Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Maltitol, Isomalt

8 posts in this topic

My Mum gave me these gluten-free lollies to eat, and now have crippling stomach pain and D. They have maltitol & isomalt. Is that safe ? They didn't even taste nice :lol: Next time I listen to my own body !

Ads by Google:

Maltitol is made from corn and isomalt is made from soy--do have any intolerances to these? They are not gluten.

both are difficult to digest and can give you stomach problems. They do not contain gluten but they really make me sick!

I know I no longer tolerate any sugar alcohols since going gluten free. SA's are a long chain carb and are very hard to digest. I can't even chew sugar free gum without serious stomach cramps. :(

Both are laxatives. I can't tolerate either one and they have a strange mouthfeel anyway.

They're sugar alcohols and, in the US if you read the label on candies made with them, it'll say they can have a laxative effect if you over indulge. Some people are more sensitive than others. They really give me horrible gas. :P In the US they're not derived from wheat, I can't speak for other countries though. There are other artificial sweeteners that are easier on the gut, sucralose, erythritol and I think xylitol are easier to tolerate.

BTW: Anything ending in -ol are sugar alcohols. They occur naturally in plants but not in the concentration we use them in sugar-free foods.

Maltitol, in particular, affects a lot of people that way - the label says laxative effect, but most people I know (myself included) have terrible bloating and gas. I discovered this even before I realized I had a gluten problem. So now whenever something is sugar free I check. Other sugar alcohols can have a similar effect, but from what I've heard, that one is the worst.

Malitol is a prescribled pediatric laxative (as well as a sugar alcohol). (I think it's anything that adds "itol" at the end is a sugar alcohol?). I know A LOT of the sugar free candies, chocolates, etc are made with them. They ALWAYS make me sick, but I don't think it's a gluten issue as much as a sensitive system issue. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't eat it again. :)