This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Picky Eater

celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie Rookie

okay,

first, i'll say i dont know if i've got celiac or not... but i've been testing w/diet/foods lately... my Dr isnt quite listening at this stage - so i thought i'd do this myself.

now...

i'm a veggie... that's picky enough & i HATE asking restaurants to make special things for me... especially when so many people are ignorant - i'm sure you all can relate!

i've heard "fish isnt meat" or if i ask for no eggs or no cheese (as i'm lactose intol. too) they look at me funny.

the best i heard was on a caesar salad "bacon isnt really meat". *lol*

so now i have this strange feeling about asking a restaurant for veggie AND gluten stuff.

yeah, they wont mess that up! *not*

any ideas or recommendations?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I usually just eat salads out or a baked potato. I don't eat dairy nor animals. Recently, I went to Wildfire and they had good stuff for veggies.

• 3 weeks later...
sewfunky Rookie

I've been a vegetarian (not vegan) for 11 years and gluten free for less than one month. Eating out is a challenge. The support group in San Antonio, TX (which is close to where I live) has a list of restaurants and the food that is gluten-free. Even if you don't live near San Antonio, it lists some chain restaurants. Or maybe a support group in your city has a similar list. When I go out to eat (and I still go out to eat), I eat Mexican or Chinese. I do eat dairy, so I eat a lot of enchiladas, chalupas, or migas. If you're diet is dairy-free - that's harder. A baked potato, salad, and fresh veggies may be all that you can eat while dining out. But check you local support group for more info. There also may be a lactose intolerant support group with restaurant lists.

• 3 weeks later...
angels4lyn Newbie

HI, Sewfunky....

I noticed you mentioned a support group in San Antonio TX.

is this for the celiac/Gluten Free ? or something else.

I live in San Antonio and it would be great to find a local support group.

thanks

Lyn

I've been a vegetarian (not vegan) for 11 years and gluten free for less than one month. Eating out is a challenge. The support group in San Antonio, TX (which is close to where I live) has a list of restaurants and the food that is gluten-free. Even if you don't live near San Antonio, it lists some chain restaurants. Or maybe a support group in your city has a similar list. When I go out to eat (and I still go out to eat), I eat Mexican or Chinese. I do eat dairy, so I eat a lot of enchiladas, chalupas, or migas. If you're diet is dairy-free - that's harder. A baked potato, salad, and fresh veggies may be all that you can eat while dining out. But check you local support group for more info. There also may be a lactose intolerant support group with restaurant lists.
hathor Contributor

I've followed a vegan diet for over 6 years and only recently went gluten-free.

I've found it easiest at ethnic restaurants (plus I like the food better), although Italian and Mexican are more difficult. (But in Italy itself we had no problems; they always seemed to have a main dish available of assorted grilled veggies.) Check what side dishes are available at any restaurant; I've often chosen several and made a meal out of those: beans, rice, potatoes, veggies, etc. Try to choose at least one that is starchy lest you go hungry. Any place with a good salad bar also works.

If you have to go to a particular restaurant for some reason, talk to the maitre'd or your waiter if you can't find anything on the menu. I've only known one restaurant (a rather snooty, expensive place to be seen and network in DC) that has refused to come up with something to accommodate. My husband occasionally has to go there for business meetings; they refuse to even leave the cheese sauce off of broccoli! So he gets carryout before the meeting and brings it in the restaurant. Stupid people.

Anyway, many places have a veggie plate even if it isn't on the menu, since they get plenty of vegetarians. Once you have established that, you can ask how the veggies will be prepared -- and spring the "no gluten" thing on them :lol: Also, many Asian places will substitute tofu for meat in dishes or leave out the meat entirely if you ask.

Yeah, I've heard the "you eat fish/chicken, right?" thing before. I stopped answering, "Only the fish and chicken that is picked from a bush," because I just got weird looks :rolleyes: Bacon not being a meat is a new one for me. I thought it was bad when we were told that fresh mozzarella isn't cheese because it's "fresh." Huh?

On the other hand, I can't count the number of times people ask us if we can drink wine. My husband just tells them we can, as long as it isn't made from meat. Again the strange looks ensue, but he doesn't care.

I just joined a yahoo group for people following a gluten-free, vegan diet. You might want to do the same. (There's another one for vegetarian and gluten-free.) There are a few of us on the gluten-free forum at www.drmcdougall.com, too. Now, McDougalling and gluten-free is even harder, because you try to avoid added fat, too! Often dining out I just give up on that part. But then I'm not trying to lose weight and I don't add fat to anything (and limit high fat plant foods) at home.

celiacgirls Apprentice
HI, Sewfunky....

I noticed you mentioned a support group in San Antonio TX.

is this for the celiac/Gluten Free ? or something else.

I live in San Antonio and it would be great to find a local support group.

thanks

Lyn

Here is the website for the San Antonio/Austin celiac support group. www.alamoceliac.org

quantumsugar Apprentice

It may actually help you in the restaurant dept. I have a vegan friend who always used to tell servers that he had allergies to meat/milk/eggs to keep his food safe. Saying you have "severe reactions" (or what have you) to some foods might give you some legitmacy instead of them thinking of you as a picky eater. And you don't really have to clarify which foods give you Celiac troubles and which are an ethical choice. Just a thought. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

lol :) I do understand that being vegetarian is harder in some areas than others. Visit the west coast some time - they're pretty good with it. ;)

Archived