- - - - -

Celiac Runners

• Please log in to reply

34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

I've had trouble finding my pace lately. Even when I run with a team member who is at a comfortable pace, I feel exhausted. My throat also burns, no matter how hydrated I am. Please help!!!!

Thank you,

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Alexolua

Alexolua

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

Hey Jill.

This thread may help you.

http://www.glutenfre...?showtopic=2173

Think it covers a few things for athletes, the energy issue is one of them!

I'd love to have actual advice, but errmm.. haven't felt healthy enough to run for a long time now, lol. So look on the bright side.. you are running! =D

#3 CarolynM

CarolynM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

Just a guess - maybe not enough carbohydrates. All my favorite carbs were wheat. Also a friend in my running club had some of the same feelings when he was on the Atkins diet.

#4 curiousJ

curiousJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:44 AM

Hi - I was recently diagnosed with celiacs & have just started the gluten-free diet. I'm also a marathon runner (and anemic). I find that I'm ok with long, moderately paced runs, but that hills & short, fast runs are really tough. I think that if you just keep up with the running, eventually you'll start feeling better.

I have a question and a comment... First the comment - I contacted the Balance Bar people, who told me that many of their products do not contain any gluten, per se. They are, however, produced in a facility where wheat products are processed as well. I figure that this is probably ok (am I correct? I don't feel bad when I eat them certainly...). Also, I go on travel a lot for work & was wondering if it's better to stick religiously to the gluten-free diet or to "cheat" if it's between that and going hungry. Any comments?

Thanks.

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:49 AM

Definitely better to stick to the diet religiously than to cheat.......NEVER cheat......even a few crumbs could throw your intestines off for weeks, regardless of whether you feel it or not. I run a bit, but not enough to consider myself qualified for this topic. I've found that my only problem is that after starting the diet, I tried not to run so maybe I'd have an easier time gaining weight and now I need to rebuild everything so I can get back my endurance.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:35 AM

I have a question and a comment... First the comment - I contacted the Balance Bar people, who told me that many of their products do not contain any gluten, per se. They are, however, produced in a facility where wheat products are processed as well. I figure that this is probably ok (am I correct? I don't feel bad when I eat them certainly...). Also, I go on travel a lot for work & was wondering if it's better to stick religiously to the gluten-free diet or to "cheat" if it's between that and going hungry. Any comments?

Thanks.

I've had some "bar type food" that had no gluten in the ingredients, but was made in a facility that processes wheat, and did get sick. I think the key here is that "results will be very UNpredictable". Maybe one day they were running a bunch of the gluten-free flavors, maybe another day they didn't. Maybe one day they were running gluten-free and non-gluten-free flavors side by side, maybe one day they didn't. Maybe someone dropped a bag of flour near the ingredients for the non-gluten-free bar, maybe there was some extra wind in the factory, maybe the non-gluten-free bars were extra wet and picked up the flour more easily. It's just too many variables. I tend to avoid those types of products, 'cause I already got sick from one.

I travel for work a lot too (and let me tell you, Ft. Wayne is NOT very gluten-free-friendly ;-) ), but it is vital that you do NOT cheat. Getting sick on a business trip is never fun (and I don't get very sick either), and if you become more sensitize the gluten the longer you're on the diet, you'll not be able to completely predict your reaction through the years.

Plan ahead and find out what grocery stores and restaurants are in the area that can accomodate you, and make and pack your own snack food. If staying overnight, find residence-inn-type places that have kitchens so you can do some basic cooking on your own. And did I mention brining plenty of your own snack food/lunch food with you? (This is vital for those plane trips!)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

Balance Bars do have gluten in them.

2 flavors of Geni Soy bars are gluten free - the choc penut and the yogurt penut.
I believe that all low carb genisoy bars are gluten-free. BUt Geni soy will send you a NICE PPT slide with all of the gluten free products if you email them. The regular geni soy bars are high in processed sugar.

Think Thin makes a lot of bars that the low carb and gluten free. But manitol (sugar alcohol) can cause havic to your stomach too.

There are some vegitarian bars on the market that are gluten-free and I believe that the Laura Bar is gluten-free too (based on ingredients) - but I have not contacted them yet.

Gu, Hammer Gel, Ultima, and GU H2O are gluten-free

the amemia will make you tired -- so get to the bottom of that first - go see a hemotologist:) - the amemia is causing you to be exhausted during running. Remember that iron is life - it carried O2 to your muscles. Without iron we will all be dead. I can promise you that if you get out of the anemic stage then you will feel 100% better. It is like NIGHT AND DAY. You will have more energy all day long and during running.:)

LB
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

#8 MichelleC

MichelleC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:53 AM

Lara Bars are gluten-free. Says so on the bars and are now made in a gluten-free plant.

#9 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:50 AM

Many Balance Bars are gluten free. I called the company and they were bought out by Kraft 1-2 years ago. Kraft has a pretty strict cleaning process they go through for their equipment (I used to do research on industrial lubrications...now that is an exciting topic...*cough*) Anyway, knowing what I do about them, I feel pretty comfortable eating something from them even if it's made where gluten filled items are also made. But, because they have a full disclosure policy, they mention that the processing is in the same places on the label.

Anyway, I use the Balance bars fairly often and my highschooler has them all the time (he keeps one with him so if he's somewhere and starved, which he is 90% of the time, he can have something without having to worry.) So far, neither of us has had a problem with them. I suppose we might at some point, but then, the last time I had a reaction was from cheese, of all things (getting complacent <_< ) I react fairly quickly (within 30 minutes I'm omw to having a killer headache or just a migraine.)

That said...all my kids (and I) really like the Genisoy, Extreme, PB bar best of all we've had. Better than the regular Genisoy PB one, even. I just haven't been able to find where I can buy it by the case yet (and without tons of added shipping charges.)

#10 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:54 AM

Oh! I also want to thank you all for posting other types of gluten-free bars! Variety is so nice. :)

#11 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:43 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info! Yeah!--Celiac Athletes! I'm a road cyclist, I'm not a runner, but both are endurance sports. I've run into the same problem, Jill, with maintaining my energy. I've found that if I drink a watered down gluten-free sports drink (w/o refined sugars) throughout my rides (every 10 mins. +/-) that I can maintain my energy levels better (I used to do the watered down gluten-free sports drink just towards the ends of rides). I also found a fruit bar that I eat on long rides, they are pear bars made by Gorge Delights out of Oregon (potassium and no refined sugars). I've had trouble with a lot of the energy bars, even if they are gluten free, I just can't eat them on a ride, they upset my stomach. The fruit bars work for me though. I eat my rice, gluten-free breads, or wild rice before my rides.

I agree that iron can also be a problem. Generally I can get away with just a multivitamin with iron. But I donated blood awhile ago and it really wiped me out, a nurse recommended time-release iron supplements at night with orange juice.

Jill, and other athletes: Are you always hungry? I've passed that "empty gut feeling" stage of healing, but lately I'm so hungry!!!!!!!!!! I'm at a pretty stable weight, just hungry.

Take Care!

#12 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:44 AM

veggf and friends,

So nice to see one of my older posts getting some feedback! Thank you!!!

I've been steadily improving since August. I had been so ill during the preceding months that I couldn't start conditioning for cross country until two weeks before I returned to college.

I have been doing everything properly for running and the gluten-free diet (hydration, gluten sleuthing, etc). I feel that I've been running slower, but I guess that my pace will improve as time passes ;)

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

I eat the two flavors of gluten-free genisoy bars. Some Atkins bars are also gluten-free. Despite being for people on a diet, they have a good amount of fat and protein, I believe, and I don't think there's too much sugar.

#14 SofiEmiMom

SofiEmiMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:24 PM

I was an avid runner prior to falling very ill..diagnosed just over a year ago with gluten intolerance. I'm finally feeling ready to run again but am concerned about keeping my weight on. What do you runners eat to load up on carbs?

#15 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:18 PM

sweet potatoes, brown rice, and beans....pinto, black, fat free refried, gluten-free waffles, P&J on rice bread
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: