13 replies to this topic

#1 shai76

shai76

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

I also was hoping someone could tell me if burger king or other restaurants have gluten in their fries.
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:32 PM

McDonalds fries are safe. However, there is some debate around this topic. If you are in Canada, New York Fries are safe too.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#3 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

I believe the issue with Wendy's fries are that they are fried in the same vat as the chicken nuggets & fried chicken sandwhich breasts. Wendy's has a gluten-free area on their website at http://www.wendys.com

Editing to add that Chik-fil-a waffle fries are gluten-free and YUMMY!!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#4 shai76

shai76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:42 PM

I believe the issue with Wendy's fries are that they are fried in the same vat as the chicken nuggets & fried chicken sandwhich breasts. Wendy's has a gluten-free area on their website at http://www.wendys.com

Editing to add that Chik-fil-a waffle fries are gluten-free and YUMMY!!

Thanks!
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

Check the websites of all the big chains and they list information on there (BK, ChickFILA, McDs, Wendys).

However, there is always a risk of cross contamination, esp with the oil (using it to fry other things). Some places say they never fry anything else, but people have reacted. So, if you get sick, its not your imagination :)

Good luck.

#6 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:52 PM

I just noticed your signature: allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, fish, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, corn, beans/legumes

if you can't have legumes....isn't peanut a legume? Some places use peanut oil.

if you are allergic to corn, you will need to know if their salt is iodized, bc many salts (including regular table salt at home, Morton's) has corn derivatives in it.

(I'm not sure if you were asking for you or for someone else, but I wanted to add that)

#7 amber_rose

amber_rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

My Wendy's has a dedicated frier. But my Burger King is a definite no. They fry they're frys in the same oil as everything else thats breaded.

#8 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

According to this list, french fries at Wendy's are not on their gluten free list. http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf

but according to this list: http://www.wendys.co...lergen_list.pdf
the ingredients are safe, it will depend on if they use a dedicated fryer.

#9 shai76

shai76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

I just noticed your signature: allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, fish, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, corn, beans/legumes

if you can't have legumes....isn't peanut a legume? Some places use peanut oil.

if you are allergic to corn, you will need to know if their salt is iodized, bc many salts (including regular table salt at home, Morton's) has corn derivatives in it.

(I'm not sure if you were asking for you or for someone else, but I wanted to add that)

I react to some legumes, but not all. So far not peanuts, but I develope new allergies all the time. So I try not to eat them too often. I haven't eaten anything at any restaurant in a long time. I am just curious because I thought I might try it, but I'm in no hurry to use my epipen either.

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

Shai-
I don't blame you about the epipen! I was having health issues this summer and fall and I was reacting to all but 8 foods...it was a nightmare. I can symphathize with you on that. Corn to me was the kicker....I had no idea it was in everything. It makes gluten look like a cakewalk!!!!!! There is a neat corn free cookbook that Living Without Magazine offers, but I'm not so sure how helpful it will be when you have multiple allergies (I ordered it right before I realized I was reacting to most everything, so I never really used it much).
Good luck :) :) :)

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:10 AM

I also was hoping someone could tell me if burger king or other restaurants have gluten in their fries.

McDonald's fries contain wheat and milk. They are not safe.

http://www.mcdonalds.../allergens.html

#12 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:46 AM

Julie,
There have been many, many threads about McDonald's fries. Here is an article about it. http://www.celiac.co...-01106423369.76

I also suggest doing a search on this board and reading some of the discussions ... here is one of them: http://www.glutenfre...mp;hl=mcdonalds

The GIG has independently tested them and they are safe in terms of being gluten free.

Take care,
Laura

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Wendy's fried aren't on their gluten-free list simply because not all locations have dedicated fryers. If the location you visit has a dedicated fryer, they're gluten-free. But fast food places are inherently risky.

richard

#14 wonkabar

wonkabar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:54 AM

My son has eaten Wendy's fries quite a few times without any issues...watch, I probably jinxed myself! :P If you call, ask to speak to a manager and be *very* specific about what you mean by a dedicated frier.

I have to say that the Wendy's by me has been incredibly helpful and mindful of the need for gluten-free. When I order my son's plain burger and fries, I immediately tell them he has an allergy (it's just easier) and absolutely must have a fresh burger that did not touch the bun. They've actually waited until I've come to the window to pay before they even pack his food to confirm that they've "got it right."

I don't do Mc Donald fries....way too much controversy and way too big of a risk. Just MHO. Wendy's is just as convenient for me to buy as a treat.
~Kristy~

Zachary (5 y/o son) -negative labs, no biopsy, gluten-free diet 3/06 with amazing results
*Enterolab testing: auto-immune response, main-Celiac gene/HLA-DQ 2, non-Celiac gluten sensitivity gene/HLA-DQ 3

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!"

--Oh The Places You'll Go
by Dr. Seuss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: