7 replies to this topic

#1 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

My Mum gave me these gluten-free lollies to eat, and now have crippling stomach pain and D. They have maltitol & isomalt. Is that safe ? They didn't even taste nice :lol: Next time I listen to my own body !

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:08 AM

Maltitol is made from corn and isomalt is made from soy--do have any intolerances to these? They are not gluten.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:07 PM

both are difficult to digest and can give you stomach problems. They do not contain gluten but they really make me sick!

#4 arc

arc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

I know I no longer tolerate any sugar alcohols since going gluten free. SA's are a long chain carb and are very hard to digest. I can't even chew sugar free gum without serious stomach cramps. :(

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

Both are laxatives. I can't tolerate either one and they have a strange mouthfeel anyway.

#6 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

They're sugar alcohols and, in the US if you read the label on candies made with them, it'll say they can have a laxative effect if you over indulge. Some people are more sensitive than others. They really give me horrible gas. :P In the US they're not derived from wheat, I can't speak for other countries though. There are other artificial sweeteners that are easier on the gut, sucralose, erythritol and I think xylitol are easier to tolerate.

BTW: Anything ending in -ol are sugar alcohols. They occur naturally in plants but not in the concentration we use them in sugar-free foods.

#7 sfm

sfm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Maltitol, in particular, affects a lot of people that way - the label says laxative effect, but most people I know (myself included) have terrible bloating and gas. I discovered this even before I realized I had a gluten problem. So now whenever something is sugar free I check. Other sugar alcohols can have a similar effect, but from what I've heard, that one is the worst.

#8 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Malitol is a prescribled pediatric laxative (as well as a sugar alcohol). (I think it's anything that adds "itol" at the end is a sugar alcohol?). I know A LOT of the sugar free candies, chocolates, etc are made with them. They ALWAYS make me sick, but I don't think it's a gluten issue as much as a sensitive system issue. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't eat it again. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: