#16 jboom

jboom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

:o :o :o gluten-free Beer! :rolleyes:
I used to brew my own but gave it up and turned to wine making. Where can I get a recipe?
As far as getting someone to stop drinking it ... get him on this website, let him read some of the statistics on the likelihood of cancer among other things in his future. Having watched several loved ones die of cancer in my life, I don't care to go through it or put my family through it.
It's just something you have to do. gluten-free all the way! I don't even consider knowingly cheating. Just my $.02.
I sure would like that recipe though.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:24 PM

Sometimes a "hard cider" can taste good. I've had no problems with Hornsby's and there are plenty of others on the market you could try.

I think Hornsby's is one of the few hard ciders that are NOT gluten-free, tho i'm not positive where I'd read that.

Streakytoosle - i bet all those pubs have hard cider, and one thing in its favor as a beer replacement is that it feels similar - same kind of pint glass, same heft, similar color. Friends of mine from the UK are always more familiar w/ cider than most in the US, and i think it's available at nearly all pubs there and quite common to see cider drinkers alongside beer drinkers.
Given all that, i'm also positive he JUST WANTS A #**%$@ BEER ! Unfortunately, he can't foresee the life ahead for a celiac ingesting gluten. It probably wouldn't kill him, just make him wish it had.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#18 pturse

pturse

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:47 PM

I thought Hornsby was gluten free??

Also, according to Amstel Light, they are gluten free, they do not use wheat in making their beer and any malt is burned off in the process. I had a rep tell me directly. That may be a choice for someone who is addicted to beer. It is also the lowest in calories! :) I drink w/o problems but I always prefer wine first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: