Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Maltitol, Isomalt

8 posts in this topic

My Mum gave me these gluten-free lollies to eat, and now have crippling stomach pain and D. They have maltitol & isomalt. Is that safe ? They didn't even taste nice :lol: Next time I listen to my own body !

Ads by Google:

Maltitol is made from corn and isomalt is made from soy--do have any intolerances to these? They are not gluten.

both are difficult to digest and can give you stomach problems. They do not contain gluten but they really make me sick!

I know I no longer tolerate any sugar alcohols since going gluten free. SA's are a long chain carb and are very hard to digest. I can't even chew sugar free gum without serious stomach cramps. :(

Both are laxatives. I can't tolerate either one and they have a strange mouthfeel anyway.

They're sugar alcohols and, in the US if you read the label on candies made with them, it'll say they can have a laxative effect if you over indulge. Some people are more sensitive than others. They really give me horrible gas. :P In the US they're not derived from wheat, I can't speak for other countries though. There are other artificial sweeteners that are easier on the gut, sucralose, erythritol and I think xylitol are easier to tolerate.

BTW: Anything ending in -ol are sugar alcohols. They occur naturally in plants but not in the concentration we use them in sugar-free foods.

Maltitol, in particular, affects a lot of people that way - the label says laxative effect, but most people I know (myself included) have terrible bloating and gas. I discovered this even before I realized I had a gluten problem. So now whenever something is sugar free I check. Other sugar alcohols can have a similar effect, but from what I've heard, that one is the worst.

Malitol is a prescribled pediatric laxative (as well as a sugar alcohol). (I think it's anything that adds "itol" at the end is a sugar alcohol?). I know A LOT of the sugar free candies, chocolates, etc are made with them. They ALWAYS make me sick, but I don't think it's a gluten issue as much as a sensitive system issue. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't eat it again. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Are M&Ms Gluten Free?
      Olivia....what country are you located in?  I just bought a bag of regular M&M's from the vending machine at work. They are the milk chocolate ones and it is a 1.69 oz. bag.  The allergy warning states: Contains milk and soy. May contain peanuts.  The "best before" date on it is for April of 2017 so this is a recent bag.  
    • New to this gluten-free life
      Getting a diagnosis like celiac an be overwhelming because it's so complex and there's a lot to learn. If you're unhappy with your doctor, switching to a new one and/or getting a second opinion are options. It's really important to find someone you feel comfortable with who listens to your concerns. That being said, as you're preparing for your next appointment, take time to write down any questions that come up as you go about your day beginning to manage your condition and track any symptoms you're experiencing. Did your doctor discuss lifestyle changes and treatment options with you? Here are some examples of things to ask: What tests do I need? What treatment options are available? Should I take nutritional supplements? Are there any dietary restrictions that I need to follow? How will I learn which foods contain gluten? Should I see a dietitian? Can you recommend nutritionists who work with celiac patients? The Celiac Foundation is another resource. Their website has lots of information and resources. There's also the Celiac Support Association – they have local chapters, or the National Foundation for Celiac Awarenes. And check out magazines like Gluten-Free Living, Delight Gluten-Free and Living Without.  
    • Kidney disease question
      Totally agree Cristiana!
    • Kidney disease question
      Icelandgirl and I often remark, "There's always something [to be worried about]"! Whilst  is obviously important to have all these tests and there is good reason to check them (one reads that very occasionally doctors miss something) it has done my health anxiety absolutely no favours having blood test after blood test!    
    • Celiac Night Vision
      On 4th June I posted on the ehealth vision forum under the title seasonal night vision scotomas, but there were no replies. I have just had my eyes tested by an optometrist. Acuity is 20/25. She did field testing and Topcon tomography and did not find anything alarming for my age. However in dim lighting against a light background I can sometimes see a round slightly greenish area about 20 degrees across with lateral extensions to the blind spots. Shutting the eyes suddenly makes it a light area. The scotomas occur within this area. I can also see those intriguing blue arcs of the retina with both eyes (though they always look violet to me). Trying to identify what causes migraine, scotomas and possible celiac symptoms is notoriously difficult which is why there are no good papers on how to do it. I continue to keep a daily record of foods, symptoms and anything else which seems relevant listing what is being avoided and highlighting possible clues. notme! - we are eating tomatoes and potatoes this year! Good luck to other celiac detectives!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Sass