This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could I Have Glutened My Eyes?

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

Today, I put some eye, re-wetting drops in my eyes, left over from my children from the holidays.

Now, my eyes are VERY dilated and VERY blurry. So, read the label of ingredients: polyvinyl alcohol.

Is it possible, that I had glutened my eyes? What do you all think. This is very odd.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Villanfam

Did anyone else use the eye drops before you? It could just be a reaction to them. You should probably see a Dr. right away though.

Definition of Polyvinyl alcohol on Wikipedia :Open Original Shared Link

Kassie Apprentice

i highly doubt you glutened your eyes. i dont even think thats possible. its probably just an allergic reaction

Lisa Mentor

I know that gluten can only be ingested and some react to inhaling. But, could someone react through porous tissue as the eyes and get an alergic reaction, if you are celiac or gluten senstive?

Guhlia Rising Star

My eyesight gets funky if I'm in a place where flour is in the air... I don't know why, it just does. I also get itchy and end up with a rash. Perhaps there is something to what you're saying. I never really thought about it before.

Lisa Mentor

Polyvinyl Alcohol can be used in weapons of mass destruction..........so, dumb a$$, that I am, put it in my eyes. :blink:

Guest Villanfam
Polyvinyl Alcohol can be used in weapons of mass destruction..........so, dumb a$$, that I am, put it in my eyes. :blink:

hehehehe...you've got me giggling now :lol:. You should still see a doctor (no pun intended :D hahahaha)

Sorry for that

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
hehehehe...you've got me giggling now :lol:. You should still see a doctor (no pun intended :D hahahaha)

Sorry for that

I clicked on a site to learn about what it was derived from and it brought me to a site about WMD's and how to......guess the FBI will be calling in the morning. :unsure: Must get up early and dress.

Guest Villanfam

Just make sure your eyes aren't still dilated when you open the door. Could be trouble ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I know that gluten can only be ingested and some react to inhaling. But, could someone react through porous tissue as the eyes and get an alergic reaction, if you are celiac or gluten senstive?

Although in this case it sounds more like an allegic reaction gluten can be absorbed by the mucous membranes and could get into the bloodstream and brain through those membranes. If a person has neurological impairment because of the celiac this would be more of a problem because the GI tract may not be as adversely effected.

Lisa Mentor
Although in this case it sounds more like an allegic reaction gluten can be absorbed by the mucous membranes and could get into the bloodstream and brain through those membranes. If a person has neurological impairment because of the celiac this would be more of a problem because the GI tract may not be as adversely effected.

I think that you are correct. It takes more consumed gluten for me to react intestinaly. But in the year and a half that I have been dealing with this, the slightest amount can effect me neurologically. We traditionally do a pot-luck Christmas Dinner and as I tried to eat what is known, I am certain that gluten slipped in somewhere. Since, I have been, as my husband calls me "spring-loaded", sort of an edgy feeling.

Off topic, but the dilation is going away and the vision is clearing. It should be ok in the am.

Thanks for all of your impute.

ajay Newbie
Off topic, but the dilation is going away and the vision is clearing. It should be ok in the am.

Thanks for all of your impute.

I'm glad your eyes are getting better.

I've had problems with re-wetting drops too... I was very careful checking out the ingredients when I bought them, but they definitely stung and made me light sensitive (so they probably caused dilation). I don't know why. Guess maybe we're stuck with dry eyes. :blink:

Lisa Mentor

I'm glad your eyes are getting better.

I've had problems with re-wetting drops too... I was very careful checking out the ingredients when I bought them, but they definitely stung and made me light sensitive (so they probably caused dilation). I don't know why. Guess maybe we're stuck with dry eyes. :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

All better now, thank you.

tiffjake Enthusiast
:lol::lol::lol:

All better now, thank you.

I know I am REALLY late, but Eye Drops can not contain gluten. Gluten is not sterile, and is not isotonic (as eye drops must be to be placed in the eye area). Something that is isotonic will be able to pass through/into/around mucus membranes. There for it must be a certian salt/water ratio, so as not to change the blood pressure/salt content of the blood around the eye. If it is a sterile bottle, then it can not have gluten in it.

But if you have kids who play with your stuff, then it might not be gluten-free, just because of their hands. But just as is, right off of the shelf, then yes, it is gluten-free.

A good way to know if your drop are safe is to look for a NDC number on the box. It is like XXX_XXXX_XXX depending on when it was produced. That number means that it is registered in the National Drug database, and will have to follow FDC guides.

Hope that helps someone! Glad your eyes are better Momma Goose. I just happened onto this thread b/c I was going to see if you were talking about shampoo. I bought the new Hair Therapy Sun Silk stuff, the yellow one, wanting to thicken my hair. I saw the wheat protien on the label, but I thought "I don't get this in my eyes" and used it anyway. That first time I used it, my eyes BURNED! I gave it away, LOL. Learned my lesson!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Tiffany..my eye expert..was hoping you'd jump in:)

Lisa i can't believe you wrote this tonight...or i read tonight..anyway..as i was thinking the same thing.

i get crusty stuff on my eye lids and they itch.

went to dermotologist today and forgot to mention the eyes but she said i did have a yeast infection in areas 'where the skin rubs' and alos psoryisos.

need to start on cream tomorrow but i wondered if you can get yeast infection in or around your eyes. :blink:

judy

tiffjake Enthusiast
Tiffany..my eye expert..was hoping you'd jump in:)

Lisa i can't believe you wrote this tonight...or i read tonight..anyway..as i was thinking the same thing.

i get crusty stuff on my eye lids and they itch.

went to dermotologist today and forgot to mention the eyes but she said i did have a yeast infection in areas 'where the skin rubs' and alos psoryisos.

need to start on cream tomorrow but i wondered if you can get yeast infection in or around your eyes. :blink:

judy

HI there Judy! From what I understand, you can get it anywhere, but you have to "transfer" it there. Meaning, you would have to have touched the area that you have it now, and then touched your eyes. If you are on Diflucan, it will kill it on your eyes also. (That is a one time pill. It is pink. Fluconazole is the generic name.) I don't think there is an eye version, but other opthalmic anti-fungals should work, but you would need to see an eye doc (or have a really good primary doc) for these treatments.

Yeast infections of the mouth are called thrush in infants. It is not abnormal to have them in different parts of the body. I have a friend who had gastric bypass, and she gets them around her belly button because of the extra skin! Hope that helps!!!!

taz sharratt Enthusiast

i know im way late this but ive just had a similar problem with my eyes but i havent used any drops or any new makeup or anything. my eyes were sore and red and oozing gunge out, very painfull head ache with it as well. i wonderd if it was a result of being glutened too. by the way ive sufferd with cronic thrush for years and have had thrush in the mouth, arm-pit and the usual places so i can totally relate, its a royal pain in the bum.

tiffjake Enthusiast
i know im way late this but ive just had a similar problem with my eyes but i havent used any drops or any new makeup or anything. my eyes were sore and red and oozing gunge out, very painfull head ache with it as well. i wonderd if it was a result of being glutened too. by the way ive sufferd with cronic thrush for years and have had thrush in the mouth, arm-pit and the usual places so i can totally relate, its a royal pain in the bum.

If I were you, I would keep a stock of Diflucan on hand! That will kill the thrush. Might help with the eyes, but I don't know. That is more the opth. field.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Since we're talking about eyes . . . . I have plugs in my tear ducts because I don't produce enough tears . . . no big deal, really, and I'm going to have them cauterized so that they scar shut. The plugs come out too easily, and my insurance doesn't cover them. It could get VERY expensive, at this rate! I haven't ever had a problem with gooey eyes or anything like that . . . .

My question, though, is with regard to the new contact lens solution that claims to keep your lenses more moist during the day. We just got this, and the first day that I used my lenses after that, I ended up looking like I had pink-eye. It was icky. Then, I just used some anti-inflammatory eye drops that I have, it cleared and things were fine. I tried the lenses again -- same reaction. It wasn't as if I had pink-eye prior to soaking my lenses in the stuff.

The solution to enhance moisture in lenses (all brands) contains propylene glycol -- it's what they use to de-ice airplanes -- so I'm thinking it's probably not the greatest thing to be putting in my eyes, but I was wondering if anyone else had a reaction to it.

Any thoughts??????

Thanks,

Lynne

tiffjake Enthusiast
Since we're talking about eyes . . . . I have plugs in my tear ducts because I don't produce enough tears . . . no big deal, really, and I'm going to have them cauterized so that they scar shut. The plugs come out too easily, and my insurance doesn't cover them. It could get VERY expensive, at this rate! I haven't ever had a problem with gooey eyes or anything like that . . . .

My question, though, is with regard to the new contact lens solution that claims to keep your lenses more moist during the day. We just got this, and the first day that I used my lenses after that, I ended up looking like I had pink-eye. It was icky. Then, I just used some anti-inflammatory eye drops that I have, it cleared and things were fine. I tried the lenses again -- same reaction. It wasn't as if I had pink-eye prior to soaking my lenses in the stuff.

The solution to enhance moisture in lenses (all brands) contains propylene glycol -- it's what they use to de-ice airplanes -- so I'm thinking it's probably not the greatest thing to be putting in my eyes, but I was wondering if anyone else had a reaction to it.

Any thoughts??????

Thanks,

Lynne

I haven't had a problem like that. More than anything else, some solutions make my eyes itchy and dry feeling. The only time I get the pink-eye looking effect is around cats :) . Sorry Lynn!

Archived