12 replies to this topic

#1 es2443

es2443

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

Hey Everyone! Perviously the dietician at my college told me that most of the lunch meat they serve is gluten free however, I was talking to my aunt who eats gluten free and she told me that only a few brands have gluten free cold cuts. Is this true? Does anyone know of safe brands of lunch meat?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

All of Boar's Head meats and cheeses are gluten free and the best that I have had, as well as Hillshire Farms. I believe Oscar Meyer is, but I don't buy it.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 es2443

es2443

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for responding. I thought Boar's Head was gluten free but I wasn't sure. Has anyone heard about the brand Berk's or the Perdue Turkey? Those are the brands my college has and the dietician said that I can eat the smoked and roasted turkey, the ham, and the swiss and provelone cheese. Sometimes I don't think she knows what shes talking about though.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

I would suggest that you e-mail www.Perdue.com and they will most likely have a "contact us" that you can click and request a list of their gluten free products. Most large companies will get back to you fairly quickly. I am assuming that you are in the US and most likely on Christmas break. That may be a good time to write some companies to get a portforlio of their safe products.

But please remember, often companies change their ingredience to "improve" <_< their products. So their list will be only good for a period of time before you need to re-check.

Good luck at school and if we can help further, always feel free to ask.

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

Don't forget that when you order your cold cuts, ask that they clean the slicers to avoid cross contamination.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 new to LI

new to LI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

applegate is the brand i use, never had a problem
good luck

#7 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hormel has an "all natural" line and right on the package it says gluten free.
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#8 dragonmom

dragonmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:50 AM

Dietz and Watson are gluten free
Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts

#9 bklynceliac

bklynceliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

I eat a lot of cold cuts. I believe about 99% of Boar's Head are gluten-free (they have info on their website), but I don't eat deli counter stuff because of CC concerns. Oscar Meyer makes a pretty good "deli-style" variety that will label any allergens - so far I have yet to find any. Also Sara Lee and Hillshire Farms will label, and the Hormel Naturals are a good option too. Carl Budding is also gluten-free, but kind of nasty in my opinion. Basically, most packaged meats are gluten-free, you just need to check each particular companies policy and carefully read ingredients. In my mind, the slight improvement in quality by getting fresh-sliced at the deli counter is not worth the contamination risk.
Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)
Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

#10 mrg8610

mrg8610

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:25 AM

Has anyone tried the pre-packaged cold cuts? They seem to be packaged by the manufacturer (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Mayer etc) and are in re-usable plastic containers and are kept near the hot dogs in the store I go to. They are good to keep in the house because the "Use by" date is normally a few months out. Anyway, since I always get such a hard time from the store about cleaning the slicer, I have been buying these. I am assuming that they are sliced at the manufacturer with all the same meats and maybe won't have CC issues. Does anyone else use them successfully??

#11 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:31 AM

Has anyone tried the pre-packaged cold cuts? They seem to be packaged by the manufacturer (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Mayer etc) and are in re-usable plastic containers and are kept near the hot dogs in the store I go to. They are good to keep in the house because the "Use by" date is normally a few months out. Anyway, since I always get such a hard time from the store about cleaning the slicer, I have been buying these. I am assuming that they are sliced at the manufacturer with all the same meats and maybe won't have CC issues. Does anyone else use them successfully??

I never buy cold cuts from the Deli. I always buy the pre-packaged stuff.

If the deli people are busy, they don't always clean the slicer to my satisfaction, so I just never order food there.

I purchase Hormel, Hillshire Farms, Hebrew National, Kroger, Oscar Meyer Bolgna and Carl Buddig deli meats.

#12 Anonymousgurl

Anonymousgurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

Im sorry, I only had time to scan the posts on here, im not sure if someone already answered this question...but are there any ORGANIC turkey lunchmeats that are gluten free out there? I had been eating Diesel turkey lunch meat and reacting horribly to it, even though it didn't have gluten on the ingredients list. So F.Y.I. everyone- watch out for that one!

#13 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

I believe Applegate Farms is organic.

Also-peace-if you are recently gluten free, your body is probably still healing. You may be reacting to "safe" foods because your body is still damaged by Celiac and it just isn't working right yet. For many people it takes months. So, just because you are potentially reacting to something now doesn't mean that it is necessarily gluten. Just wanted to throw that out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: