This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Dr. Prescribed Zelnorm

super-sally888

super-sally888 Contributor

Finally saw my dr. today - about 5 weeks late. The test results only showed IBD (chronic inflammation) - which he also saw in the endoscopy, but only showed in the biopsy from the colonoscopy. He said the IBD could be treated with antibiotics in case it is caused by bacteria. They didn't see bacteria or amoeba with the biopsy. He said at least anything serious has been ruled out! No more for him to do...

Then he said it could all be caused by stress and prescribed zelnorm. I said isn't this for IBS. He said yes! And admitted that IBS is a trash basket diagnosis (the blight of having an educated patient!). I said I wanted to find out the causes rather than treat symptoms. Asked him about food intolerances. He wasn't really interested but said I could see an allergologist if I wanted (on my own). Said they don't test for celiac here. Was up to me to take zelnorm if I wanted and if symptoms were unbearable.

Am so frustrated! I feel strongly that food is involved. Got really itchy after lunch (no wheat or related as far as I could tell). Wish I knew what was going on.

I guess I am really on my own on this. I don't want to do really strict elimination diet... will be difficult. But maybe no choice if I can't get anywhere with this. Any ideas? Stomach pain and D is improved with no gluten (though I guess could still be getting contaminated).. but still having some problems. Having major energy crashes after eating... particularly lunch times (that lead in muscles feeling). Am so useless in the afternoons - is very demoralising.. though seem to feel better by evening...

Now I am definitely stressed! Anyway, I will get there...

Have a nice weekend!

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Sally, do you still consume dairy and/or soy? Those are the most likely other foods to be causing problems. If eliminating those won't help, try taking all lectins out of your diet. Including all the nightshades. To find out more about lectins, follow the link in my signature.

I find that especially eggs, rice and potatoes give me diarrhea and joint pain besides gluten foods (and gluten is a lectin).

Really, you have no choice but trying an elimination diet at this point. Forget about your doctor. He is like most of them, no time to really care and find out what wrong, let's mask symptoms instead. Easier, and makes them (and the big pharmaceutical companies) more money.

You are in control of your body and what you eat. You have choices, make the right ones. You don't need your doctor to try an elimination diet. True, it's easier if your doctor cooperates and guides you. But you can do it on your own, I did it, and many others here as well, and we managed to figure out our intolerances.

Don't get discouraged, and, most importantly, NEVER give up! You're worth the effort.

chrissy Collaborator

i had to laugh to myself when i read this---not at your problem, but at the doc saying they don't check for celiac here??!! since when can't ANYPLACE not check for celiac. sounds like what he was really saying was "i don't think you have celiac, so i don't want to check for it." how weird!! i agree with ursula---try an elimination diet----and when you find info on how to proceed with it----will you please pass it on to me. i do not have celiac, but i think that some of my problems could be food related, too.

Hi Chrissy & Ursula,

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I think I shall have to do an elimination diet. I think I will start with the most obvious suspects and avoid; all processed/colored junk foods/candy, gluten, dairy (except eggs), soy, seafood. This is so I can still have enough choice of foods (meats, fruit, vegetables, rice). I think one has to persist for a few weeks, and then add in foods one by one. With several days between each food being added in. At the same time I will also keep a food and symptom diary to note any symptoms or reactions.

I am an Australian living in Philippines. Apparently they really don't test for celiac here. It is not a widely known/recognised problem in Asia. I guess I should be grateful that my Dr. (maybe soon to be my ex-dr) has even heard of it. But why even mention it if he is not going to test for it, or give any advice (other than now he thinks I am hypochondriac, IBS).

I guess like they also don't test for parasites / bacterial infections and just give antibiotics... Any thoughts on use of antibiotic just in case the chronic inflammation seen with the biopsy is caused by bacterial infection??? I have not filled this prescription. Am uncomfortable with using antibiotics on a "just in case" basis. Could bacteria be the cause of inflammation throughout the GI tract??

Chrissy, I will do some more research on this elimination diet and reply further.

Sally

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

If it is gluten that you are reacting to, then you need to be aware that most soy sauces contain wheat (sorry if I'm repeating what you already know--it took me a while to figure that one out). What are your typical lunches? I tend to react the same way if I have a high-carb (even if the carbs are gluten-free), low-protein lunch.

It must be so frustrating to hear, "Sorry, we don't test for that disease here, we don't care that you might actually HAVE it, we don't test for that here, Here--take some drugs for something else!"

At least, you found this board, which offers more knowledge and support than you'd get from most US doctors!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Sally, if you really want to be sure, and can afford it, I would suggest you get tested by Open Original Shared Link. They will do testing world wide. I know, it would be pricey to send your samples back by courier, but it would be worth it.

With the elimination diet, be aware that eggs and rice CAN be causing intolerances (I am very intolerant to both). So, if you don't feel better within a couple of weeks, you might have to eliminate those as well. I know it would be a bummer, but better than feeling sick.

Ursula,

Thanks. Wow, I didn't even bother looking up enterolab, assuming it is just for US. Ok - will check out and see how expensive and if it is feasible. At least I would know - for my own purposes!

Fingers crossed the rice and eggs are ok... else things will be really limited....

Fiddle-Faddle. Thanks for your input. No soy sauce for me... already knew that one. Lunches, food, mostly rice based now.... Guess am still slipping up somewhere - or maybe is something else... anyway, step by step I will work this out. At least now I am on the right track for finding out the culprits and making it right.

Thank goodness for this board.

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hi Ursula - thanks for your input,

I ordered enterolab celiac full panel today. It is expensive! But worth it to know if I am on the right track.

I know I'll get the package ok by courier, I guess. I hope I can send it out ok from Phils. I guess they know it will be ok or they wouldn't allow international clients...

Me just being paranoid...

What a day! My secretary is pregnant about 8 months - has preeclampsia... praying for her.. possibly emergency c-section coming up!

S

• 1 year later...
Lan Rookie
Am so frustrated! I feel strongly that food is involved. Got really itchy after lunch (no wheat or related as far as I could tell). Wish I knew what was going on.

I guess I am really on my own on this.

Sally

Dear Sally,

Don't feel like you are alone, you aren't! I have Both Celiac Disease and Dermatitis Herpetiformis (celiac disease/DH), that went untreated and suffering for more than three decades (plenty of hospital time!). I live in Talisay City, Cebu (Philippines for the rest of the readers) and what I have learned since it was discovered has really changed my life.

You will be hard pressed to find a doctor in the Philippines that knows anything about Celiac. Even though Spanish blood flows in almost every Filipino! In the USA and Canada I have Filipino Friends who are Celiacs and although Filipinos react a little differently, it is estimated that one in 97 has Celiac - doctors just choose to ignore it!

I am an American, but I have a Filipino adopted son, and one of my workers has a sickly son, both are affected by what we call Celiac Reactive Gluten because we find in the Philippines "Gluten" is usually confused with MSG (Ajinomoto or "betsin") which it is not.

Don't give up, it is worth it to find solutions! It is harder here. We do not have the labeling laws that Australia and the USA have, so you have to be wiser. We have started a list and we in the Philippines are helping each other. My health has improved greatly in the last few months as we discovered more and more Pinoy ways of dealing with Gluten.

I will send you a PM and maybe we can help each other.

Take Care,

Lan

PS: Most of the Readers here have no idea what it is like living in the Philippines. To get an idea, imagine living on the moon with an internet connection and a computer "doctor" whose software hadn't been updated in a long time! Ask an average doctor about Celiac and you will often get a largely blank look...

Hang in there Sally!

cyberprof Enthusiast
Dear Sally,

Don't feel like you are alone, you aren't! I have Both Celiac Disease and Dermatitis Herpetiformis (celiac disease/DH), that went untreated and suffering for more than three decades (plenty of hospital time!). I live in Talisay City, Cebu (Philippines for the rest of the readers) and what I have learned since it was discovered has really changed my life.

You will be hard pressed to find a doctor in the Philippines that knows anything about Celiac. Even though Spanish blood flows in almost every Filipino! In the USA and Canada I have Filipino Friends who are Celiacs and although Filipinos react a little differently, it is estimated that one in 97 has Celiac - doctors just choose to ignore it!

I am an American, but I have a Filipino adopted son, and one of my workers has a sickly son, both are affected by what we call Celiac Reactive Gluten because we find in the Philippines "Gluten" is usually confused with MSG (Ajinomoto or "betsin") which it is not.

Don't give up, it is worth it to find solutions! It is harder here. We do not have the labeling laws that Australia and the USA have, so you have to be wiser. We have started a list and we in the Philippines are helping each other. My health has improved greatly in the last few months as we discovered more and more Pinoy ways of dealing with Gluten.

I will send you a PM and maybe we can help each other.

Take Care,

Lan

PS: Most of the Readers here have no idea what it is like living in the Philippines. To get an idea, imagine living on the moon with an internet connection and a computer "doctor" whose software hadn't been updated in a long time! Ask an average doctor about Celiac and you will often get a largely blank look...

Hang in there Sally!

Lan, how sweet of you to post and be so helpful! It makes me happy to see such great caring for fellow celiacs.

~Laura

loraleena Contributor

Beware of Zelnorm. It has been pulled of the shelves in the US due to serious side effects. I agree, try the elimination diet.

Lan Rookie
I agree, try the elimination diet.

I went to complete raw food / live food (rabbit food?) and that proved everything to me! I feel like a gluten magnet! Standing on a sidewalk near one of the many open air bakeshops is enough to cause me a reaction! There is flour in the air! (And on my hair and hands too!)

I use the Bragg Liquid Aminos (a soy sauce taste imported from the states) with some Natural Apple Cider vinegar and Calamansi (also called: China Orange, Acid Orange, Tropical Lemon, calamondin or use lemon juice if available). Over veggies it is great!

For a while it is strictly fruit and veggies. They say it may take a few months, but for me it was much quicker. In a few weeks I knew Gluten was ruining my life! After you are sure you are reactive to something, then start adding things (the things you want) one by one, eggs, milk, peanuts, and things that you suspect have gluten. Be careful of ALL grains at first. Likewise anything made from grains like rice noodles (made on the same machine with the wheat flour noodles!). Do not rely on the government or manufacturer - this isn't America. I went into a full blown Gluten reaction eating native Cocoa Chocolate. I found out that some vendors add flour to increase profits! Now we only get our Cacao from a secure source (my mother-in-law!)

Likewise if you are out of the USA - be careful of ALL processed foods. The same brand of Ketchup that is safe in the USA may have plenty of Gluten in the Philippines.

In the Philippines there is a tiny Open Original Shared Link on the Kubo 4 Community site. It is not much and just starting, but it is still the only Philippine resource there is. If you live in Vietnam or another country where Celiac or Gluten Free information is almost non-existent - try to change that by giving something that will help your Celiac / Gluten free community in your country.

Help someone else... When we who suffer start sharing our success and failures then all benefit.

I happen to meet a Celiac online who is living in Vietnam - it is hard but we are in the same "region" and I told him the best he can do is educate the local doctors so that you can make a Motivated Celiac Club or local group. With Gluten Free, by helping others, we really help ourselves.

As Tiny Tim says every Christmas,

God Bless Us Every One!

-Lan

Archived