This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Christmas Dinner Menus And Recipes

Sissy

Sissy Rookie

Hi,

I really loved the Thanksgiving thread and got so much help from all the tips and recipes that I thought it would be fun to share menus and recipes for Christmas too.

Dinner is at my house and we are having our main dinner on Christmas Eve. I am making a huge prime rib roast with roasted fingerling potatos, carrots and baby onions, I have converted a recipe using cornstarch instead of flour to make creamed spinach and I'm making a salad of spring greens, chopped apples, toasted walnuts with raspberry vinagrette dressing and blue cheese crumbles for the gluten eaters and probably goat cheese for me.

What are you having? Sissy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Sissy!

We have Christmas Day dinner here. I make: Roast pork, German potato salad (my old recipe, substituting potato starch for the flour), carrots, homemade chunky applesauce, tossed salad, tomato and mozzerela salad, rolls.

For dessert, pumpkin pie and christmas cookies.

Merry Christmas :D

Sissy Rookie

That menu sounds outrageous...boy, do I love German potato salad! Was planning to make regular potato salad for New Years day, but the thought of German potato salad with our baked ham is very inviting.

When I was in Sam's Club last week to buy my ham I was thrilled that right on the sign for the pre-sliced hams it said "Gluten Free" Yeah! I forgot to include our Christmas dessert to my menu....my daughter is making a flour free decadent chocolate cake and we are having that topped with peppermint ice cream with hot fudge sauce..Sissy

lane Newbie

I thought we weren't suppose to eat blue cheese because it was made with bread mold? :unsure: Have I given this up for nothing?

Lane

Lisa Mentor

Blue cheese should not be a problem for celiacs. The bread mold starter is no longer relevant to day.

missy'smom Collaborator

I was waiting for someone to ask. I liked the Thanksgiving thread too. Just finalized my menue yesterday so here it is.

Ham- a country ham because it's natural and gluten free and we moved this year and thought it would be fun to try a local specialty

Cranberry Sauce with Orange

Green Bean and Butter Bean Salad with Tarragon( a Martha Stewart recipie)

Dutchess or Twice Baked Potatoes with cheddar

Grandma's Cheese Cake with nut crust and maybe swirled with Blueberry Sauce

Sissy Rookie

I had read that blue cheese contained wheat in the starter and is listed as an ingredient on the label of every blue cheese I have seen, so I thought I would make up the salad plates in advance to serving them...I will sprinkle blue cheese on everyone elses salad and will probably use a little goat cheese on mine. I will surely miss the flavor of the blue cheese on this salad but don't know what else to do. I don't want everyone else to miss out on the yummy combination of apples, walnuts and blue cheese when it is so simple to make mine gluten free. Sissy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mn farm gal Apprentice

All this food is making me hungry! Great looking menues. I have not really thought of this until today when I seen this thread.

Sissy could you share your salad recipe? Is your salad dressing homemade? I have been looking for a recipe of that type also. Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays everyone!

sparkles Contributor

The walnut etc salad sounds delicious..... I am making a prime rib also but am thinking about searing it in a hot oven and then putting it in the crock pot as I have to take it to my son's house. Anyone ever tried this????? I thought that it might work as I cook it in a slow oven after searing it in a hot oven.... any thoughts on this one?????

jennyj Collaborator

We always have the same thing but this year with a few modifications.

Ham

Scalloped potatoes

Corn

Veggie trays

Rolls

Desserts

PennyG Newbie

Everyone's menus sound so good!

My father & I are cooking for our bunch --

Spiral-cut ham

Turkey breast -- gluten-free/Corn free

Potatoes

Carrots

Rolls -- for gluten eaters

Cranberry relish -- gluten-free/CF

Cheesecake pie -- gluten eaters

Flourless chocolate cake -- gluten-free/CF

My mom was so funny -- "you & your father are cooking so you can eat!" It's a lot easier for me to cook so that I don't have to worry about what "may" be going into the food, plus, they can't keep up with my intolerances. :P

I'm much happier with this menu because it was going to be spaghetti or lasagne, which I can't have even if it is gluten free (nightshades).

Sissy Rookie

For Thanksgiving I made a killer pumpkin cheesecake. For the crust I used Pamelas gingersnaps, a little granulated sugar and butter...just put them all in the food processor and in a minute they were perfect for the crust. You could use any kind of gluten free cookies and any gluten free cheesecake recipe you want.

I really don't have a recipe for the salad but I will tell you what I use. I will use 2 bags of mixed spring greens, 4 apples...2 mcIntosh and 2 gala, which I chop ..that way I get tart and sweet...I toast about 2 cup of walnuts in a skillet, shaking and stirring continually so they don't burn. The dressing I use is a regular dressing that just happens to be gluten free..it is Girards Raspberry Vinagrette. I mix the greens and chopped apples and top it with walnuts, and about 1/2 cup of blue cheese crumbles and add the dressing last...sometimes I throw a few raspberries on top to make it even prettier..I just love this salad and it has enough flavor to be a great starter for a prime rib dinner. I will make the salad plates for everyone and will use goats cheese for my salad. Sissy

dragonmom Apprentice

Sissy, according to several others Athenos Blue Cheese is Gluten free, I tried it and seem to be ok. Some of the labels say wheat but others don't. I do love the taste and there is no substitute. :blink: Brenda

Sissy Rookie

Brenda honey, thank you so much, I agree there is just no substitute for that flavor and will look for Athena Blue Cheese the next time I go to the market. Sissy

Sissy Rookie

Brenda honey, thank you so much, I agree there is just no substitute for that flavor and will look for Athena Blue Cheese the next time I go to the market. Sissy

teankerbell Apprentice

We are having:

Prime Rib Roast

Spiral Ham

Corn

Carrots

Mashed and Baked Potatoes

Salad

gluten-free Brownies

Veggie and Fruit Tray

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Christmas dinner is at my house again this year. There will be six of us (possibly 10, I'm not sure yet). We'll have: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli, carrots, tradition (which is a whipped cream, marshmallow, pineapple chunks, grapes concoction that I never eat but is a tradition in my husband's family), crescent rolls (recipe from another forum), pumpkin and apple pies. The whole meal will be gluten-free. My MIL will probably bring some cranberries.

jaten Enthusiast
Christmas dinner is at my house again this year. There will be six of us (possibly 10, I'm not sure yet). We'll have: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli, carrots, tradition (which is a whipped cream, marshmallow, pineapple chunks, grapes concoction that I never eat but is a tradition in my husband's family), crescent rolls (recipe from another forum), pumpkin and apple pies. The whole meal will be gluten-free. My MIL will probably bring some cranberries.

Please share your menu for gluten-free crescent rolls :rolleyes:

EVERYBODY's menus sound delicious! I'm getting hungry thinking about yummy good food!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

MrsP's Yeast Rolls (gluten free)

1 packet yeast

1/8 cup warm water

3/4 cups lukewarm milk (scald then cool)

1/8 cup sugar

3/4 tsp salt

1 egg

3 Tbs shortening

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (up to 1 cup extra reserved IF needed) [below]

1 1/2 tsps xanthan gum

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour with xanthan gum, set aside. Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar . In a 2 1/2-quart bowl add milk, salt, eggs, shortening and 1 1/2 cup of flour with xanthan gum mixed. Beat on low speed scraping bowl constantly (30 seconds). Beat on medium speed scraping bowl occasionally (2 minutes). Turn dough onto well (use out of the reserved flour) floured surface. Roll around lightly to coat with flour. Gently roll dough 1/2 inch thick with floured rolling pin. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter. Cover and let rise until doubled (40-50 minutes). Bake in a preheated oven 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.

*MrsP's Mock Brown & Serve Rolls: You can roll into balls and make divided rolls in a muffin tin. Brush tops with melted butter before baking.

**MrsP's Crescent Rolls: Roll out into 2 circles and cut into wedge pieces. Roll up like crescent rolls and bake after rising time. Make sure to have a well floured surface to roll these out on or they will stick and be messy. Brush the dough with melted butter before rolling and after rising. Roll loosely and they will have seperate layers like the canned rolls.

***MrsP's Sweet Breakfast Crescents: brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnimon and sugar before rolling into shape. Brush tops with melted butter. (you could put a few pecans and raisins in )

Gluten Free Baking Mix

Sweet Rice Flour (2 parts) 6 cups

Potato Starch (2/3 part) 2 cups

Tapioca Flour (1/3 part) 1 cup

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'll be making:

chicken

gluten-free dressing

potatoes

vegetables, not sure what yet

I'm also going to make beef and chicken meat pie

Kibbie Contributor
Hi,

I really loved the Thanksgiving thread and got so much help from all the tips and recipes that I thought it would be fun to share menus and recipes for Christmas too.

Dinner is at my house and we are having our main dinner on Christmas Eve. I am making a huge prime rib roast with roasted fingerling potatos, carrots and baby onions, I have converted a recipe using cornstarch instead of flour to make creamed spinach and I'm making a salad of spring greens, chopped apples, toasted walnuts with raspberry vinagrette dressing and blue cheese crumbles for the gluten eaters and probably goat cheese for me.

We do a crow roast of pork with wild rice stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravey, gluten free Lefse, and grean beans. Then just a lot of cookies (gluten-free ones) for the rest of the night.

Archived