This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Xanthum Gum

zachsmom

zachsmom Enthusiast

It seems funny that Flour is such a big thing right now.... there is so much to consider when used in the wrong way can kill you( lol )

But what I need to know... is this

Is xanthum gum needed in every flour mix( yes I realize that if its allready added duh ... but if you use say kinniknick ... or make your own out of rice .. pototo ... ect... do you need ...

I just ready .... a ladys post .... she has a cute doggie in a christmas hat... tom sawyers flour.... and recipies that have no xanthum gum.... is it a given that you put it in.... or are the recipies missing it because ... wheat folk have no clue as to what it is because ... they dont need it? and these are regulare recipies converted... and you smart guys automatically know to put in the xanthum gum?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

The recipes I use always say to use x amount of flour (or flour mix) and then use y amount of xanthan. I know I saw something somewhere that said if it's cookies use this much xanthan, if it's cake use that much, if it's bread use that much, but I can't find it right now.

Try a google search and I'll try to find it, but I'm pretty busy this week with the kids off and I'm working extra hours while others are on vacation. If/when I find it, I'll post it.

Jestgar Rising Star

I don't put it into anything that I don't need to rise very much (cookies, pancakes...) because I don't like the taste.

jerseyangel Proficient

Here's some information you might find helpful--it explains it better than I could :D

Open Original Shared Link

I agree with Jestgar on the cookies, pancakes, etc. I don't care for the taste/texture, so I don't use it unless absolutely necessary. I find I do need it for breads, quickbreads and cakes.

I also want to add that Bob's Red Mill xanthan gum has glutened me and one other member that I know of. <_<

RiceGuy Collaborator

From the Open Original Shared Link site:

"Tom Sawyer All Purpose Gluten Free Flour is a blended flour of rice and tapioca flours, xanthan gum, and unflavored gelatin."

Basically, flour needs something to make the dough sticky/stretchy. In wheat flour, that's what gluten does, but in gluten-free flours, we need to add something to make up for the fact that there isn't any gluten in it.

As for me, I dislike the idea of using an excretion of a microbe in my food, so I am going to use guar gum instead. According to what I've read, guar gum actually makes a spongier (cake-like) texture, while xanthan makes a stretchier (bread-like) texture. I haven't seen any references to the difference in taste that these things might impart.

Guhlia Rising Star

I use xantham gum in everything I bake. I've had way too many failures from forgetting it or not adding enough.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Okay, I found the thing I mentioned earlier. It says:

Xanthan measures for regular recipe conversion

For every cup of gluten free flour use:

1/2 tsp xanthan/guar gum for cakes and most cookies

1 tsp xanthan/guar gum for breads or pizza

I have no idea where I found this info. Somewhere on the information highway. I haven't tried to convert recipes, so all the recipes I use call for a specific amount of xanthan.

I hope that helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zachsmom Enthusiast

I noticed that when the zanthum gum was put in the cookie dough .. It turned shiny and had a weird texture..... That was odd.... DOes guar gum have any weird things like that.... is it the same adding to the flours......

I really did not like the taste.

lonewolf Collaborator

I always use Xanthan gum when I bake. I've never noticed a funny taste or texture, unless I've used too much or not sifted it in with the flour first. I ALWAYS sift the flour and xanthan gum together at least 3 times. Be sure to not use too much, 1/2 - 3/4 TEASPOON per cup is usually enough. If you're getting a funny taste or shiny dough you've either used too much or not had it incorporated into the flour well enough. I've noticed that you can get away with less or none if you use flour mixes that have bean flours in them, but I don't like their taste.

dragonmom Apprentice

I made one batch of cookies without xanthum gum and one with,, the one with was moister and had a better texture and wasn't as hard. I will keep using the xanthum gum.

• 2 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I've had success using it. I just add a pinch since I'm usually quickly throwing everything in!

larry mac Enthusiast

I noticed the shiny thing also. You can really see the thickening effect. lm

I noticed that when the zanthum gum was put in the cookie dough .. It turned shiny and had a weird texture..... That was odd....
larry mac Enthusiast

LW,

I hate to do it cause it's a PITA, on top of an already big deal, but I probably need to start sifting with the Xanthan Gum. I sifted (but only 1 time) when I made my last big batch of 4 flour blend, but I didn't put any other ingredients in it. Do you pre-sift, or sift each time you bake something? lm

I always use Xanthan gum when I bake. I've never noticed a funny taste or texture, unless I've used too much or not sifted it in with the flour first. I ALWAYS sift the flour and xanthan gum together at least 3 times. Be sure to not use too much, 1/2 - 3/4 TEASPOON per cup is usually enough. If you're getting a funny taste or shiny dough you've either used too much or not had it incorporated into the flour well enough. I've noticed that you can get away with less or none if you use flour mixes that have bean flours in them, but I don't like their taste.

Archived