This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugghhhhh!

pinkpei77

pinkpei77 Contributor

i dont know what it is, but lately i have been so upset about having celiac and just generally ticked off about it.

it just really gets in the way . i feel like my life is so far from being normal..

i cant go out to eat with friends, i cant eat at family meals. im sick of all the same crap i eat.

im sick of people saying "well, what CAN you eat"

im sick of when im hungry it taking 45 minutes to make anything half way good to eat.

im sick of watching people eat things that i used to LOVE.

im sick of hearing "we could eat at ..oh.. wait.. no we cant"

im sick of having to cook everything i eat.

im sick sick sick of celiac. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

OK.

I think every one has days like this, (maybe weeks, possibly a year, maybe two,)

What do you want to do about it?

I started entertaining at home a lot more. Every where I look in my house I have memories of a good time or two.

I started trying to bake and cook a lot more foods. No pressure, if it doesn't turn out I blame it on gluten.

I did find out who my friends are, that some of my family are not to be counted on, and (pick me up from the floor) my in-laws are great caring people.

I hope you realize you have Celiac, it doesn't have you.

Laura

tarnalberry Community Regular
i dont know what it is, but lately i have been so upset about having celiac and just generally ticked off about it.

it just really gets in the way . i feel like my life is so far from being normal..

i cant go out to eat with friends, i cant eat at family meals. im sick of all the same crap i eat.

im sick of people saying "well, what CAN you eat"

im sick of when im hungry it taking 45 minutes to make anything half way good to eat.

im sick of watching people eat things that i used to LOVE.

im sick of hearing "we could eat at ..oh.. wait.. no we cant"

im sick of having to cook everything i eat.

im sick sick sick of celiac. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

most of those issues can be worked around.

you *can* go out to eat with friends (though your options will be very limited many times) if you do the research ahead of time (silly yaks guide is helpful, and free, here).

you *can* eat at family meals if they're in any way willing to work with you. you still can if they're not by bringing your own food.

you *can* prepare good food in less than 45 minutes, but if you're not used to cooking that way, it'll take some time.

it may require more adapting - more changing - than you've done so far. I know; it's easier for some than others. but you can learn to not be dependent on the wheat based packaged items that our culture 'lives' on. it can be a tough learning process, and can be mentally challenging when you're faced to drop assumptions and look at things in a totally new and different way that isn't anything like what you've learned in the past. but it is possible. it sounds like it may need a new approach after two years.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Sorry you are having such a rough time.

When I get depressed I eat an orange!!! Hard to be unhappy with all those little bursts of goodness from one little orange section.

I came home from work last night & made a great stir fry in 30 minutes & I was not even prepared.

Cooked fresh rice in the microwave, 20 minutes, although I had some in the freezer, fresh is good.

While that was cooking I stir fryed the onions, cabbage, green beans, garlic, broccoli, red bell pepper (which was what I had in the refrig), took a bag of chopped up turkey out of the freezer & crumbled it over the veggies to heat it up, mixed up the sauce (which I am thinking I should mix up a batch of this on the weekend to keep in the refrig for a mid-week meal, because it is about the most time consuming. Sauce: 3 Tablespoons gluten-free saoy sauce, 1 Tablespoon Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce, 1 Tablespoon ketchup or tomato paste (no corn syrup in tomato paste), 1 Tablespoon water, 1 Tablespoon of Honey or Brown Sugar 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 heaping teaspoon Thai Red Chili Paste (optional), 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, whisk all together in a measuring cup or bowl, pour over veggies, stir till thickened, serve over rice, sprinkle with cashew nuts !!! Brought the leftovers to work today for lunch!!! GOOD

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I go out to eat and attend family meals. I usually bring my own food or eat before hand. I always have with me my homemade vinegar and oil dressing that does not need to be refrigerated. Most restaurants have salad. For me it's about the company of family and friends not the food.

I cook "Gluten Free" in 30 minutes or less" on a routine basis. Examples are below:

Homemade spaghetti sauce - browned hamburger, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, dried onion, and Italian spice- combine bring to a boil and simmer. Serve over rice.

Mexican Casserole - Corn Tortillas, hamburger browned with Mexican spice, salt, pepper, dried onion and a small amount of tomato sauce, refried beans (verify gluten free), and cheese. Layer the corn tortillas, hamburger, refried beans and cheese into a casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Make extra when you cook, especially if it is something you really like. This way all you have to do is reheat a meal in the microwave.

Being Gluten Free only gets in the way of your life if you let it and it will get easier.

winki4 Apprentice

I'll second the part about "you find out who your friends are". I'm truly humbled by the people I know that go out of their way to learn about and make something special just for me at dinners in their homes. A few days ago, a couple brought over lentil soup wih bread for everyone to enjoy before a film we were seeing. It was fantastick and completely gluten free. Gems, each of them!

Mountaineer Josh Apprentice

I feel the same way right now. I'm sick and tired of this stupidity. DEVELOP A PILL SO WE CAN LEAD NORMAL LIVES!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Colleen & Josh, my husband agrees but until it happens it's such a pain in neck, so much to think about, so much to be concerned about especially when you have other sensitivities.

Try to keep positive and find ways around the "dead ends" of these situations.

happygirl Collaborator

Just wanted to add that I think that we have ALL had those days/periods of times where we have felt like you. It is no fun. :( I hope that this board provides you the support and resources you need so that you won't feel so down. Anything in particular we can do to help? Looking for a good quick recipe for something in particular?

(I was diagnosed at age 22 in grad school...i.e., poor and no time :). My meals don't take 45 minutes. If they do, its cause I forgot to set the timer, ha ;)).

Let us know what we can do.

Take care,

Laura

pinkpei77 Contributor

thanks for the support everyone!

i guess its just one of those things when everyone sits down to a huge christmas dinner and there i am with spaghetti (again)

also we just moved to kansas city and its taking a while to get re-established and we dont have as much money for groceries and we are staying in a friends house ( downstairs apartment type thing)

BUT....we dont have a stove down here and i dont like having all my groceries downstairs and having to go upstairs to cook.. then go downstairs while its cooking.. back up to check on it or if i forgot an ingriedient...and so on and so forth.

so im not really cooking much.. mostly just things in the microwave. BLAH.

and i really DO enjoy cooking and im sure when we move into our place in a few weeks it will be better.

im sure its just a phase.. and i guess its just me wanting things to be easier..

but no one ever said life way easy!!!

and i know it could be worse.

thanks for letting me vent.

coleen

pinkpei77 Contributor

thanks for the support everyone!

i guess its just one of those things when everyone sits down to a huge christmas dinner and there i am with spaghetti (again)

also we just moved to kansas city and its taking a while to get re-established and we dont have as much money for groceries and we are staying in a friends house ( downstairs apartment type thing)

BUT....we dont have a stove down here and i dont like having all my groceries downstairs and having to go upstairs to cook.. then go downstairs while its cooking.. back up to check on it or if i forgot an ingriedient...and so on and so forth.

so im not really cooking much.. mostly just things in the microwave. BLAH.

and i really DO enjoy cooking and im sure when we move into our place in a few weeks it will be better.

im sure its just a phase.. and i guess its just me wanting things to be easier..

but no one ever said life way easy!!!

and i know it could be worse.

thanks for letting me vent.

coleen

Archived