- - - - -

Gluten-free Beer By Bud

• Please log in to reply

82 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlabamaGirl_*

Guest_AlabamaGirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

My uncle works for Budweiser, and he told me a few months ago that Bud was coming out with a gluten/wheat free beer. He brought me a sample yesterday and I just drank it tonight. It's pretty dang good, but that may just be because I haven't had a beer in years. I'm waiting for some kind of reaction, but so far so good! (Gluten hits me usually within the hour.) Anyway, it still contains hops, and my husband thought this was a grain??? Does anyone know what hops is? I assume it doesn't contain gluten, but I can't eat many grains, even gluten-free ones like rice and buckwheat.

Anyway, if anyone likes beer and has been missing it like me, I think it's supposed to be in stores next week. It's called Redbridge, and it's made from sorghum. It's pretty stout, if you like your beers dark like I do.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JenKuz

JenKuz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

My uncle works for Budweiser, and he told me a few months ago that Bud was coming out with a gluten/wheat free beer. He brought me a sample yesterday and I just drank it tonight. It's pretty dang good, but that may just be because I haven't had a beer in years. I'm waiting for some kind of reaction, but so far so good! (Gluten hits me usually within the hour.) Anyway, it still contains hops, and my husband thought this was a grain??? Does anyone know what hops is? I assume it doesn't contain gluten, but I can't eat many grains, even gluten-free ones like rice and buckwheat.

Anyway, if anyone likes beer and has been missing it like me, I think it's supposed to be in stores next week. It's called Redbridge, and it's made from sorghum. It's pretty stout, if you like your beers dark like I do.

Hops is a tree-bud used to flavor beer and control fermentation...see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hops

Totally grain free: drink away! Wish I could try it, too! What grain is it made with, incidentally, do you know? In some places, corn beer is really popular, and I've been wishing that it were available here in the US.

In fact, if I recall, some of the breweries in Africa are run by Bud (or was it Miller?); anyhow, maybe that was their inspiration.

The maize beer *is* dang good.
Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24
Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

#3 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:21 PM

Hops is the stuff that gives beer its bite-y taste. The grain is mellow and sweet, the hops is generally a little on the bitter side. It is an herb.

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:43 AM

when will this product make it to stores? Or will it be at bars only?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

I bought my first case of Red Bridge a few weeks ago. I guess my area must have been a test market or something. It's really good. I found it to be a relatively light beer compared to Bard's Tale. It has a slightly perfume-like quality to it. It's very good though. I got a case at my local distributor, but I imagine it will be in bars soon. I heard rumors that the production on the line was halted, though I don't know if there's any validity to the rumor. I haven't personally contacted Anheiser-Busch to verify or disprove this. I did, however, contact them a month ago to verify that Red Bridge was 100% gluten free.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#6 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:35 AM

Just called AB again to follow up on inquiry about production and availability of "Red Bridge". The person had no knowledge of any problems with the product and will get back with me on the availabity of the product in the US.

Tom

#7 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

Woo-Hoo!!! Tom, that's such good news. I was gearing up to call A-B while my little one took a nap. Now, I guess you saved me the trouble. Thanks. I hope you're able to get some in your area soon.
~Angie~

#8 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:18 PM

Whole Foods in Duluth GA wine manager told me they will have Redbridge gluten-free beer for sale at least next week if they don't have it this weekend. This was about an hour ago. There are rumors that Walmart will have it in some places this week but as I don't shop there, I can't verify that one. That was posted on list serv on Friday.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#9 linz7997

linz7997

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

it came to indy about 3 wks ago...it was however, recalled last week....they said there was a contamination (so beware) issue but they think it will be restocked by the end of the month. its like $35 a case. thats almost cheap compared to the other gluten-free beers!!!
gluten free since 7/21/06

#10 Guest_AlabamaGirl_*

Guest_AlabamaGirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

$35 a case??? Wow. I should enjoy my free six-pack. My uncle seemed to think that Redbridge would be distributed in ALL stores, bars, (whoever carries Budweiser) beginning in a week or two. I'm hoping I can just find it in my local Publix or Bruno's. The nearest Whole Foods Market is about 1 1/2 hours away.

Here is the description of Redbridge on the National Distributors, Inc. website:

We are excited to announce the national rollout of a very special product made without wheat or barley, REDBRIDGE, Beer Made From Sorghum. (Sorghum is a safe grain for those allergic to wheat or gluten.)

Why Brew Beer from Sorghum?
Today 3.2 million people (1 in every 133) are allergic to wheat and are diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Redbridge provides consumers with a product they currently are unable to enjoy, and it's brewed from a trused company. Many adults choose to live a wheat-free or gluten-free diet

Ingredients: Sorghum, corn, yeast, Imported Hallertau and Domestic Cascade hop varieties and water.

Flavor: A rich, hearty and full-bodied Lager, brewed from sorghum for a well-balanced, moderately hoppy taste.

Redbridge and Anheuser-Busch are proud supporters of the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness.

#11 Guest_AlabamaGirl_*

Guest_AlabamaGirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

P.S. National Distributors website says that Redbridge will be distributed in January 2007.
Hope this info helps! Please post (and I'll do the same) if anyone runs across it in standard grocery stores.

#12 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

It should be on the stores of several Walmarts this week. I'm not sure if it's a nationwide Walmart product or not. I shared some of my Bard's Tale with a real beer drinker last night and he thought it was good and just tasted like beer. Let's hope Redbridge is just as good or better!
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#13 Sterndogg

Sterndogg

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

The Redbridge site is up and running - not fully functional yet but at least this means they are getting close. You can enter your DOB (won't be able to see the text) and then enter the site.

http://www.redbridgebeer.com/

Cheers!

#14 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

P.S. National Distributors website says that Redbridge will be distributed in January 2007.
Hope this info helps! Please post (and I'll do the same) if anyone runs across it in standard grocery stores.

Red Bridge is already being distributed in a few areas. I believe PA and IN have distribution in some areas. I know we have a major distribution chain carrying it here in the Lancaster/Lebanon area of PA. Keep asking your local distributor, grocery store, restaurant, and bars to carry it. The more requests they get for it, the more likely it will begin popping up in your area.

BTW, this beer is worth the wait. I got mine for $29.99 a case and that's virtually the same price as regular beer for this area. :)
~Angie~

#15 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

Just got off the phoned with AB in Missouri. Person told me the national release date for "Red Bridge" was yesterday. Like Angie said our next step is to contact the various retail outlets ( beverage stores, supermarkets, resturants, and taverns etc.) who will in turn contact the AB distributor for that area. Once the demand is noticed then we will see it showing up in more places. Good luck to all and CHEERS!

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: