Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cold Cuts/lunch Meat

13 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone! Perviously the dietician at my college told me that most of the lunch meat they serve is gluten free however, I was talking to my aunt who eats gluten free and she told me that only a few brands have gluten free cold cuts. Is this true? Does anyone know of safe brands of lunch meat?

Ads by Google:

All of Boar's Head meats and cheeses are gluten free and the best that I have had, as well as Hillshire Farms. I believe Oscar Meyer is, but I don't buy it.

Thanks for responding. I thought Boar's Head was gluten free but I wasn't sure. Has anyone heard about the brand Berk's or the Perdue Turkey? Those are the brands my college has and the dietician said that I can eat the smoked and roasted turkey, the ham, and the swiss and provelone cheese. Sometimes I don't think she knows what shes talking about though.

I would suggest that you e-mail www.Perdue.com and they will most likely have a "contact us" that you can click and request a list of their gluten free products. Most large companies will get back to you fairly quickly. I am assuming that you are in the US and most likely on Christmas break. That may be a good time to write some companies to get a portforlio of their safe products.

But please remember, often companies change their ingredience to "improve" <_< their products. So their list will be only good for a period of time before you need to re-check.

Good luck at school and if we can help further, always feel free to ask.

Lisa

Don't forget that when you order your cold cuts, ask that they clean the slicers to avoid cross contamination.

applegate is the brand i use, never had a problem

good luck

Hormel has an "all natural" line and right on the package it says gluten free.

I eat a lot of cold cuts. I believe about 99% of Boar's Head are gluten-free (they have info on their website), but I don't eat deli counter stuff because of CC concerns. Oscar Meyer makes a pretty good "deli-style" variety that will label any allergens - so far I have yet to find any. Also Sara Lee and Hillshire Farms will label, and the Hormel Naturals are a good option too. Carl Budding is also gluten-free, but kind of nasty in my opinion. Basically, most packaged meats are gluten-free, you just need to check each particular companies policy and carefully read ingredients. In my mind, the slight improvement in quality by getting fresh-sliced at the deli counter is not worth the contamination risk.

Has anyone tried the pre-packaged cold cuts? They seem to be packaged by the manufacturer (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Mayer etc) and are in re-usable plastic containers and are kept near the hot dogs in the store I go to. They are good to keep in the house because the "Use by" date is normally a few months out. Anyway, since I always get such a hard time from the store about cleaning the slicer, I have been buying these. I am assuming that they are sliced at the manufacturer with all the same meats and maybe won't have CC issues. Does anyone else use them successfully??

Has anyone tried the pre-packaged cold cuts? They seem to be packaged by the manufacturer (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Mayer etc) and are in re-usable plastic containers and are kept near the hot dogs in the store I go to. They are good to keep in the house because the "Use by" date is normally a few months out. Anyway, since I always get such a hard time from the store about cleaning the slicer, I have been buying these. I am assuming that they are sliced at the manufacturer with all the same meats and maybe won't have CC issues. Does anyone else use them successfully??

I never buy cold cuts from the Deli. I always buy the pre-packaged stuff.

If the deli people are busy, they don't always clean the slicer to my satisfaction, so I just never order food there.

I purchase Hormel, Hillshire Farms, Hebrew National, Kroger, Oscar Meyer Bolgna and Carl Buddig deli meats.

Im sorry, I only had time to scan the posts on here, im not sure if someone already answered this question...but are there any ORGANIC turkey lunchmeats that are gluten free out there? I had been eating Diesel turkey lunch meat and reacting horribly to it, even though it didn't have gluten on the ingredients list. So F.Y.I. everyone- watch out for that one!

I believe Applegate Farms is organic.

Also-peace-if you are recently gluten free, your body is probably still healing. You may be reacting to "safe" foods because your body is still damaged by Celiac and it just isn't working right yet. For many people it takes months. So, just because you are potentially reacting to something now doesn't mean that it is necessarily gluten. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Food tolerance issues post-diagnosis
      In light of the studies that found some probiotics that are labeled gluten-free yet tested over 20ppm I wouldn't touch them. Now those would be the powder or pill forms. Yogurt is not affected by that. Since you don't have a problem with dairy then I would say eat some yogurt every day. I like Chobani Greek because it has more kinds of cultures. Remember now that powder or pill forms of probiotics do not come under the gluten-free labeling law. The same for OTC & prescription meds. You need to check every single one of those. There are a few online sites where you can check things like that or ask here but as far as prescription meds -- call the manufacturer EVERY TIME. I also wanted to tell you in case you didn't already know that since celiac is genetic and can present at ANY age then all your first degree relatives need to be tested every 2 years in the absence of symptoms and immediately if symptoms present between the 2 year periods. As far as the digestive enzymes go, I tried Digest Gold for a short time & it really didn't seem to do anything for me however I will say I had a lot of issues going on at the time so I might not know if they helped or not. I decided to quit them in order to take that out of the equation so I could try to pin down what was causing me distress. The fewer things in the mix you know. I have heard people report the same as your consultant said. Some say they helped & some say they didn't. Remember Jammy, you're just in the beginning stages. I KNOW you want to heal & heal FAST. Been there, done that! It's like this: you didn't get sick overnight & you're not going to heal overnight. Patience is the watchword here. It's hard I know! You just want to get on with your life. We can all relate.  Again, I'm going to say to eat foods easy on your gut. WELL cooked foods. No raw carrots, coconut, nuts & stuff like that. Easier on your gut would be nut butters.... peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter etc.... It's sort of like being a baby ---  soft, easy to digest foods. Bone broth is a great healer for you gut & extremely nutritious as well as being easy on the digestion. Here's just one recipe: http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth/
    • Food tolerance issues post-diagnosis
      Thanks for the tip! Will try that out in the next few days. By the way, has anyone had any joy with probiotics or digestive enzymes in terms of symptom relief/speeding up the healing process? I asked my consultant about this when I saw him last week and he said that some people find them beneficial while others don't, but obviously I'm keen to try anything that may help, with uncomfortable fullness/bloating/gas still being my main issue  - is it worth giving them a go?
    • Are The Following Gluten-free?
      I realize that this is an old thread but I would just like to say something about label reading. Just because a product says gluten free on the label doesn't mean that you don't have to read any further and can have complete trust in the product.  There are a lot of products that state that they are gluten free on the package and then you find out that they are processed in plants that also produce wheat products. If you are super sensitive, you need to know that information. I am afraid that there is no escaping reading labels in supermarkets unless you know that the company makes it's products in a truly gluten free environment (even then you should read labels because ingredients can and do change, even in products made in gluten free facilities), It's a pain to stand there and read labels but if you are super sensitive, you might just have to do that. For example, I am gluten and lactose intolerant but also sensitive to nuts and sesame. While it may be fine for other gluten intolerant people to eat something that's labeled gluten free which is produced in a gluten free facility that also processes nuts, for me it is not.. 
    • Golden Bell Pepper Soup (Gluten-Free)
      Dipping your spoon into this bell pepper–sweet potato combo is like dipping into a bowl of sunshine. It's stunning—and the perfect antidote to a gloomy winter's day. This soup also freezes well, so if you're not serving a crowd, store the leftovers for a later date (or make a double batch). I like to enjoy this soup accompanied by my Massaged Kale Salad with Spicy Hazelnuts View the full article
    • Southern-style BBQ Chicken (Gluten-Free)
      Barbecue season is upon us once again, and when I want barbecued chicken, nothing else will do. This recipe makes a sweet, tangy barbecue chicken that will have people smiling. View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    The sweet cheeks