladder out 3 months ago I have been going back and forth with how I feel when running. I am a woman who will be 39 on Monday! Is my age a factor yet? I typically run about 9 miles 5 days a week and it takes me roughly 65 minutes on treadmill, a bit longer outside. I started running when I was 23 so it's been nearly 16 years. Do you think my body is trying to tell me something? Maybe I should slow down a bit and just run a little longer? Maybe I just need to finally give in to the fact I'm getting a little older. NOT old, just a little older. :rolleyes: Do you think if I slow my pace a bit but maintain the mileage I will be able to maintain my weight? Actually right now I feel like I want to lose a couple of pounds but I know that I'm just bloated! ugh I hate that!

I do know that I definately need my iron.

Also if you're a woman are you having periods? Somehow I think with your mileage you're probably a guy right?

curiousJ Newbie

Hi -

I am a female runner age 35. I run a lot of miles because I don't particularly like running fast & I don't get the "endorphin" effect if I run shorter distances (at the same pace, anyway). I typically run 8.5 min miles for my training runs. I do run marathons & have just started trying ultras (longest so far is 34 miles).

I have just started (after being on the gluten free diet for a little over a year) gaining the weight I need to get my hormone levels regular... Still have a few pounds to go. I have to eat almost continuously (it seems) to even maintain my weight while running as much as I do.

What time of day do you usually run? I try to get out before work in the morning (although this is when I have the most problems with "the runs"), but - especially in the winter - sometimes go run on the treadmill at the gym after work instead.

9 miles in 65 min, huh? I sometimes run that fast, but not too often. My best marathon time is 3:16 (7:30 min/mile pace). If you have the time, you might try going longer and slower and seeing how you feel.

• 3 weeks later...
oateater Newbie

Hi - the conversation has shifted a bit, but thought I could add one more powerbar suggestion.

All the GLUCERNA bars are gluten free. Because they are made for diabetics they don't cause the same sugar spike I have had with other bars. Small, yummy, and relatively inexpensive too!

velo-mike Rookie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I am a 37 yr old Celiac competitive cyclist (Mountain Bike, Road, Track and Cyclocross) who also runs for cross training. I have recently started using this Vegan meal replacement and Energy bar as a supplement. I find it works well.

It may only be available in Canada though. May want to contact the company if interested.

www.myvega.com

Mike

watkinson Apprentice

I run 3 to 4 times a week on my treadmill. I strap 3 pound weights to my ankles, and run with a slight incline on the treadmill the whole time. I go about 3 miles. Afterwards I get on the eliptical (sp) for about 20 minutes with the most resistance and speed I can do. I have worked myself up to this slowly over the last year.

I suffered terribly from fibromyalgia and peripheral neuropothy (numbness and tingling in hands and feet). I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years and in that time all symptoms except those 2 have completely gone away. The fibro and PN are much better but my legs still feel like they are filled with boiling cement sometimes making it extremely painful to run. It is slowly getting better as I get stronger and stronger. I take 2 sublingual B-vitamoms every day along with 2 multi vitamins and 2 omega 3 tabs. I make sure I get enough calcium, magnesium, and potassium. And stick religiously, absolutely to being gluten-free. Even a small mistake and I feel terribly achey, and exhausted for several weeks. I also get the dry mouth and throat thing you were talking about.

Maybe you need more iron (red meat). When I travel I always stick strickly gluten-free. I find that there is always something I can eat. We travel a lot and I have never had a problem. Most restaurants can make you a steak, a hamburger, or a piece of fish easily. just ask for plain, no seasonings, and cooked in a fresh pan.

Stick with protein bars that you KNOW for sure are gluten-free. If not, try a snickers, or some trail mix that you make yourself. COSTCO has an fabulous one that is gluten-free.

Good luck, Wendy :)

Archived